RED Komodo

nathlas

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Yeah that looks really meh. Don't understand why Jim doesn't hand one of these units to someone who knows what they are doing and create interesting visuals. 

Jim is not in charge any more. It's Jarred. I am sure there will be better footage coming soon.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’m actually on the email list for the Komodo and should have another correspondence from Jarred next week for the Yellow Komodos. I’m not really excited about it anymore.  I’m still very interested in the GFX100 and would rather get that. Still I’m holding off because I think Fuji will release a more “cinema cam” version of the GFX100. 

7284DAB8-83CE-412B-88A9-9365151DBDBF.jpeg

I ended up tuning in for a lot of the stream and leaving it on in the background while I was hanging out. Some of the most interesting things to me:

-monochrome sensor Komodo coming after color version is out

-Raw is supposedly a different compression than current DSMC2 Red’s (DCT vs JPEG2000?)

-Sensor is true global shutter. Previously Jarred said it was a “mode” which confused me a bit. Apparently they originally planned to have a RS and GS mode, but got the DR high enough in the GS mode to where there was no need to keep the RS mode.

-Komodo started out as something that could replace GoPros in big films for action sequences but ended up being more powerful than initially expected 

-has motion sensor(s) that aren’t enabled yet 

2 hours ago, FranciscoB said:

What a shitshow of a promotion for this camera. What happened to specs, good footage and NON 6 HOURS videos?

In the Q&A Jarred said they haven't published specs because things are in flux and still changing every day.  The models out in the wild are basically beta in terms of firmware, but I believe the hardware is nailed down.  Someone posted frame rates and resolution on the Facebook group as well as some R3D files and a global shutter test of a spinning fan.

Interestingly, Jarred also said they felt like they had to move up the Komodo launch earlier than they wanted because of what happened with the Hydrogen.  So, yeah, I guess they're kind of making it up as they go somewhat, but based on the promising DR chart I saw posted I'm really curious to see how it stacks up against other cameras out there.  

13 hours ago, maxmizer said:

The end will be worse and will cost more than a kinefinity....

I’m curious to see if they can hold to the $6k.  So far the custom colors for early adopters are holding to the $7k.  And I really curious to see what a monochrome version would be priced at.  There aren’t really any reasonably priced monochrome cameras out there since it’s such a niche market (especially for video).

6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Do the people buying the custom colors even know what the specs are?

Does an NDA notice appear on the packaging and apply as soon as the tape is broken? Like WTH? It’s a little weird.

Komodo Specs

6K Super 35 27.03 x 14.25mm (6144 x 3240)

Global Shutter 

Full-sensor up to 6K 40 fps

6K WS at 50 fps

4K at 60 fps

120 fps at 2K

12G-SDI output with 2160p at 60 fps

R3D files (REDCODE RAW)

3.5mm microphone/headphone

No XLR  

CFast cards, not dual 

Wireless video module 

Touchscreen Display 

Phase Detection Autofocus

Canon RF mount

Size: 4″ x 4″ (10.16 cm x 10.16 cm)

Weight: 2lbs (900g) approx.

It’s been pretty transparent honestly. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Alt Shoo said:

6K Super 35 27.03 x 14.25mm (6144 x 3240)

Global Shutter 

Phase Detection Autofocus

Canon RF mount

The most interesting bits

I am wondering who made the sensor. Not many global shutter 6K Super 35mm sensors with PDAF out there from Sony that I know of!

The Canon tie-in is obvious.

I think this is part of an agreement with Canon doing RAW internal without violating RED patent.

On 6/7/2020 at 3:46 PM, Patrick B. said:

In the Q&A Jarred said they haven't published specs because things are in flux and still changing every day.  The models out in the wild are basically beta in terms of firmware, but I believe the hardware is nailed down.  Someone posted frame rates and resolution on the Facebook group as well as some R3D files and a global shutter test of a spinning fan.

RED is amazing with their marketing, they're getting folks to PAY to be beta testers!