Best Extreme Audio Noise Reduction Plugin 30% off though Dec 2 - Monday

majoraxis

Hi,

Audio noise drives me crazy and so dose the sound of almost all audio noise reduction plugins when they are pushed to more than about 16 bd of noise reduction.

Enter: Acon Digital Restoration Suite 2.x

IMHO it is the best sounding least offensive extreme audio noise reduction available.  I own Izotope RX7 Advanced and ERA-D - both are great for moderate audio noise reduction, but when pushed to their limits they introduce artifacts that are more offensive than DeNoise2 by Acon Digital.

DeNoise 2 also sounds at least as good for moderate noise reduction levels as Izotope RX7 Advanced and ERA-D.

So if you don’t already have great audio noise reduction plugin for $69.93 this is a great deal.

It’s a new release for them with improved algorithms and is highly recommended and on sale through Monday December 2nd.

if you are on the fense, download the demo and try it, I think you’ll be really impressed if you have extreme audio noise reduction needs.

Usage tips:

1. Find a section of noise and hit the learn button.

2. Tweak the knobs to get a good sounding noise reduction.

3. Click the emphasis curve button and raise the level of any part of the sound spectrum that you want to reduce more noise.  I typically pull up the high end to reduce more hiss and eliminate high frequency artifacts that typically follow heavy noise reduction.

https://acondigital.com/products/restoration-suite/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, majoraxis said:

I have brusfri as well.  I am going to do some listening to each of the 4 candidates so I can give a fair description of each at best settings for extreme noise reduction.

Have a listen to each for moderate noise reduction too, for more light handed work, see which seems best at the job?

@IronFilm

Will do.  I need to find time to do a listening test. I am thinking RX7 Dialog Isolate, ERA-D, Acon DeNoise 2, brusfri and Resolves 16 Noise Reduction.  If I can get permission I am hoping to post the unprocessed, pre-processed with eq (Magpha) and dynamics and stereo management (DynOne3), and post processed with NR (15 db and 30db) and post the clips to SoundCloud to share them publicly.

I was able to test 7 audio noise reduction plug-ins.  I only did only one amount of NR and did not include the before except for the noise, which you can hear at the beginning of the file looped a few times to give enough lead time before he NR kicked in for the first example:

In Order of Apperance

0. Noise
1. Acon DeNoise 2 Adaptive Combined Mode
2. Resolve Studio 6.1 Audio Noise Reduction
3. Acon DeNoise 2 Noise Profile Mode
4. Izotope RX7 Advance Dialog Isolate
5. Audionomix ADX-SVC
6. Accusonus ERA-D
7. Klevgrand brusfri

Observations
Acon DeNoise 2 using Adaptive Noise Reduction with the Combined setting and a 5 second window sounded best to me.  This would work well if you have enough lead time with noise and automated the volume of the track to mute it for 5 second before the NR kicks in. Acon needs to figure out out to make it start working immediately to avoid this work around.

Resolve's audio noise reduction is good and is similar to Acon using a noise profile setting. Acon handles the ambience and stereo better with the M/S setting engaged IMHO.

Izotope Dialog Isolation and Audionomix ADX-SVC do not work in Resolve.  Izotope is the better of the 2 and sound pretty good, but has some high frequency artifacts I don't like.

ERA-D is both noise reduction and reverb reduction and is pretty good, but it does not play well with Resolve in Dual Mode, which is the setting used in this example.  When you reopen a session the plugin does not pass audio and has to be re-instantiated.

brusfri seems like it is more for guitars or synths rather than dialog and I could not get it to sound open without sounding distorted.  It also took the the most make up gain about 7 db more that the other tracks.

Out of the choices at hand for Resolve, Acon DeNoise 2 in Adaptive Combined mode sounds better IMHO than Resolves audio NR for stereo sources (in my case and M/S shoot gun mic), but you have to work around the wait time for its NR to engage.  That said, Resolve Audio NR is good and I would not spend any money on the other NR options except for Acon DeNoise 2, which I think is better in either mode as compared to Resolve's NR.

BTW - I only have Resolve Studio so I don't know if it comes with the free version. I looked on line but I could not find a Resolve/Resolve Studio 16 feature comparison chart.

In my last post I narrowed it down to Resolve NR and Acon DeNoise 2.  I decided to see if I could fix what I did not like about the Resolve NR for my noisy M/S stereo microphone dialog track.  Hear for yourself how setting up your own M/S encode decode channel configuration can enhance Resolves NR capabilities for stereo audio.

As it would be simple to do inside the plug-in, I would encourage Blackmagic to added and M/S option just like Acon has it as M/S option.  Ideally there would be separate controls for both the mid and side channels - at least for the threshold setting as that is the one that you have to have access to optimize the NR on the side channel. The learn function would have to have separate noise file for the Mid and Side channels as well, captured at the same time. Here is the second audio NR test:

Order of Appearance
0. Noise
1. Acon DeNoise 2 Adaptive Combined M/S mode
2. Resolve Studio 6.1 Audio Noise Reduction
3. Acon DeNoise 2 Noise Profile M/S mode
4. Resolve Studio 6.1 Audio Noise Reduction M/S though Sub busses and DMG Track Control for M/S encode, M/S decode and balance to isolate the mid and side.

At this point, I am recommending that you stick with the Resolve NR  and (don't spend a dime on any other Audio NR plugins for Resolve) as it can be configured to sound better than Acon IMHO, if you set up M/S bussing and processing in Resolve.  If you don't use Resolve I would recommend trying the Acon demo in your DAW other than Resolve.

Thanks! Mark