Studio setups and productive spaces

kye

I keep seeing cool tutorials for permanent setups to be used in a controlled studio type setup but there wasn't anywhere to share them, and I realised we mostly talk about taking the equipment to the subject rather than the other way around.

Who shoots in a studio?

Cool videos that might be useful.....

Laura has a great YT channel about making things but obviously has film-making talent too, and this one is particularly useful.  It even has a cameo from the Sigma FP!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

good thinking kye. i like  the first video, the slot on the edges is neat but  i'm not sure i want to drill a bunch of holes in it,

I have some man cave ideas the will incorporate some sort of studio setup.just have to finish a couple of the projects i have already

i hope theres a bunch of ideas comes out of this ... i will probably pilfer most of them ?

• 1 month later...

A couple more in todays feed....

First up is Blondihacks making a tripod-screw-adapter from scratch on the lathe.

Takeaways from this is a magic arm on a magnetic mount and metal plates mounted above the work areas.  Its interesting to see the quality of the video and that it's shot entirely on a smartphone.  Especially when you juxtapose her track record of high-quality videos which are at least partly monetised through Patreon, with her obvious naivety around the world of the DSLR.

and next up is a BTS on a cooking video from Peaceful Cuisine (Ryoya Takashima).  

Here's the finished video:

and the BTS vlog:

No idea what level of monetisation is going on here, but considering it's shot on GFX100 with a Sony appearing in the video too I'm expecting that he's got a job and this is a passion / side-hustle.  If you're thinking you want to get into YT then this is your competition.

A small insert on the power and charging setup The Outsider has to film his off-grid outdoor log cabin builds:

Essentially he's got a solar panel, power station (battery / power management thingy) and an electric blanket to keep all the batteries warm. 

This type of setup is common for off-grid and #vanlife vehicle dwelling folks, normally minus the electric blanket.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:19 AM, kye said:

and next up is a BTS on a cooking video from Peaceful Cuisine (Ryoya Takashima).  

Here's the finished video:

and the BTS vlog:

No idea what level of monetisation is going on here, but considering it's shot on GFX100 with a Sony appearing in the video too I'm expecting that he's got a job and this is a passion / side-hustle.  If you're thinking you want to get into YT then this is your competition.

Never seen this one before. These are great, his cooking YT channel has over 2 million subs. Looking at the quality of his videos and the time he must put into them, I'd bet this is his full time gig.

Chris

This video is especially interesting - it's Peter McKinnon basically explaining how he would lay out a smaller studio for Chris Hau who just moved into his first studio.

It's really practical and is surprisingly specific and mentions things to mount lighting or cameras to the ceiling, how to put up curtains / blankets to keep sight-lines clear and for Chris and his SO to be able to both be able to film at the same time and not get in each others way, as well as other practical things like a bench for people to come into the space and take their shoes off, where art might be great to hang, etc.

My problem is I never can stay with on setup. So for me flexibility is key. So for me:

Nothing should be bolted down. Everything should be easily moved and setup in less than 10 minutes. Mount points everywhere. If you can mounting NATO rails in key places with magic arms on NATO clamps to hold cameras, mics, booms, lights, whatever...

supwr clean space with no clutter to juggle or move around. Have a closet that is filled with your gear organized the way you want it. 

That being said it’s nice to have something that works and stick with it...but I prefer to ease the friction between idea to execution as much as possible. How many times have you been like, “oh this would be cool...and then the hassle of trying to setup for it ends in a “fuck it”. Probably just me 😉.

I really like calebs idea. And I really enjoy those flex lights that are foldable and DIY easy stuff like using shower curtains or wax paper. 

@Video Hummus I agree and it just depends on what your processes are.

To me, the ideal setup is about being able to get from the equipment being stored properly to hitting record in the shortest possible time.  

To this end, I keep my GH5 in its drawer, fully charged, with cards downloaded and in the camera, with the 17.5mm lens on it.  This means that if "omg - come quickly!" happens, I can just grab the camera and run through the house to see (and possibly record) whatever is going on.  If I had a deeper drawer I'd keep the mic on it too, but alas..

1 hour ago, kye said:

@Video Hummus I agree and it just depends on what your processes are.

To me, the ideal setup is about being able to get from the equipment being stored properly to hitting record in the shortest possible time.  

To this end, I keep my GH5 in its drawer, fully charged, with cards downloaded and in the camera, with the 17.5mm lens on it.  This means that if "omg - come quickly!" happens, I can just grab the camera and run through the house to see (and possibly record) whatever is going on.  If I had a deeper drawer I'd keep the mic on it too, but alas..

time for a custom table perhaps ? there's a vblog in there :)   i do like your idea with the camera in a drawer idea i'd mount a power adapter at the back of the desk drill a hole in the drawer to run the power cable through or mount it to the underside of desk. Then you could charge it up when you put it away. I'd also add a seal of some kind around the drawer. The last few months with the drought and dust storms, fires, have had a lot more crap in the air even in the house.  

11 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

My problem is I never can stay with on setup. So for me flexibility is key. So for me:

Nothing should be bolted down. Everything should be easily moved and setup in less than 10 minutes. Mount points everywhere. If you can mounting NATO rails in key places with magic arms on NATO clamps to hold cameras, mics, booms, lights, whatever...

supwr clean space with no clutter to juggle or move around. Have a closet that is filled with your gear organized the way you want it. 

That being said it’s nice to have something that works and stick with it...but I prefer to ease the friction between idea to execution as much as possible. How many times have you been like, “oh this would be cool...and then the hassle of trying to setup for it ends in a “fuck it”. Probably just me 😉.

I really like calebs idea. And I really enjoy those flex lights that are foldable and DIY easy stuff like using shower curtains or wax paper. 

You might like Josh Yeo’s setup, as he built his space in a way where everything is somewhat modular.