RED Komodo

nathlas

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, androidlad said:

Just dropping this here with all the R5 buzz:

RED Komodo sensor was co-designed with and manufactured by Canon, it's literally an APS-Cish crop of the full frame sensor on R5.

Do you know HOW exactly Canon suddenly became a protagonist in sensor manufacturing? Did they just open a new facility, or what?

Do you believe they had any help from Samsung or someone more experienced?

On 4/25/2020 at 4:47 AM, Patrick B. said:

That’s very interesting and explains the whole RF mount and PDAF even more. 

And Canon battery usage as well.

I notice that Canon released C300 III with an EF mount not a RF .

They would obviously see the Komodo's chance in market before they abandon the popular EF mount.

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

E-mount is pretty shallow too and they still have physical ND on FS5/FS7

Not mention the JVC LS300 and Panasonic AF100 with their MFT Mount and NDs. 
Plus the Sony F3/F55/F5 with their FZ Mount and NDs.

It was a simple design decision on the C300 Mark III. They've kept the EF mount because of compatibility, all the glass obtained and used for any Canon cinema camera fits on these new models from the get go and it can be swapped out for PL as well. They also don't have to re-engineer anything on the camera for the new RF platform, it saves costs, enables them to improve other areas.

In their first cinema-related RF mount camera, they will probably make something smaller and more modular, to sell their V-ND EF RF adapter instead of having internal ND at a higher price. That could wait until the next generation, maybe then they will switch to the electronic variable ND as well, since they do have a patent for it.

• Administrators
On 4/25/2020 at 11:37 AM, Kisaha said:

Do you know HOW exactly Canon suddenly became a protagonist in sensor manufacturing? Did they just open a new facility, or what?

Canon practically pioneered large CMOS sensor manufacturing.

They did not suddenly become a cutting edge sensor manufacturer!!

It's just that they have been sleeping whilst they upgrade the facilities.

New factories in Taiwan.

New fabs capable of more modern designs.

It is a major advantage they have over the competition.

Everyone else has to buy Sony sensors!

Canon make their own and always have.

On 4/25/2020 at 12:08 AM, androidlad said:

Just dropping this here with all the R5 buzz:

RED Komodo sensor was co-designed with and manufactured by Canon, it's literally an APS-Cish crop of the full frame sensor on R5.

Compressed RAW internal on Canon DSLRs.

RED with EOS R lens mount.

A sensor supply.

What next. Canon buys RED outright?!

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Compressed RAW internal on Canon DSLRs.

RED with EOS R lens mount.

A sensor supply.

What next. Canon buys RED outright?!

I think they are on their way towards a Panasonic and Leica style association.

45 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, Sigma's lenses are the bulk of what they bring to the table. But I reckon the niche cameras Sigma puts out (such as the Sigma fp) adds an extra "something" to the L Mount Alliance, an extra arrow to their quiver. 

Do not see much traction, to be honest, and fp is lesser than we first thought..BM sold an incredible amount of Pocket cameras the last couple of years, seem like they have a more profitable plan in their minds.

The Canon alone with their new proucts will sell more than any L alliance and I am curious to see the new alliences forming (Canon + Red? why not..).

• Super Members
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Who will be their Sigma??

Z Cam????? I dunno

I think Canon will be quite happy to be their own Sigma when it comes to their lenses.

31 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Do not see much traction, to be honest, and fp is lesser than we first thought..

My fp is pretty much exactly what I thought it was going to be, which is a full frame version of the original Pocket.

It is one firmware update and one price cut away from being a wider hit ;)

• Administrators
5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think they are on their way towards a Panasonic and Leica style association.

Could be, something is going on!

Question is why would Canon do it, what's in it for them? They are fierce competitors with Cinema EOS vs RED digital cinema cameras.

• Super Members
8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Question is why would Canon do it, what's in it for them? They are fierce competitors with Cinema EOS vs RED digital cinema cameras.

I think having R3D compressed RAW could be a price worth paying to lose some of those battles at the higher end but enable them to win the war not only in the DSLR market but also the EOS300 and downwards cinema market.

I'm guessing its not beyond the bounds of possibility that their existing latter cinema cameras are not inhibited from a processing power point of view to do R3D compression but legally obviously they can't so if that is the case then the potential profits on offering this as a paid upgrade is pretty considerable.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering about this partnership as well.  My first guess was Canon wanted to have compressed raw, but then again if that’s true they aren’t implementing a very high compression ratio that would make sense in a prosumer camera.

As far as competition on the camera body front goes, I had heard once that companies made most of their money on their lenses and wondered if that’s what they are most interested in selling.  Any truth to that?  Maybe they see the Komodo as a way to sell more RF lenses and better establish it.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think having R3D compressed RAW could be a price worth paying to lose some of those battles at the higher end but enable them to win the war not only in the DSLR market but also the EOS300 and downwards cinema market.

I'm guessing its not beyond the bounds of possibility that their existing latter cinema cameras are not inhibited from a processing power point of view to do R3D compression but legally obviously they can't so if that is the case then the potential profits on offering this as a paid upgrade is pretty considerable.

Yes plus they get to sell some EOS R lenses to RED users.

And I am sure there is profit in the sensor supply too.

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes plus they get to sell some EOS R lenses to RED users.

And I am sure there is profit in the sensor supply too.

And RED also get to include the phrase "NOW INCORPORATING CANON" in their marketing as we know they are very partial to military based allusions with their product styling ;)