Sample Video - Comparing The Sony Rx10, A7R And Fs100

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Have you noticed how much better A7R looks with a close-up shot, to the shot at the start with the whole scene in it?

It seems lack of resolving power, moire and aliasing don't matter as much with close-ups.

It isn't the camera to pick for a vista though.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is the RX10 better than the GH3?

Well, this weekend Samys had the GH3 for only $700 US and I decided the RX10 was a better deal for my needs. I have a big rig setup with C100 and want a small stealth portable that will match the C100s resolution from entire 4K sensor readout, and the RX10 does that.

BTW I have MFT lenses so total cost was not the issue, total usability was.

Well, this weekend Samys had the GH3 for only $700 US and I decided the RX10 was a better deal for my needs. I have a big rig setup with C100 and want a small stealth portable that will match the C100s resolution from entire 4K sensor readout, and the RX10 does that.

BTW I have MFT lenses so total cost was not the issue, total usability was.

Thanks for the reply! I looking for the ultimate camera for my MultiCopter for my www.frozenendurance.com project. I use the 5DMKIII now but its heavy and because of that it reduces fly-time. So the RX10 might be a nice compact solution. 

Have you noticed how much better A7R looks with a close-up shot, to the shot at the start with the whole scene in it?

It seems lack of resolving power, moire and aliasing don't matter as much with close-ups.

It isn't the camera to pick for a vista though.

indeed.  the full scene looks lacking in detail in a big way.  at first I though it was the lens being slightly mis focused but this isnt the case.  

i would actually say that it could be to do with the offset micro lenses on the a7r - the distagon i used is a proper slr lens where the rear element is spaced a good way away from the sensor.  since the a7r is optimised for full frame lenses which are designed with a short rear element to sensor distance (like leica rf lenses) maybe this is having an effect on the sharpness when the lens is set to infinity and the rear element is a certain distance from the sensor.  though based on this theory i think it should be the close focus that would suffer more.  however the squirrel fur is certainly not lacking in detail by typical dslr standards.

re. squirrel...  yes indeed he is a taxidermy job.  i love photographing squirrels but they're very camera shy so i thought i'd grab a dead one - he has been prepared very well though:)   

Camcorder killer requires more than 30-minutes recording time, as many tasks I'd use camcorder for need this (presentations and so on).

If RX10 can do this, that's ace!

EDIT: 29 minutes maximum per clip. Since I've read nothing of clip spanning, I have to say that it can't do all that a camcorder can. Bastard import rules.

• Administrators

Indeed, bloody Europeans. Vote UKIP!! :)

You'll need an external recorder to break the 29 minutes limit. So it is possible. But an hour of ProRes isn't exactly small in terms of file sizes relative to a camcorder.

Also I don't think the AF is quite quick enough to replace a camcorder.

But when you need the zoom, the range, the built in ND, it definitely has a purpose!

• 6 months later...