True focal length??

landulf

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It should be the roughly the focal length of the taking lens divided by the stretch factor of the anamorphic.

An anamorphic lens doesn't have a focal length unless it has a built in taking lens so I have no Idea how you can have a 85mm lens attached to a 70mm anamorphic.

So I actually get a 50mm image with the GH3. Correct?

Yes, that would be the field of view (horizontally). However, this can actually change slightly if you have a lens that breathes. For instance, a close up shot might offer a true 2x stretch, but focusing to infinity with the same lens may give you a 1.7x stretch or a 1.8x stretch, and that can affect your final field of view. But this formula is good for a ballpark number.

So if I use my sankor 16D x2 with a nikkor 85 mm I get 85x2=170. 170/2=85. So is 85 correct?

If you are using a camera with a 2x crop sensor, then yes. GH3 and 2x lenses are always the easiest to calculate.

forget sensors in the equation IMO.  

the focal length of your lens remains what ever the taking lens is.  So any anamorphic lens in front of a 85mm is still a 85mm.

fov on the vertical remains the same as when you use the 85mm lens without the anamorphot.  

fov on the horizontal depends on the squeeze ratio.  Yours being a 2x anamorphic will result in a horizontal fov of a 42mm lens when used on your 85mm taking lens.

factoring in your full frame sensor...

your 85mm will give you the same fov as a 50mm lens on a super 35mm sensor.  

thus..  with the anamorphic lens and a 3.55:1 ratio you'll see the 50mm vertical fov most would expect from a s35mm sensor, and a horizontal fov of 25mm in the same terms.    if you crop to 2.40 the horizontal fov will be the same as what you would expect from a non anamorphic lens of roughly 35-40mm in focal length