Why 8K TV is a non-starter for PC users

Andrew Reid

I've said it before, delivery in 8K doesn't appeal to me as a consumer. I don't want to sit that close to my TV to appreciate 8K. I don't have room for a TV any bigger than 65 inches without dedicating an entire wall to a single screen. I really am satisfied watching 4K on a 55 inch set from 10 feet away. 

As a creator, I can't think of many times when I've told myself "I really wish I had more resolution to play with." That might change, but the bulk of my work is still exported at 1080p. There really isn't much demand for 4K, from my experience, and most people still watch 1080p video on their 4K TVs because there's a limited amount of 4K channels / content available. 

This push for 8K this quickly really seems silly and little more than a marketing move to sell people TVs they don't really need. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Mokara said:

The problem with VR is not just the resolution of the entire view, it is the resolution of the viewing device itself that needs to be higher. The problem is the screen is right in front of your eyes, so even 8K is not good enough for that (although a lot better than 4K of course). Until we get those ultra high resolutions VR is not really going to be a thing, the displays we have now simply are nowhere near good enough. And of course, you are going to need the cameras to match that, and that is not going to be realistic in the foreseeable future. 

Yes, but there is kinda of a catch-22 with the hardware performance these days and performances increases from generation to generation seem to be rapidly shrinking. Also most all of the performance increases in VR have been software based.

So like I said it’s:

Pixel size (because viewing device is so close to the eye)

Latency (because of the real-time physical immersion effect)

Resolution (for more visual vitality)

The big problem is bigger resolution means higher latency at the moment. Hence why VR screens are trading resolution for latency and denser pixels because it is more important in this application of VR.

Now VR video I think is not a cinema thing. It’s not really a good viewing experience either. But VR video is really cool for action cameras where moving composition to post is amazing for the creator. Asking the viewer to control composition just doesn’t work. It’s a neat party trick but not immersive for cinema or filmmaking.

There will be 8K TVs. There will be a big push from TV brands to sell 8K to the mass public. Will the mass public see much of a difference? Eh, not really. It’s quickly diminishing returns.

I was creating content for VR but they ditched the project because of the lack of resolution. Might be ok for gaming but not for this particular purpose. I am also creating images at 16000x12000 therefore a better monitor would be nice. When it comes to movies I love watching super-8 feature films mostly because of the colors. It is like a painting versus digital print :)

18 hours ago, Shell64 said:

8k doesn’t make as big a difference. 4K capture looks better than 1080p on cameras since 1080 is usually using line skipping and pixel binning. 4K eliminates this. 8k will just let us see more pores in skin. 

What it does is greatly reduce debeyering artifacts, specifically when it comes to small objects, such as leaves. And that DOES make a difference. Not in talking head scenes (which involve large objects where resolution is not an issue), but in anything involving natural history or travel type content where the scenery itself is the object of attention.

Even on a 65" 4K screen, 4K is pretty clearly insufficient for a panel that size when it comes to that sort of scene.

My M6000 Nvidia Quadro has 12 GB of DDR5 onboard and uses two slots on the M/B.   It has four Display Ports and each one supports 4K.   I bought mine for under $600 on eBay.   I just checked and found another for $500 and an: "Nvidia Quadro M6000 24GB 4x Display Port Video Card PCIe 3.0 Maxwell Workstation" card for $800.   I think they are $3000 + new, but that should still keep cost under what the 8K tester spent trying to get 8K working on less than optimal graphics gear.

This is info for serious 8K users to consider.   The Display itself I can't afford YET.

Andrew, insulting Americans is a poor business move. 

BBC and Wikipedia are unbiased... by law :) :) I feel sorry for you Andrew. Your political perspectives are certainly uninformed. Encourage your own leaders to carry out the vote and the will of the people. Independence for your country should be your focus. Be thankful for America and all the ways were have rescued and protected your country throughout the years. Monitor the Hong Kong situation closely. Trust that Americans would do the same for you. Yes, Democrats and Republicans may argue and disagree, but if you tread or pick on our friends, know that our differences diminish and our focus is undoubtedly and quickly unified.

You know, there was a time when England came over to confiscate our guns and to keep us more in-line with the crown. Never forget that we shot your shit. Come visit, I will point out the unmarked british soldier graves. 

10 hours ago, 1tkman said:

Andrew, insulting Americans is a poor business move. 

BBC and Wikipedia are unbiased... by law :) :) I feel sorry for you Andrew. Your political perspectives are certainly uninformed. Encourage your own leaders to carry out the vote and the will of the people. Independence for your country should be your focus. Be thankful for America and all the ways were have rescued and protected your country throughout the years. Monitor the Hong Kong situation closely. Trust that Americans would do the same for you. Yes, Democrats and Republicans may argue and disagree, but if you tread or pick on our friends, know that our differences diminish and our focus is undoubtedly and quickly unified.

You know, there was a time when England came over to confiscate our guns and to keep us more in-line with the crown. Never forget that we shot your shit. Come visit, I will point out the unmarked british soldier graves. 

OT, your history is incorrect. The American war of independence was a just one front of a broader global conflict between Britain and France. The battle of Yorktown was the deciding battle, but it was actually won by the French, not the Americans. Half the troops there were French regulars and it was the French naval blockade that was the decisive factor in the battle.

If it was not for France, America would still be part of Britain. There is absolutely no way the US would have won without the very significant help the French provided.

I've been saying for some time (including earlier in this topic) that the roadblock to mainstream VR is bulky equipment. Facebook just announced controller-free hand tracking for the Quest, coming this week.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:27 AM, Inazuma said:

As someone who helps develop games for VR im not sure i see the argument for 8k VR. I would rather see better textures, models and shading before an increase in resolution. 

They're talking about the resolution of the recorded 360 video. Mapping an image around for a 360x180 panoramic stream really benefits from 8k since you're only seeing a small portion of it at any time. What platform do you target in VR? My day job involves developing for the Quest, so we have pretty strict hardware limitations. I imagine developing for a traditional headset hooked up to a gaming PC gives you more room for better assets and rendering.