Recommendations?

mercer

20 hours ago, Timotheus said:

How important is (wide) coverage for you? 55mm on fullframe with this lens is hard to imagine, aps-c or smaller would make more sense. In general, chubby and short with big elements provide widest coverage. That's why the 8z variants (16H, B&H, Sankor Anamoprime) are so popular (mind the crazy edge distortion though). He is talking about a smaller lens (probably 16S or 16A).

Sure I'd like the widest coverage possible but that wasn't necessarily the point of my question. I just liked the look of the frame, so I was curious if better trained anamorphic eyes and more knowledgeable members could deduce what lens he was using.

5 hours ago, Julien416 said:

The largest you can have in full frame with projection lenses is, according to my findings, around 50mm with a Kowa 16h/8z. It will have funky distortions on the sides and will vignette heavily. 55/58mm would probably be the safest width. But anyhow, a single focus solution will be limited to around 75mm in full frame with the rectilux, and probably a few more mm with the FVD 16.

Use Tito's excellent anamorphic calculator, it's a time saver.

Okay, thanks. So much information in such a short time is getting muddled in my spherical, full frame brain.

Although the Kowa 16-... variants are a lot cheaper, I keep going back to the Kowa B&H/16H/8z/Elmoscope II scopes. Based on eBay prices, the 16 lenses aren't really that cheap, so I may just save my money and search for a B&H/16H/8z/Elmoscope.

In your opinion what is a good price for a very good to mint condition copy of:

Kowa 16a, 16d, 16s

Kowa B&H

Kowa 16H/8z

Elmoscope II

Thanks again, I appreciate your guys' help!

2 hours ago, heart0less said:

@mercer

This sample shot was taken with Sankor Type-5E, which is believed to share the same optics as Kowa 16-H / B&H, etc - meaning: you can't go any wider.

No single focus diopter. Both lenses (Helios and Sankor) set to infinity.

Courtesy of Daniel Cai:

image.thumb.png.0d5809858d71b77fde2b0afa15d72dca.png

image.png.6079233a450af2ddc08fb594cac3a749.png

My dear god, these stills look fantastic..

image.png.9a176200ccef060824af5d9b03814f60.png

image.png.d24a3d76b60cd03d0b1023c8866b8212.png

image.png.69b9f4ccea0a1308db19099fc6c15ad7.png

The post you linked looks more like 55 mm on an APS-C sensor to me. 

Thanks, I haven't heard of the Sankor before... I assume that's the same one Timotheus mentioned?

What are those frames from?

Idk, maybe the frame I posted is from an aps-c sensor, I just based my assumption by his surprise of coverage. I assumed he wouldn't have been as surprised if it was shot on a 1.5x crop camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, mercer said:

In your opinion what is a good price for a very good to mint condition copy of:

Kowa 16a, 16d, 16s

Kowa B&H

Kowa 16H/8z

Elmoscope II

Thanks again, I appreciate your guys' help!

That's a tough one. But a mint Kowa 16a/d/s will cost you around 250-350 dollars

A mint 16h/elmoscope/B&H will cost you aroung a 1000 dollars. You might pay a couple hundred less if you accept a few scratches here and there.

For the last two months, I've been looking to get a blue coating 16h, but because I already have a Kowa B&H and a yellow 16h, I wasn't ready to pay a lot. Finally bought a chipped lens for 250 dollars. It really was for the sake of having them all (the Pokemon way, I am hopeless). Turns out, the chipped part barely impacts the image (actually brings a nice flare with extreme bright spot lights). What I mean is, don't necessarily go for the perfect lens, otherwise you might end up paying a premium price. A few scratches really do not impact image quality up to a certain point.

52 minutes ago, mercer said:

I assume that's the same one Timotheus mentioned?

I think it's safe to assume that it's the one, though I'm not 100% sure. Never heard of 'anamoprime' before. 

53 minutes ago, mercer said:

What are those frames from?

Just some sample photos from Daniel Cai taken with the abovementioned Sankor. He shared them in his sale post on Anamorphic Shooters. 

His asking price was 475$ and he listed it only today, but I suppose it's already sold. 

56 minutes ago, mercer said:

I assumed he wouldn't have been as surprised if it was shot on a 1.5x crop camera.

55 mm on APS-C camera is still quite good result, if we're talking about full 3:2 coverage. 

I, myself, am not able to achieve that. 

21 minutes ago, Julien416 said:

What I mean is, don't necessarly go for the perfect lens, otherwise you might end up paying a premium price. A few scratch really do not impact image quality up to a certain point.

+1

I agree completely. 

5 minutes ago, Julien416 said:

@Tito Ferradans x1,33 is no x2.

Two very different ballpark. The sirui is pretty nice but to many it's a glorified spherical lens with a flare set... A nice one. But anamorphic is more than flare, you know that very well.

I am not sure people will stop buying the best projector lenses to get a sirui instead. 

Indeed different ballpark, but nothing that can't be fixed (someone say oval inserts?).

As for sales, most people are in this not because of the stretch factor, but to get cinemascope, and 1.33x will give you that. It's not like prices will drop like crazy overnight, but I expect them to slow down.

I am not so sure about the Sirui effect. SLR magic was supposed to do that but didn't.

But as soon as somone will make an affordable X2 lens, this market will indeed start shrinking I reckon. But greed (the good ol' "anamorphic lens are expensive to make") will probably stop people from going under the 1K bar before long.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 6:00 AM, Julien416 said:

I have several front housings with Cinelux, Kowa 16h, Hypergonar and Dyaliscope 16
And four taking lenses housings : Jupiter 9, Helios, Contax 50 and 85.
and a rectilux to focus them.

I just switch back and forth between those, creating different looks, from very clean to vintage fest depending on my mood or what I am planning to shoot. I used the Hypergonar / Helios combination on a TV series last year for close ups that I matched with Panavision glasses, worked pretty well but I felt stuck with the vintage look (figured out later that my Helios was a lemon). That's why I went for the "choose your look" route since then with different options.

I know. I am sick.

Julien, do you have any taking lens recommendations for my infinity focus issue?

Thanks!