Hybrid Mono Tripod

MrSMW

Does one exist...?

If so, I can't find it!

Currently, based on a compromise of speed vs stability, I use a Sirui 204s monopod.

It has decent...good stability even when not extended above it's 'closed up' height, but obviously, the taller it is extended and the heavier the load, the more unbalanced it becomes.

Meanwhile, cranking up and down 3 legs, AKA a tripod is too slow for my use.

Ideal would be a tripod style legs, but an extending monopod style pole, ie, increased stability at the base, but retaining the speed of the mono system for height.

Anyone know of a manufacturer who makes such a thing or am I pissing into the wind, same as I am requiring the tech of the XT3 in an XH1 body with a GFX battery?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sachter Flowtech is a faster way of adjusting a tripod - I think with a little practice it would be faster than my monopod with snap locks. After tinkering with one for awhile in B&H, its really well thought out.

https://www.sachtler.com/en/flowtech/

But I mostly use a video monopod with a wide feet base or a gimbal these days, so my tripod usage is pretty small in comparison and I really can't justify the cost of high end sticks.

Chris

9 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

Always seems like a compromise of both designs to me.  Given that a monopod minus head weighs so little, I find it better just to pack both and share a head between them.  That has it's own compromises - no quick release swap for example, but seems to work best for me.

You could always buy a couple of solid quick-release plate/sockets and put them in-between the head and the tripod/monopod, then you could quick-change the head from one to the other, even with the camera attached.

It's some cost and some hassle and some weight, but if time is that important in how you shoot (which it might be) then you might find it worthwhile.

Nothing above really suits my needs. Maybe I need to manufacture something myself and float it on Kickstarter?!

The Sirui I already have is still the closest but I just wish it had a bigger ‘tripod’ base.

The answer may be to mount a monopod pole onto a non-extended tripod base...

I find it strange that something like this does not exist (from my research) as it makes sense to me, ie a sturdier based monopod... 

56 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Nothing above really suits my needs. Maybe I need to manufacture something myself and float it on Kickstarter?!

The Sirui I already have is still the closest but I just wish it had a bigger ‘tripod’ base.

I find it strange that something like this does not exist (from my research) as it makes sense to me, ie a sturdier based monopod... 

sirui monopod is pretty much the only thing out there that fits your criteria. I have tried a few other monopod and none came close.

what kind of setup do you have on top of your 204? 

I have a p4k fully rigged on top of my 424 and I can extend the 2 top section fully without issue. You do have to make sure your setup is balance on the head though. 

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

There might be a middle ground where you get a <person> to make you some longer legs for the little tripod thingy on the bottom of your monopod, but legs that would use the same mechanism.

I'm not sure what the word is these days, but <person> above is actually "maker" in YouTuber parlance, as there are now a ton of people on YT that can design/prototype/print/carve/lasercut custom stuff, and seem to work with any material known to man.  

I think tinkering with mounting a monopod to a tripod is probably your best bet if you need something with a larger footprint than the Siuri. I have the 025x CF tripod, if you take off the head and the vertical extension, the legs by themselves are super light. Or perhaps you can 3d print some extensions to the Siuri feet? I'm interested to see what you find as I use my old Manfrotto video monopod a lot and I'm looking at the Siuri or the iFootage Cobra as a replacement because they both seem to be more stable than my current setup. Good luck.

Chris

The only thing I have between camera and monopod is a quick release plate.

Tried several heads and even a Ronin gimbal but  every option just added weight or time.

I shoot statically, ie let my subject provide any movement and my prime use of a mono is:

A: no IBIS in XT3 and

B: no fast OIS lenses. Just tried the only OIS prime I could find, one of the new Tamron’s and it’s stabilisation is a bit crap.

And no, don’t suggest XH1, no 4K 60p.

Or mention any other camera brand. It’s far simpler (though not simple) to sort out my mono/tripod question than replace an entire kit...and the footage is fabulous SOOC.

I have a friend who is a blacksmith so may ask him if he could fabricate something for me to extend the feet on my current Sirui.

Or adapting mono stick to tripod legs may be the answer.

I will let you know when Frankenpod (TM) has been brought to life!

I've used lightweight, aluminum baby stands with tilting mechanisms mounted on top.  Some such light stands with tubular legs are fairly sturdy and have a wide base (which is adjustable).

The tilting mechanism that I used mounted to the baby pin on the top the stand, just like one mounts a light fixture onto a light stand.  This configuration made it a breeze to swap the tilting head (with the camera mounted) between the baby pin on the light stand and the baby pin on my DIY camera stabilizer.