blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k and 6k SSD limitations?

Dan Wake

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Don't do it, unless it's an experiment. Just stick with the approved media unless you want headaches.

IF you do do the experiment, let us know what happens (dropped frames etc).

But the whole thing about this camera I thought it was about be able to shoot HQ RAW video on the budget. A guy told me that the approved media storages are damn expensive.

There is no way to buy cheap storage that works very well for this camera?

A guy told you.  Samsung T5 portable SSDs which are among the approved ones are 90$ for 500Gb and 137$ for 1Tb on Amazon. And that's cheap for me, cheaper even than SD cards per GB.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA1T0B/dp/B073H552FJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1HC73MBGQQW2C&keywords=samsung+t5+portable+ssd&qid=1575587372&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sprefix=samsung+t5%2Caps%2C252&sr=8-3

And on approved media BMPCC 4K has no limitations

By the way tried a Micron M2 SSD in an enclosure just because of the smaller dimensions. And BMPCC 4K didn't recognize the drive. But read other people were successful using non approved SSDs. 

So it's up to you. I use Samsung T5 and SD cards. BMPCC 4K can record BRAW 5:1 on a SD card and that's good enough for 90% of what I shoot. For the rest there is Samsung T5 SSD.  

9 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

Which limitations does the blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k and 6k have on basic SSD? I mean those “cheap” SSD we can find on amazon made for computers.

Does the cameras (both 4K and 6k)  record at any bitrate and format on those commercial PC SSD? 

thx

SSDs come with different technologies. Some of those cheap ones will throttle with sustained writes and are NOT suitable for recording video, even if they are fine for general PC use.

There is a comparison between Samsung EVO and QVO drives here: https://www.pcgamesn.com/samsung-860-qvo-review-benchmarks-qlc-ssd

Basically after about 6 minutes of continuous writing, the QVO drops from 520 MB/s to 80 MB/s, which obviously is not going to be good if you are recording high bandwidth video feeds.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:34 PM, Emanuel said:

Do not invent. Period. Follow Stephen.

: -)

There is no invention involved. You need to be careful, not all SSDs are suitable, it depends on what technology is used in any particular model, especially more recent low cost high capacity drives which are intended for PC use. They are intended to replace hard drives in computers, but they come with a compromise. Just because they have a nominal write speed of ~500 MB/s does not mean they can maintain that for long periods of time. And if recording time is an issue for you, then drives like the Samsung QVO models are not suitable. They will be fine if you record under the cut-off time, but their write speeds drop like a rock when they go past that.

5 hours ago, Mokara said:

There is no invention involved. You need to be careful, not all SSDs are suitable, it depends on what technology is used in any particular model, especially more recent low cost high capacity drives which are intended for PC use. They are intended to replace hard drives in computers, but they come with a compromise. Just because they have a nominal write speed of ~500 MB/s does not mean they can maintain that for long periods of time. And if recording time is an issue for you, then drives like the Samsung QVO models are not suitable. They will be fine if you record under the cut-off time, but their write speeds drop like a rock when they go past that.

Do not invent means: buy recommended affordable SSDs and don't waste your time to discuss angels' sex : -)

I Realize many are on a tight budget, myself included. But i think the t5 is very cheap. If it is too expensive, you need to get out of video as soon as possible. A decent filter or two costs more !

i remember the time we did backups on cd-rom, when they were about 2 euro each. That is about 2500 euro to backup a 1 TB t5 drive ?

On 12/6/2019 at 1:10 AM, Mokara said:

Basically after about 6 minutes of continuous writing, the QVO drops from 520 MB/s to 80 MB/s, which obviously is not going to be good if you are recording high bandwidth video feeds.

That is over 180GB written in 6min, if you need that then you shuold not use SATA SSD anyway.

Considering cards/supports for video recording, Samsung T5 are quite a bargain, around 110 euro for 500gb on amazon. A CFast card of 128gb is around 300 euro, a 300MB SD card of 64 gb is around 90 euro. If you do the math, even the more expensive SSD drives are still a cheaper option than internal recording on other media.

And on top of that, for T5 drive there is also a nice holder to lock into the cage of the BMPC 4k/6k.

3 hours ago, 1Ale82 said:

Considering cards/supports for video recording, Samsung T5 are quite a bargain, around 110 euro for 500gb on amazon. A CFast card of 128gb is around 300 euro, a 300MB SD card of 64 gb is around 90 euro. If you do the math, even the more expensive SSD drives are still a cheaper option than internal recording on other media.

And on top of that, for T5 drive there is also a nice holder to lock into the cage of the BMPC 4k/6k.

What holder? I am looking for one right now!

T5 drives are the best value for money, still use a CF for small projects and ultimate quality. SD for lesser ones.

3 hours ago, stephen said:

That is kind of not really the point. The advice to buy the cheapest SSD no matter what is the problem, not the T5 itself, because they are NOT all the same. If you used an adapter and plugged a QVO in, you might end up with an unexpected issue down the road. If people are not aware that there IS a difference between various SSDs, they may be in for a nasty surprise at some point depending on how they use it. Things like the T5 are intended as portable external storage for laptops and similar systems, not cameras. It is just a matter of time before Samsung moves over the cheaper QVO setup in those devices when subsequent models come out. They will do it because it will allow larger capacities at a lower price, and it would not significantly impact performance in the applications the device is intended for.

But hey, if providing warning of the very real limitations of some SSDs is something that should be denigrated and suppressed, more power to you. 

10 hours ago, no_connection said:

That is over 180GB written in 6min, if you need that then you shuold not use SATA SSD anyway.

It is enough to make your Ninja crap out when shooting 4K, what do you think those devices use for storage?