Who wants to be grateful?

EthanAlexander

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Its the time to be alive for Indie filmmakers. 

Cheap high quality audio equipment is also abound. The Zoom F6 has so much dynamic range its almost impossible to set the levels wrong all in something smaller than a loaf of bread. 

High powered high CRI LED's are also becoming affordable. The Pixel video light has a similar output to a 1500w fresnel and its only $450. 

• Administrators

We enthusiasts and pros are the success story of the entire camera industry.

The entire DSLR filmmaking, and now mirrorless video revolution happened on a big downward slope for the a camera industry battered by smartphones.

Now, with the not very passionate consumers gone, there's only us left...and now the central focus of ALL the camera companies, big or small.

We are not a niche any more, and Nikon in their latest financial report expects enthusiasts, hobbyists, artists, filmmakers and pros to account for 90% of sales in the mid to long term. Going to write a blog post about that soon.

We kept the passion up, when everybody else was losing theirs.

It's definitely a great time to be a film-maker..  

One test that I think it useful is the "If I knew then what I know now" test, as it shows how much knowledge and skill count vs the other factors.  In film-making, yes, going back a decade (or two!) we would all make much better films (well, those of us who have made lots of films in the last decade!) but we'd have been doing so with far inferior equipment choices, and apart from memorising the lottery numbers before we went back in time, pretty much nothing we could have done about it.  

Of course going back in time we'd have looked at the camera options and decided to spend the money on lighting and other things, which is still great advice, but tech is tech and (capable) cameras per year that someone can afford when adjusted against minimum / median wage is an equation that has tipped radically.

Grateful for continuing good health as I wade deeper into my 7th decade. Grateful for the people I love...and that they love me back. Grateful to be residing on a comfortable planet that also just-so-happens to have chocolate. And, as relates to this forum, grateful for the nifty imaging toys available at this moment in history, with which I'm looking forward to learning how to image in wide-gamut HDR. :)

10 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its the time to be alive for Indie filmmakers. 

Cheap high quality audio equipment is also abound. The Zoom F6 has so much dynamic range its almost impossible to set the levels wrong all in something smaller than a loaf of bread. 

The Zoom F8 when it came out 4 ish years was a MASSIVE GAME CHANGER for the sub $1K price point, but *not* just for audio quality like many people think, and not just for how many tracks it was (ten!), but also for it feature set! Nothing else beforehand had all those features which the F8 now has: metadata, bluetooth app, affordable dedicated fader panel, USB keyboard, automix, ambisonics, TC I/O, and more and more it goes on...   plus all in a very very small size! With a low power drain.

Unfortunately the F8 came out at a bad bad time for me, as: a) I had just recently invested in a Sound Devices 552 / Tascam DR680 combo (arguably for its time, the "best" low low low budget setup??) & b) I was VERY skeptical about anything from Zoom (due to their horribly poor reputation)

But the users and reviews of the F8 turned my opinion around, so I got the F4 when it got launched. And wow, what a big leap forward that was for me!

I'm grateful for the abundance of cheap equipment and software.

But I'm also grateful to the thousands of people who spend their time freely sharing knowledge on sites like this, from the retired pros with decades of industry experience, to experimental newcomers with more ideas than experience, and everyone in between.

1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

PC parts to performance ratio/cost is at an all time high!

You don't need to $3,000 MBP to be able to edit video. You can edit 4K content on a PC under $1000.

Heck these days you can edit 4K on a $550ish custom PC build. Rendering and export might not be very fast, but playback and editing is fine. Editing wise computers have come a long way and fast since the days when H264 would strangle my computer to death! I remember how frustrating it was to edit it on my top of the line Mac Pro 10 years ago! 

On 11/28/2019 at 5:30 AM, Snowfun said:

Choice.

There really is something for everyone.

+1

the most important thing to me isn’t specs , marketing or new cameras but IMAGE CREATIVITY ( the art of cinematography) and CAREER THANK YOU KODAK FILM and that nice lady who sold me that super 16mm camera two years ago(its a gem)