Pocket 4K to Alexa Conversion

Sage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 12/28/2019 at 2:13 AM, jackch2n said:

After.thumb.jpg.0406778cec80b8b50605c090e28d6cf6.jpg

Pre Exp -0.66 + P4Ka Daylight Main + ABL 3

This looks great. looking forward to seeing the video.  What lens is this?

On 12/29/2019 at 6:05 PM, Sage said:

Very nice. Soon to put this one on the website -

159330629_P4KaTungstenMain(Final).thumb.png.b917e304d2ea632e0aaef5edd7f4d2fb.png

Looks incredible. Lighting and framinng. looking forward to the video. Im sure John Brawley is taking notice. BM should reach out to you to collaborate 

4 hours ago, RCV said:

This looks great. looking forward to seeing the video.  What lens is this?

Looks incredible. Lighting and framinng. looking forward to the video. Im sure John Brawley is taking notice. BM should reach out to you to collaborate 

Thank you! The lens I used for the test shot with the girl holding the ColorChecker is Metabones 0.71x , YongNuo 50mm 1.8 and a Sankor 16D Anamorphic projector lens.
The shot of the girl holding a picture frame in a room is from a test shot of my school assignment. The adjustments and the conversion I used is -1 Stop Pre Exp + P4Ka Tungsten (Main) + ABL 2 + Color Wheel Slider (Midtones and Highlights) to conform to cinema luminance for the skintone and scene context needed. Make sure to white balance to the key light and the skintone falls on the skintone line of the Vectorscope. 

1 hour ago, jackch2n said:

Thank you! The lens I used for the test shot with the girl holding the ColorChecker is Metabones 0.71x , YongNuo 50mm 1.8 and a Sankor 16D Anamorphic projector lens.
The shot of the girl holding a picture frame in a room is from a test shot of my school assignment. The adjustments and the conversion I used is -1 Stop Pre Exp + P4Ka Tungsten (Main) + ABL 2 + Color Wheel Slider (Midtones and Highlights) to conform to cinema luminance for the skintone and scene context needed. Make sure to white balance to the key light and the skintone falls on the skintone line of the Vectorscope. 

The guides are included in the PDF guide provided.

On 1/1/2020 at 7:31 PM, superporpoise said:

Looks so good. Can't wait to see!

Here are a few recent projects with this LUT. Loving the results! Uploaded in 4K this time :)

Very nice!

From this morning, here is an interesting one. This is GHa Tun v4 extreme gamut finished with the new system (Tungsten extreme gamut is the most difficult scenario). GHa v4 Tun actually outperforms the Alexa in extreme red (Arri has the edge in blue though). Also note the slight banding apparent in blue/cyan/green (VLog All-I), a non-issue on the P4K  (GH5 on the bottom):

Untitled_2.1.1.thumb.png.084bdfebfe4f2df9aa4618da00194a56.png

22 hours ago, Sage said:

Very nice!

From this morning, here is an interesting one. This is GHa Tun v4 extreme gamut finished with the new system (Tungsten extreme gamut is the most difficult scenario). GHa v4 Tun actually outperforms the Alexa in extreme red (Arri has the edge in blue though). Also note the slight banding apparent in blue/cyan/green (VLog All-I), a non-issue on the P4K  (GH5 on the bottom):

Untitled_2.1.1.thumb.png.084bdfebfe4f2df9aa4618da00194a56.png

Woah, the GH5 sensor is THAT good? Really makes me want to sell my X-T3 and get one..

44 minutes ago, njekolino said:

Woah, the GH5 sensor is THAT good? Really makes me want to sell my X-T3 and get one..

The XT-3 likely has better; DR and gamut are interrelated (i.e. where r, g, and b clip). Sensor determines how much of both one can have. At ISO 400, the Alexa has more than the GH5 (more saturated, higher brightness clip point). The GH5 and P4K have rougher blue clipping (like Alexa red clipping under tungsten WB)

The P4K has slightly less than the Alexa at 400, or including HR range, slightly more artifacted range. If image quality is primary, the P4K takes the cake (completely smooth codecs). The GH5 is best for its IBIS, or little things, like the viewfinder in sun. I intend to support the XT-3 directly this year, sooner rather than later.

12 minutes ago, Sage said:

The XT-3 likely has better; DR and gamut are interrelated (i.e. where r, g, and b clip). Sensor determines how much of both one can have. At ISO 400, the Alexa has more than the GH5 (more saturated, higher brightness clip point). The GH5 and P4K have rougher blue clipping (like Alexa red clipping under tungsten WB)

The P4K has slightly less than the Alexa at 400, or including HR range, slightly more artifacted range. If image quality is primary, the P4K takes the cake (completely smooth codecs). The GH5 is best for its IBIS, or little things, like the viewfinder in sun. I intend to support the XT-3 directly this year, sooner rather than later.

That's great to know.

Not sure if you're aware but from my testing, HLG behaves a lot better than F-log on X-T3

X-T3 also has some known issues:

http://colorizer.net/index.php?op=technical

On 1/3/2020 at 8:34 AM, Sage said:

Very nice!

Legend man! When will the update be available? also any update to the daylight version with the new system as well?

5 minutes ago, Sage said:

In that case, HLG will likely be the primary format. The idea of variant NLE flagging is a concern though

Yea that's good idea, HLG on X-T3 is a 10bit only format. You could include the NLE flagging fix LUTs in the pack.

Let me know if you need any help with testing during your R&D ?

The slightly different ways NLEs can interpret footage keeps me up at night. If the rendition is different, I'll have to do Pres, with the goal of supporting default timeline rendition in each NLE. Thankfully the P4K was simple in this regard.

Given its a 10bit only format - is there any limitation on framerate?

4 minutes ago, Sage said:

The slightly different ways NLEs can interpret footage keeps me up at night. If the rendition is different, I'll have to do Pres, with the goal of supporting default timeline rendition in each NLE. Thankfully the P4K was simple in this regard.

Given its a 10bit only format - is there any limitation on framerate?

Are you referring to the flagging of color matrix? With the LUT fix I believe it resolves the issue consistently across all NLEs that misinterpret the flag.

No limitation on framerate, it goes up to 4K/DCI 60P and FHD/2K 120P.

3 hours ago, Sage said:

Its something to test; even when flagging is settled, NLEs can have their own slightly unique 'color interpretations' of formats (cough, Premiere)

So it goes up to 120 in HLG? (downscale or crop?)

The only thing HLG mode changes is forcing the codec to be HEVC/H.265 10bit 4:2:0.

FHD 120P is pixel-binned and line-skipped from a 4.8K, 1.29x crop.

4K 60P is super-sampled from a 5.5K 1.18x crop.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:57 PM, androidlad said:

Are you referring to the flagging of color matrix? With the LUT fix I believe it resolves the issue consistently across all NLEs that misinterpret the flag.

No limitation on framerate, it goes up to 4K/DCI 60P and FHD/2K 120P.

Where can one find this LUT that fixes HLG flagging?