CANON 17-55mm 2.8 and BMPCC4K

OliveOliveOlive

Hi everyone

I'm fed up trying to make my canon 17-55mm 2.8 work on our dear camera.
I bought three adapters and no one worked ! I also broke a new vitrox ef-m2 trying to adapt the canon ef-s on it. 

I final bought a viltrox ef-M1 as I saw on forum than it works with 2.3 firmware on it. Mut maybe because I got the last firmware on the BMPCC4K, I neither can't manage to have iris management nor IS (stabilisation) on the camera. 

So I decide to ask for help.

Thanks from Paris, France. 

Olivier

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

1. You can't use EOS EF-S (APS-C) Canon lenses on any speedbooster or Canon full frame camera. They have plastic part that protrudes deeper then normal full frame EOS EF lenses. Some people modify - cut the protruding part or simply pop up the plastic part in the back of the lens in order to mount them on full frame camera. I've done it on cheap EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 but won't do it on expensive EF-S 17-55mm f2.8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount 

Solution is to use third party lenses, like Sigma or Tamron, they have standard EF mount and fit without problem.

2. Viltrox speedboosters are cheap but often problematic. That's my conclusion. Have exactly the same combination as The ghost of squig - Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 + Viltrox EF-M2 II and it doesn't work. Tried BMPCC 4K firmware 6.2 and 6.6 and Viltrox firmware 2.3 , 3.3. Neither stabilization nor aperture work in any combination of firmware. So maybe my Viltrox is defective because it can't even change aperture of any other Canon lens I have (24-105mm, 50mm, Tokina 11-16mm) except Canon EF 35mm f2 (old version). By the way there is new Viltrox firmaware 3.4 but can't test it now.

Solution for me is unfortunately to buy the much more expensive Metabones speedbooster.

Otherwise BMPCC 4K is great for me. It has it quirks, they are well known but there are ways to get around them. Like  and use the camera a lot. 

I would like to see BM add m43 profiles for correcting native lenses. I am using the 12-100 Olympus, which is alright if you start from 16mm or something, but it ain't usable under that.

I hate speedboosters and adapters, they always create problems, but they are ok for manual lenses and my Samyangs.

For run and gun I would suggest go native (m43).