The supreme power of the Iscorama!

richg101

36mpx full frame still from the Sony A7R with a sonnar 85mm and Iscorama 36:-

http://www.dropbox.com/s/fz1paa2uj1w5avo/A7R_Sonnar85mm_Iscorama36_f11.tif

The Iscorama is optically clear.  Clearer than air.  It's like nothing was put in front of the taking lens.  Unreal.

it would be really cool if we built up a database of high quality tif's of anamorphic setups for reference.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am shooting with my new Iscorama 36 (non MC) together with a C100 in Tokyo now and all I can say: WOW! It's just mind blowing. 

I have used so far my good old Helios 44 (non MC) and my new Zeiss Flektgon 35mm 2.8 (declicked) and thats just... hands down... on of the best lenses I have used for anamorphic shooting yet. 

So that tiff is 300mb??? 

and: do you recomment the Sonnar? I am looking for a longer lens as well. 

Which Zeiss Sonnar 85 are you trying it on exactly? Old exacta or newer CY or even newer ZE / ZF? F2.8 or F2.0? And which aperture was the sample shot at?

Hey Andrew.

It is the Rollei QBM mount Zeiss Sonnar 85mm 2.8 (non HFT).  this was at f11 so the results are more to be expected, but I wanted to show how the iscorama seems to be optically clear and does not do any degradation to the taking lens - even at 36megapixels

I am shooting with my new Iscorama 36 (non MC) together with a C100 in Tokyo now and all I can say: WOW! It's just mind blowing. 

I have used so far my good old Helios 44 (non MC) and my new Zeiss Flektgon 35mm 2.8 (declicked) and thats just... hands down... on of the best lenses I have used for anamorphic shooting yet. 

So that tiff is 300mb??? 

and: do you recomment the Sonnar? I am looking for a longer lens as well. 

The sonnar is a good lens.  however seems to have a bit of a collectors price tag on ebay.  if you see one for 100-150£ its worth it.

I'm never selling mine. I want to be buried with it. Rich: All the more reason to make a superior cine-mod !

I'm also ready with my 57 grams 1960's baby Hypergonar on M43 here at f1.6 on Qioptiq ;)

gallery_22216_108_5210128.jpg

( OM-D E-M5 + Qioptiq Mevis C-mount 35mm at f1.6 + baby Hypergonar 1.75X )

• 1 month later...

Spectacular! thanks for posting.

The Olympus plays quite nice. I'm still trying to find the perfect matching set of taking lens for the rama 36. Russians are nice but aside from the 44 they are a bit slow and inconsistent.

Considering going with a set of older manual Nikon's and running them through speedbooster on a s16 sensor.

Result should be a fast, cheap, accessible, rama compatible set of matching lenses.

What do you guys think?  what are ya fave taking lenses?  new thread?

Spectacular! thanks for posting.

The Olympus plays quite nice. I'm still trying to find the perfect matching set of taking lens for the rama 36. Russians are nice but aside from the 44 they are a bit slow and inconsistent.

Considering going with a set of older manual Nikon's and running them through speedbooster on a s16 sensor.

Result should be a fast, cheap, accessible, rama compatible set of matching lenses.

What do you guys think?  what are ya fave taking lenses?  new thread?

Undoubtably the helios 44-2 is the best lens on the iscorama 36 when used on aps-c.

for full frame, i have found the zeiss sonnar 85mmf2.8 is very well matched and is incredibly sharp.  the olympus 85mmf2 is a stop faster, but even at 2.8 cannot match the sonnar for sharpness, and at f2.8 has a horrible ninja star aperture shape which looks nasty on the bokeh when mated with the oval deformation, however I very much love the wide open f2 aperture for shots requiring selective focus where sharpness over the entire frame is not required.  

i really want to see the rama on full frame with the sonnar 135mmf2.8.  I predict great things.

funny thing is, the whole reason DSO was started was to make a lo-fi lens to get the Iscorama looking more like a smaller more humble 8mm anamorphic look.  The exact opposite of the lenses I list above, which exhibit very little of their own character to the image.  - even a standard helios 44 (from the early 80's, with more modern coatings) is very clean if the aperture is tweeked closed by half a stop.

based on the success of a marriage between the iscorama and a helios 44, it prompts my thinking into finding longer focal lengths based on the same optical arrangement as the helios 44.  (a simple double gauss design).  an early 80mm planar for medium format could be an ideal choice, though the pentagonal aperture might not be to everyone's taste - particularly in oval form.  

Interesting. Isco owners are lucky to have you testing and innovating for such a niche market.

I take it you have tried the Tair 135mm and Jupiter 9 85mm? I found them to play okay with iscorama although the Jupiter 9 gets a cheesy diffusion glow wide open. I've also tried a switar 25mm which was not the greatest match. I'm curious how modern glass like sigma primes fair too.

Honestly for narrative 35mm (mir24) and 58mm (helios) end up beng used for mosly, because I trust them not to do anything funky when I'm under the gun time wise, and also because I do a lot of shoulder rig or glidecam stuff and any longer becomes too hard to stabilize.

I'm moving onto the digital bolex which has an even smaller sensor but planning to use the 0.58x speedbooster to bring it up to a 1.74x crop, so I imagine I will continue to stay in 30-85mm range the majority of the time.

A set of DSO isco optimized for x2 oval spanning that range would sublime,   You selling or have plans for a standardized set?