RED Komodo

nathlas

19 minutes ago, Elagabalus said:

1) The price has been about 6K for 6K right from the beginning. Jarred's first post said that "It's not under 5K unless you own a Hydrogen" and Hydrogen owners get a discount of at least 1K. Latest pricing is that the first few units are 7K while the normal release will be 6K. 

2) Komodo can use 3rd party accessories and media. I'm not even sure if it's possible to use RED accessories or media on it even if you wanted to. Buy CFast cards from your local store, get a monitor from SmallHD or a recorder from Atomos and start shooting.

I've seen a lot of posts like yours online about Komodo. This highlights the problem with Komodo and all RED products moving forward: People have certain perception of them and their products which is difficult to change. 

$6K for Komodo, $300-500 for smallHD monitor or Atomos monitor. If you have those things, great. Then you probably need a grip on the side etc...Not my cup of tea.

I do like the concept and I hope it brings more innovation to our industry. I do not however have consumer trust in RED as a company based on past history.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you want to kit something out cheap you can. There are monitors for $150 out there, you could also throw on a cheap grip(though you'd not have a record button).
I know a guy who got an inexpensive Alexa and went cheap on all the accessories.  

16 bit RAW, with a legit 13 stops of dynamic range would be very compelling, especially if it can maintain that in Global shutter.

Yeah I am considering a RED simply for name brand recognition. Though I'd prefer Arri, though the mini is just stupid expensive. 

The C300 MK3 is very attractive for me though a RED Dragon Epic is still less expensive and the image is superb. 

I haven't heard anything about big productions being fucked up by RED's so I doubt that is really a real issue.

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I am considering a RED simply for name brand recognition. Though I'd prefer Arri, though the mini is just stupid expensive. 

The C300 MK3 is very attractive for me though a RED Dragon Epic is still less expensive and the image is superb. 

I haven't heard anything about big productions being fucked up by RED's so I doubt that is really a real issue.

there are a lot of stories about "Initializing" staying there for minutes. Very slow start up time. Restart the camera after a glitch, usually when one uses the pre-roll function. tha fans hit so hard that are soundmen nightmare e.t.c It is well know in the industry that is a "special" breed of cameras, and some cameramen call them "producers choice", not DPs or cameramen. 

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

there are a lot of stories about "Initializing" staying there for minutes. Very slow start up time. Restart the camera after a glitch, usually when one uses the pre-roll function. tha fans hit so hard that are soundmen nightmare e.t.c It is well know in the industry that is a "special" breed of cameras, and some cameramen call them "producers choice", not DPs or cameramen. 

That may be true though there are definitely many DP's who like RED, probably less though for camera OP's lol. RED's are definitely known to be quirky. 

If we want to hate on companies though Blackmagic has been plagued with issues.  Especially the older cameras though even with the 6k. Almost like they put their cameras out without any real testing. Uneven magenta tints that ruin your image, that were put in tons of cameras. I've never heard anything like that from RED. I guess it doesn't really matter with Blackmagic though as their cameras are so cheap. 

But in terms of data loss I've never heard any complaints particular to RED. I've recently heard a ton of data loss stories about the S1H. 

I mean any production where a lot of money is on the line there are going to be a many cameras on set. One camera going down isn't going to hinder a production. 

Arri is the standard for reliability which is definitely why its still the industry standard on high end productions. But not many have the cash to rent one and even less buy one. 

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

That may be true though there are definitely many DP's who like RED, probably less though for camera OP's lol. RED's are definitely known to be quirky. 

If we want to hate on companies though Blackmagic has been plagued with issues.  Especially the older cameras though even with the 6k. Almost like they put their cameras out without any real testing. Uneven magenta tints that ruin your image, that were put in tons of cameras. I've never heard anything like that from RED. I guess it doesn't really matter with Blackmagic though as their cameras are so cheap. 

But in terms of data loss I've never heard any complaints particular to RED. I've recently heard a ton of data loss stories about the S1H. 

I mean any production where a lot of money is on the line there are going to be a many cameras on set. One camera going down isn't going to hinder a production. 

Arri is the standard for reliability which is definitely why its still the industry standard on high end productions. But not many have the cash to rent one and even less buy one. 

I, personally, didn't have any real issues with Red cameras, I just do not like them, and even in sound, most of the times I was ok.

Imagine though that they were offering low budget media for top productions. I am not sure if that was a wise strategy, but I am not keen on Red things, so I am not sure if anyone lost any data because of the cheap media. Do the research and inform us(!).

Most of the times, another brand was usually a better choice though.

Here, "small" kids are renting Red cameras, or even buying ones, to look professional! I have seen so much bad footage out of them, it is unbelievable!

19 hours ago, Elagabalus said:

Even though Komodo would pay for itself in like two weeks just because it's RED. Every lingerie model, amateur band, hobbyist skateboarder, wannabe director and hip startup company goes crazy for the brand for some reason. If you want to roll in cash, shoot on RED and do post on Apple.

Yeah, this is an important point...

On 5/20/2020 at 1:14 PM, Mike Mgee said:

The S1H vs BMPCC6K is 12.7 vs 11.9 stops. You can see the difference in the highlight rolloff and the "thickness" of the image. You can also tell if you zoom in to around 200%....but that's lame.

Please explain the "thickness" of the image. 

Even though Komodo would pay for itself in like two weeks just because it's RED. Every lingerie model, amateur band, hobbyist skateboarder, wannabe director and hip startup company goes crazy for the brand for some reason. If you want to roll in cash, shoot on RED and do post on Apple.

RED image quality and color science hasn't taken the hit that you think it has.

You seem to have a hate for them and i understand that.  I don't agree with RED's business model and practices they've done in the past. 

Just the fact that RED brand carries the weight it does says a lot. I love how cheap BlackMagic cameras are and I love Resolve but I could show you 50 You Tube links from BM cameras that all have IR pollution and the person that shot and posted the footage has no clue that it's an issue. 

9 hours ago, Elagabalus said:

Point me to the post where I have said anything even remotely close to that.

Again, point me to the post where I have expressed hate for RED. You can't. Because most of my posts in this thread included phrases like "It's dirt cheap for what you get in terms of specs". I've also provided accurate information for those who have had misinformed opinions about the price, the specs and accessories, based solely on their previous impression of RED. 

You are the first user with a negative reputation on this forum that I've seen. Wonder why? 

I haven't read through your 55 post so I don't know what you've written on the boards.  I picked up your backhanded compliments to RED and that's all.

Looks like the first colour is shipping on Friday, kinda crazy that these will be shipping to customers with barely any released specs & very little sample footage... I guess the Red guys have a lot of faith in the product. At least it looks like the wheels are finally in motion for the camera to get in the hands of users so we can actually see some footage shot. 

For me the interesting thing about this camera is that it has a global shutter and close to Helium's claimed '16.5+' dynamic range. It'll be interesting to see how it actually stacks up. The form factor looks great too, small but easy to rig.

58 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Looks like the first colour is shipping on Friday, kinda crazy that these will be shipping to customers with barely any released specs & very little sample footage... I guess the Red guys have a lot of faith in the product. 

I bet RED could sell a camera with nothing but a price tag! Without a single spec released, and they'd still find RED fanboys who want the honor to be first in line to buy one  

41 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The great thing about this is it will drive the price of the EPIC dragon and all RED models down. 

Waiting for the RED Scarlet MX bodies to be given away for free on eBay. We're almost there. 

On 5/27/2020 at 1:37 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Lord I hate RED, so gimmicky. That said there is nothing gimmicky about 16 stops(actually like 13.5/14) and a global shutter. Will it have usable 1600/3200 iso too? 

The great thing about this is it will drive the price of the EPIC dragon and all RED models down. 

Probably but what specs is the komodo missing that you want from a epic dragon?

2 hours ago, Patrick B. said:

This dynamic range chart seems curious.

Usually the industry standard Xyla charts are available in 15, 21 and 26 steps. But this one seems to be somewhere in between 15 and 21 steps. Maybe RED invented their own chart? 

5 hours ago, sanveer said:

This dynamic range chart seems curious.

Usually the industry standard Xyla charts are available in 15, 21 and 26 steps. But this one seems to be somewhere in between 15 and 21 steps. Maybe RED invented their own chart? 

Interesting... I noticed if you search for Red DR tests similar looking images come back on Google for all their cameras.  So you might be right that they’re using their own chart.