Launch Announcement - PBC Pocket Remote For Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, MeanRevert said:

I see that you can program one of them for WB. I use the custom WB feature all the time (I.e. hold WB to set off grey card). I assume that you can do the same with the PCB?

Is this still available for order?

Yes, you can configure it to to do AWB as well as cycle through the WB presets and individual Temperature and Tint values too.

You can download the full user guide here 

https://www.cdatek.com/

It is available for order from here but shipping is delayed until the 10th May due to the current restrictions.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pbc-bmpcc4k-6k-camera-controller-part-ii

53 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yes, you can configure it to to do AWB as well as cycle through the WB presets and individual Temperature and Tint values too.

It is available for order from here but shipping is delayed until the 10th May due to the current restrictions.

Hi, is there a picture showing the rail adapter to mount on gimbals or handles?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, MeanRevert said:

Hi, is there a picture showing the rail adapter to mount on gimbals or handles?

It locks into the PBC case and has a 1/4"/20 thread on the bottom to mount it onto anything you need.

It can be locked on the bottom or the side of the PBC depending on what you need it for.

dqjlvaknt8xnetfahgyu.jpg.abec187fdbeec7d654e9eb74347c115d.jpgidkyeunmxjbwsuet7i5j.jpg.9993f7fbc3ef0f1560f20df7eb296d87.jpg

On 4/17/2020 at 7:04 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I forgot to ask and not sure if it's already been asked but can we get the 2 buttons in different colors, red and yellow?

• 4 months later...

Hey @BTM_Pix - I've recently restructured my rig and noticed a non-working function on my PBC, wanted to check if it's just me, or if it's a known issue. The HFR setting doesn't put my camera into HFR mode. When I press the button on the camera, the fps indicator on the top left of the monitor changes between 25 and 50/25 - but this doesn't change when using the function on the PBC controller.

All other functions work as expected though. 

Then I got thinking - would it be possible to choose what information is displayed? I'd really like to be able to see the frame rate on the controller, and also a confirmation that HFR mode is enabled or disabled.

And finally, what are the chances of having audio level controls as an option? Perhaps nudging the level up and down in steps of 5?

---

No idea if those are possible, or if you plan on releasing any firmware updates for it. Either way it's a great tool, and I like using it! Looking forward to the focus system as and when that's up and running 🙂 

too late to edit my previous post, but wanted to add to my suggestions

Then I got thinking - would it be possible to choose what information is displayed? I'd really like to be able to see the frame rate on the controller, and also a confirmation that HFR mode is enabled or disabled.

Perhaps have an extra menu in settings with 6 slots for various information to show? 

And finally, what are the chances of having audio level controls as an option? Perhaps nudging the level up and down in steps of 5?

Of course, that introduces the problem of having to choose which channel you're controlling. Maybe you'd need to allocate L & R +5 & -5 to the buttons - taking up 4 of the functions. This level would also be nice to see on the PBC. eg. instead of the Tint values, you can have the Left and Right audio settings. Naturally it won't tell you if it's peaking, but good to know where you're at.

In my use, I have the camera in hand and the PBC mounted to a monitor. I can control most of the functions from the camera, and see the change on the PBC, but audio levels are only controllable via the touch screen - unfortunately, my battery blocks easy access.

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Hey @BTM_Pix - I've recently restructured my rig and noticed a non-working function on my PBC, wanted to check if it's just me, or if it's a known issue. The HFR setting doesn't put my camera into HFR mode. When I press the button on the camera, the fps indicator on the top left of the monitor changes between 25 and 50/25 - but this doesn't change when using the function on the PBC controller.

All other functions work as expected though. 

---

No idea if those are possible, or if you plan on releasing any firmware updates for it. Either way it's a great tool, and I like using it! Looking forward to the focus system as and when that's up and running 🙂 

Its what I would call "expected but annoying behaviour".

There is a quirk with the HFR setting from the camera in that it doesn't provide frame rate it in its initial status until it you toggle it on the camera.

As there is no specific function in the spec to indicate it is in HFR mode, we have to do it with a workaround.

When we boot, the camera doesn't mention if it is in HFR mode and as we use the incoming frame rate value to do the workaround (to make sure you get the same ones back when you toggle it from the PBC) this is an issue.

So what you need to do with the HFR then is to toggle it on the camera after the PBC is connected and then from that point on it will toggle  properly from the PBC.

Its a bit of a pain but its the only way to get the HFR to toggle remotely.

There will be firmware updates for the PBC as they are needed to support new add ons such as the AFX and the mystery "other" AF adapter so other controls can be added.

The audio functions are quite well supported in the API actually so adding a Phantom toggle, input type selector and levels wouldn't be an issue.

If I don't run out of time before the AFX release then I'll certainly add them to that firmware update.

The custom screen is under consideration anyway but might not make it into that one.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Perhaps have an extra menu in settings with 6 slots for various information to show? 

Of course, that introduces the problem of having to choose which channel you're controlling. Maybe you'd need to allocate L & R +5 & -5 to the buttons - taking up 4 of the functions. This level would also be nice to see on the PBC. eg. instead of the Tint values, you can have the Left and Right audio settings. Naturally it won't tell you if it's peaking, but good to know where you're at.

In my use, I have the camera in hand and the PBC mounted to a monitor. I can control most of the functions from the camera, and see the change on the PBC, but audio levels are only controllable via the touch screen - unfortunately, my battery blocks easy access.

Yes, thats how we would envisage it working.

We potentially have a mechanism to swap between them too so you could flip between regular six and custom six live.

The handheld controller that is included with the AFX gives more potential for easier control of things like levels due to the thumbstick and the controller will be supported in the next PBC firmware update for PBC irrespective of if you have an AFX.

37 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

So what you need to do with the HFR then is to toggle it on the camera after the PBC is connected and then from that point on it will toggle  properly from the PBC.

Ah cool, that sounds like a pretty simple solution - I'll give it a go.

38 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The audio functions are quite well supported in the API actually so adding a Phantom toggle, input type selector and levels wouldn't be an issue.

That's amazing. I noticed audio controls aren't on any of the ios apps either, so feared it might be like the stills function, and not possible over bluetooth.

39 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The custom screen is under consideration anyway but might not make it into that one.

Great news and thanks for the quick reply!

• Super Members
1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's amazing. I noticed audio controls aren't on any of the ios apps either, so feared it might be like the stills function, and not possible over bluetooth.

They are there in the SDK but not everything always works on all of their cameras so I'll have a quick poke at it and see what happens.

We've built a custom PBC based rig for a customer who wants to do stop frame with their P4K to get around the stills function not being supported.

To say its a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution would be an understatement !

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

We've built a custom PBC based rig for a customer who wants to do stop frame with their P4K to get around the stills function not being supported.

To say its a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution would be an understatement !

If you can bang that sledgehammer 24 times a second, then you'll essentially bring cDNG back to the camera. That really would be nuts!

@BTM_Pix - Have you heard anyone saying the REC trigger doesn't set the camera off?

I was just shooting and pressed REC on the PBC, the LCD went red, but the camera wasn't recording anything. I then pressed REC on the camera and it started just fine. The PCB also couldn't stop it, although the LCD did turn back to my chosen non-red colour.

If it helps, my camera is on 6.9.5.

---

EDIT: I notice the ISO and Iris options also have no effect on my camera today. I tried clearing bonds on the camera and the PCB, and then reconnecting, but still no joy it getting anything to work... strange as it was working the other day.

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

If it helps, my camera is on 6.9.5.

It certainly helps with the diagnosis if not the issue !

It appears that Blackmagic have broken Bluetooth in 6.9.5 and are doing a fix.

If they had made changes then I'd sort out a firmware update but they've flat out broken it so the solution is to roll back or wait on them unfortunately.

455930885_ScreenShot2020-08-26at18_03_44.png.110a237b4304cf6923bb177e49b1e3fd.png

Ah dang, that's annoying! But at least there's an answer.

What's weird, is if for example, I change the ISO on the camera, the PCB display reflects the new values. If I adjust the ISO on the PCB, the values on the PCB change, but the camera stays the same. So there is communication, but I guess it's only one way for now.

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Ah dang, that's annoying! But at least there's an answer.

What's weird, is if for example, I change the ISO on the camera, the PCB display reflects the new values. If I adjust the ISO on the PCB, the values on the PCB change, but the camera stays the same. So there is communication, but I guess it's only one way for now.

It sounds like they've broken it in a very creative way then !

I think this update was for external control of the cameras by the ATEM Mini ? So it sounds like there might be a conflict there.

They've acknowledged it publicly at least but I don't know what "ASAP" means in BM terms but I'm guessing it won't be too long in coming.

@BTM_Pix

Thanks for very quick and effective responses, and I'm sure many people were grateful got your email about this issue, but I think you may need to send another as BMD have released a new update expected to fix the Bluetooth. I'm going to test it out this evening, and will happily report back if you'd like. 

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/readme/a801de7e49a744b7aad008a438f27d35