RED Komodo

nathlas

38 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Global shutter is pretty exciting, no?

Yes and No. Currently I shoot Zcam, majority fast action sports, I've never once had an issue with rolling shutter artefacts in my shots. It's a nice feature but with fast rolling shuuter speed not an important aspect at all for me. I'd rather better DR than global shutter.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
27 minutes ago, tweak said:

Yes and No. Currently I shoot Zcam, majority fast action sports, I've never once had an issue with rolling shutter artefacts in my shots. It's a nice feature but with fast rolling shuuter speed not an important aspect at all for me. I'd rather better DR than global shutter.

They addressed the issue with the lower DR and global shutter. 

30 minutes ago, Alt Shoo said:

They addressed the issue with the lower DR and global shutter. 

They did their best to optimise the DR. For a charge domain based global shutter, it's doing ok, but it's poor compared to conventional rolling shutter sensors.

It's positioned primarily as a high-end crash cam, only global shutter can guarantee zero skew and zero flash banding.

• Administrators

The low light and DR looks good to me. The last global shutter cinema camera I used was Digital Bolex and BM Production Camera 4K. Both not exactly known for their low light performance past ISO 200 :)

The Komodo and Z-CAM both look like interesting cameras for the price to me. Z-CAM prices especially would have been unthinkable only 2 years ago.

@deezid it looks clean, but still video-ish. And I’m seeing a tint on it. That must be whatever ND filter that is on it. I don’t think I’m impressed with the Komodo.......yet. To think I’m so ready to invest in a new camera system and I haven’t done so especially with the plethora out there. Maybe I’m not ready as I think. 🙁

11 hours ago, Alt Shoo said:

Komodo Specs

6K Super 35 27.03 x 14.25mm (6144 x 3240)

Global Shutter 

Full-sensor up to 6K 40 fps

6K WS at 50 fps

4K at 60 fps

120 fps at 2K

12G-SDI output with 2160p at 60 fps

R3D files (REDCODE RAW)

3.5mm microphone/headphone

No XLR  

CFast cards, not dual 

Wireless video module 

Touchscreen Display 

Phase Detection Autofocus

Canon RF mount

Size: 4″ x 4″ (10.16 cm x 10.16 cm)

Weight: 2lbs (900g) approx.

It’s been pretty transparent honestly. 

Those aren’t bad specs if they are official. Mainly, REDCODE RAW, 6K, PDAF, and a R mount if it’s closer to $6K price range.

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Because sensorship is in place

Any negative post will be deemed unprofessional and will be removed, only the glorious post remain.

Screenshot_20200613-082425_Chrome.jpg

That’s a bit sad. Some RED owners unfortunately act like they are part of some elitist cult. On the whole they don’t take criticism lightly. It’s the audience that counts, not the damn camera. 

Although they’ve created a weird vibe about it recently, Komodo is interesting for sure. 

40 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

That’s a bit sad. Some RED owners unfortunately act like they are part of some elitist cult. On the whole they don’t take criticism lightly. It’s the audience that counts, not the damn camera. 

Although they’ve created a weird vibe about it recently, Komodo is interesting for sure. 

I was removed from the Facebook group because I argued that the footage should be critiqued and analyzed like any other footage. It’s a very weird vibe over there. Either you bow down to Jared or you get the boot. They also preach maturity, but can’t take any criticism. When the whole Red SSD fiasco happened, the amount of people defending Red on their forums were crazy. I don’t even dislike their cameras, but man it feels like you have to constantly walk on eggshells. 

Not walking on eggshells ....

I recently logged into RedU ... joined in 2011 ... initially had a Red One then an Epic ... upgrade ...

It was the same ethos/gestalt/shtick then as now. Cult like ... with all the players dancing around the flame.

Say the wrong thing and ... gone. Say the right thing and praise be!

To be brutally honest ... RED has a great raw workflow and Graeme has done wonderful things with their color. Forward thinking with storage and

hardware .... there is a core of dedicated good DPs who use RED ... and a contingent of wannabes who hope to leverage the name for personal

gain ... they tend to be the shrill massed voice of approbation for any dissent ... and since they will open their hearts and credit cards ... seem to find

great support from the team.

So schade ... without a doubt the company and the cameras are good enough for them to drop the adolescent sex/power/anger posturing and

join the rest of us who value great hardware ... good workflow and color science ... and value the contributions of Jim and Jarred who shook up the

sleepy corporate giants ... forced them to compete ...

Its a bit of the Burning Man gestalt ... rock till you drop ... and I get the thought.

But going forward ... they need to find a way to embrace the faithful while encouraging others to join the fold. Won't happen over eggshells ...

Gracious acceptance and embracing the confusion/questions/criticisms will lead them to a new level of acceptance and overwhelm their ability

to deliver product. RED has historically been a bit challenged to step up manufacture of product ... the present California lockdown has magnified that

liability but if they could ramp up production they could challenge the status quo .... perhaps forcing Canon to release a true Cine cam with RF mount.

Go figure ....