Sample Video - Comparing The Sony Rx10, A7R And Fs100

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Download the original file at Vimeo

Note: This is an early-days test I did quickly before a shoot today. A larger one encompassing more cameras (GH3, D5200, 5D Mark III, Blackmagic Pocket Camera) and scenes will be on EOSHD during the coming week.

The Sony RX10 appears to play in the same ballpark as the Sony FS100. Is this the new budget king for semi-pro videographers?

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It appears that Sony shifted the neutral gray point within the useable DR range so that there was more room in highlights, and slightly less in shadow. This is not that good for still but for film it is wonderful as highlight roll off is key to making films seem fix as opposed to video like with blown highlights. This is because when a image goes by quickly we can seen blown highlights more than we see shadow detail. The is opposed to still pictures where we have the time to examine shadow detail, Therefore still cameras are tuned so that there is more DR below neutral gray, and true cinema cameras have more above neutral gray. This is why DSLRs are tuned to blow out highlights in order to preserve shadow, and why DSLR videos suffer. And videos from video cameras tuned the same way, as a video camera. While it seems that the DR of the RX10 has been tuned to make it more cinema like. Strong move SONY. I am shocked and thrilled.

Does the active stabilization on the RX10 reduce resolution?

From the article...

With active image stabilisation turned on you get a bit of a crop. With it set only to optical image stabilisation without the added electronic crop for extra stability, there’s no crop. It’s great to have two stabilisation options in the camera. With active stabilisation enabled it is approaching Olympus 5 axis IBIS for effectiveness.

Hi Andrew. Great post!

I am looking for a camera for my video drone. Was looking at the GH3 but the RX10 looks great to. 

The biggest advantage is that the GH3 can hold a range of lenses of course. But how about video quality?

How does the RX10 stand against the GH3? Whats your opinion?

Thanks!

Wilco

Hi Andrew!

It looks like the RX10 have a better dynamic range against the FS100 is that possible? at least the highlights are better handled.

This RX10 have the time limit in the NTSC model?

Cheers;

The blacks look deeper as well, so I'm assuming it is just slightly underexposed compared to the Fs100. I doubt it has better dynamic range, but would love to see a comparison on that specific trait. 

No doesn't seem to but only early days in my test.

Slashcam reports that the electronic IS introduces moire and aliasing, but that when it is turned off the RX10 rivals C300 for resolution. Electroic IS not only crops image but causes the system to constantly rescale image and that introduces moire and aliasing.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashcam.de%2Fartikel%2FTest%2FSony-DSC-RX10---Der-Camcorder-Killer.html&sandbox=1

Go to page with measured tests.

Also look at their C300 test charts. They call the RX10 a camcorder killer. And say that with electronic IS off resolution rivals high end camcorders.

A7R video mode at iso800:-

Pass:- A7R

I'm happy with the results from the video mode.  Not as good as I'd have liked, but the stills from this beast make up for it.  Be sure to download the original file - vimeo seem to have upped the levels of compression they apply recently.  

8000iso:-

25600iso:-

• Administrators

slashcam reports that the electronic IS introduces moire and aliasing, but that when it is turned off the RX10 rivals C300 for resolution. Electroic IS not only crops mags but causes the system to constantly rescale image and that intrudes moire and aliasing.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashcam.de%2Fartikel%2FTest%2FSony-DSC-RX10---Der-Camcorder-Killer.html&sandbox=1

To to page with measured tests.

Also look at their C300 test charts. They call the RX10 a camcorder killer. And say that with electronic IS off is rival high end camcorders.

Very interesting.

And to answer the question above, yes you can use optical stabilisation only (provided by the lens) with no crop. Any sensor based stabilisation on top of that be it 5 axis on the Olympus OM-Ds or electronic on the RX10 will perform a slight crop.

Rich... Nice squirrel. Is it stuffed? :)