Black Magic Pocket Camera

Alan

The BMD pocket camera is a huge disappointment. I ordered one on the first day it was announced at the NAB show on 8 April 2013. I received it a few days ago - 7.5 months after ordering.

The main thing is that the screen is unusable in poor lighting conditions - even with the brightness set at 100%. It's not exactly great in good lighting conditions either. The focussing works more or less satisfactorily on auto, if using an appropriate lens but the focus peaking facility is completely useless.

I spent a great deal on money getting set-up with this camera - including buying the expensive Redrock Micro adaptor so that I could fit my range of 'L' series Canon lenses to the camera. I also bought the over-priced Panasonic Lumix 7 mm to 14 mm wide angle lens. On top of that there is the cost of microphones and a good Sachtler tripod, high speed storage cards etc. OK some of these things would be needed regardless of what camera I bought, but still, in my case, I bought them all in readiness for  using this particular camera.

Not only that, but the version 10 of Da Vinci Resolve Lite I downloaded and installed fails to work properly, in as much as it doesn't pick up any of the hard drives connected to my computer  (media page; library), therefore making it impossible to bring any clips onto the media page at all - making the program completely useless. I have re-booted and done all the usual things to make sure it should work, but it still doesn't work. Just to add  insult to injury, the advertised DVD containing this software IS NOT INCLUDED in the package containing the camera - and you have to download the latest 'firmware' into the camera to make it work in RAW - again, a facility that was advertised but not included with the camera.

All in all, BMD products are a complete let-down and a waste of my money, as well as the 7.5 months I spent waiting for it to be delivered.

The company has FAILED!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I love the way people shift responsibility for their actions onto someone else.
Resolve 10 lite works perfectly on my relatively cheap 2012 iMac. Maybe you need to adjust your set up?
Focus peaking works perfectly on my pocket camera.
Yes, the screen is hard to see in daylight. There is a $165 Kinotehnik loupe available.
You didn't need to spend anything more than a m4/3rds lens and an sd card to use the pocket camera. Everything else you bought was your own decision and can't be blamed on BMD.
And honestly, I can't believe your complaining that you had to download the latest firmware!!!! How hard is that? You have to download the latest version of everything you buy these days. That's the Internet age for you.
As above, I'm really loving my pocket camera. The image quality is superb, but yes, it is a bit quirky.

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad to report that the Toshiba Exceria Type 2 64GB sdxc card did not work on my pocket camera :( boohooo.... have this wonderful camera and can't use it.

Not only did I order the wrong batteries (EL12 instead of EL2s) I "cheaped out" on the SD card and now can't record anything until I get the new Sandisk Extreme Pro card :(

Really happy to be able to use my Minolta glass on it, but really like the Super 16mm glass instead. So much lighter. May also end up investing on some MFT zoom lens with IS. Handholding this on anything above a 28mm is pretty shaky. Ok, I only have a 55mm above the 28mm, so I haven't been able to try anything else in between.

I just realized that the Camera Name in the options actually translates to the file names on the card, which is interesting.

I wish the screen showed a couple more things: File Number, and whether the Focus Peak is on. The focus peak feature is not as good as my Magic Lantern, and sometimes no outline shows up at all, so I wonder if the feature is on or off   :(

I love the grip, and the response time. It starts recording right away, and turns on real quick too.