Metabones EF to RF Speedbooster! Komodo and EOS R suddenly looking pretty good?

EthanAlexander

SB’s usually degrade IQ to varying degrees, especially edge sharpness so I’d like to see the Metabones SB 4K compared to non-SB 4K as well as FF FHD.

And obviously AF speed (with latest firmware EOS R has finally got a usable continuous  eye-AF so that might be a good stress test).

The control wheel feature with clickable function is also a super nice added touch, I don’t even think the official Canon adapters have got that click function (which Metabones claims can be set to DoF preview etc) so I wonder how that works.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

@jpfilmz Thanks for sharing. Can you take FF stills with the speed booster on so we can see how big the image circle is? And have you been able to test DPAF performance?

The vignetting is horrible in FF photo/video mode.  Totally unusable and the only way around it is to set photo and video to crop.  Keep a standard canon adaptors for any full frame use.  DPAF seems fine but i need to test it more.  

Headed to a shoot, will post pics later!

1 hour ago, jpfilmz said:

The vignetting is horrible in FF photo/video mode.  Totally unusable and the only way around it is to set photo and video to crop.  Keep a standard canon adaptors for any full frame use.  DPAF seems fine but i need to test it more.  

Headed to a shoot, will post pics later!

I'm just trying to figure out how big the image circle is to see if it will work on the Komodo at 6K. I know it won't cover full frame. Are you able to test this?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 6:40 PM, DaveAltizer said:

Really dig this adapter. Fixes the EOS R in my book. Here is my video test first look

I'm receiving my EOS R this week ($1299 at B&H with the private coupon code - no brainer!) -- so this video came in at the perfect time.  I wonder, how would a Sigma 18-35/1.8 plus this speedbooster work with the 1.74x 4k of the EOS R?  Would the 18mm vignette?  What would the usable range be, and in FF equivalence? 

And at $479 that's a lot less than their usual $600+ m43 to EF speedboosters.  I wonder if they'll come out with a .64x "XL" speedbooster like they do for m43 -- that would get us to 1.11x crop!