How Good Is VLOG on the S1?

Mark Romero 2

4 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Used copies are already in the $1600 range with Vlog and dropping.

Where did you see them that low??? If so, I am on it.

Do I need a lens??? I can't afford any L Mount glass. Can I DIY a lens? Help!!! ☹️

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The Nikon Z6 seems to be the best option right now for 10 bit and auto focus, of course you need an atomos which is a pain in the ass. Until the new Canon DX comes out, though it'll be a lot of money I am sure. Of course there is Fuji if you aren't set on full frame. 

My concern is that N-LOG doesn't really have that much dynamic range, at least when tested by maartech on youtube. I even asked him if he was sure the DR was so low, and I think he got kind of offended I doubted his testing. I haven't seen too many head-to-head dynamic range comparisons of the Z6 to other cameras.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Do I need a lens??? I can't afford any L Mount glass. Can I DIY a lens? Help!!! ☹️

My concern is that N-LOG doesn't really have that much dynamic range, at least when tested by maartech on youtube. I even asked him if he was sure the DR was so low, and I think he got kind of offended I doubted his testing. I haven't seen too many head-to-head dynamic range comparisons of the Z6 to other cameras.

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/10/dynamic-range-test-eos-r-x-t3-z7-a7-iii-gh5s-who-has-the-best-log/

Seems pretty decent in Andrews test. I forgot though that you can't use continuous auto focus with Nlog. 10 bit in the flat profile is probably really nice though.

There is an S1 on ebay right now for under $1600 from the UK. A guy on the DVXuser forum was going to sell me one for $1600, but I ended up staying with my fuji.

3 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

The Fred Miranda Buy and Sell boards. Here's one with Vlog for $1650

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1623339/0?keyword=s1#15054947

They come and go. Just set up an alert. B&H was blowing out some like new open box models too recently.

Chris

8 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The Fred Miranda Buy and Sell boards. Here's one with Vlog for $1650

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1623339/0?keyword=s1#15054947

They come and go. Just set up an alert. B&H was blowing out some like new open box models too recently.

Chris

Thanks. Now I have to figure out how to set up an alert.

On 12/3/2019 at 2:37 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

At this point in time Vlog on the S1 is superior as they got rid of the ghosting issue at higher ISO's as well as the color clipping issue with blue lights. 

On 12/3/2019 at 6:28 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks. Do we know which firmware that was cleared up in? I hadn't heard about blue light clipping being fixed.

Firmware 1.3 seems to have solved both problems as seen here in Nick Driftwood's tests...

Panasonic Lumix S1 Firmware 1.3 Beta Test - after images Improvements - YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__FtAEkMrLo

Lumix S1 Blue / Yellow Light Improvements: FW 1.3 Beta = Better colour matching to Varicam & EVA-1 - YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iifX5bP46Tg

16 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

That's why I'm looking elsewhere, I just don't see Sony stepping into FS5 10-bit territory with one of the a7's unless its priced at $5000. My bet is the mythical a7s3 has same 8-bit internal with a 10-bit external like the EOS R - which ironically is another option I'm considering along with the S1 and either the Zcam E2 or S6.

Not even the FS5 can do 10bit, not unless you wish to be restricted to 1080

1 hour ago, omega1978 said:

this is shot at (0) and maybe was better to expose a little more...

It's fine at 0 using this camera, there's just a tiny amount of noise exposing to the center.
The image looks thicker and there's the great looking roll-off when exposing this way.

Also since firmware 1.3 there's no more smear or even ghosting in darker areas.

6 hours ago, omega1978 said:

Yes, you can overexpose a little to (+1) only to avoid noise in shadow,

but not so much (+2) how you do it with Slog

this is shot at (0) and maybe was better to expose a little more...

Looks great. Thanks for posting the video. 

Personally, I can live with what little noise there is if it lets me get another stop of DR by not having to overexpose by a stop.

4 hours ago, deezid said:

It's fine at 0 using this camera, there's just a tiny amount of noise exposing to the center.
The image looks thicker and there's the great looking roll-off when exposing this way.

Also since firmware 1.3 there's no more smear or even ghosting in darker areas.

Thanks for the confirmation. Yeah, the people at Cienma5d really LIKE the noise on the VLOG. They said the noise in VLOG made it look "more organic" than using HLG.