Rode VideoMic NTG

Anaconda_

This was announced a few days ago, and I expected people here to get chatting, but since no-one's picked it up... This thing looks really good:

- Revolutionary acoustic design – delivers unmatched acoustic transparency and a natural, uncoloured sound similar to a broadcast shotgun mic.

- Unique infinitely variable gain control allows you to precisely match the mic's output to your recording device.

- Auto-sensing 3.5mm output intelligently switches between TRS and TRRS to accommodate both cameras and mobile devices.

- USB output – the VideoMic NTG is also a fully-featured USB mic!

- Headphone output for seamless audio monitoring when using the USB output.

- Digital switching for high-pass filter, pad, high frequency boost, and safety channel.

- dB peak warning light.

- Auto-power function switches the mic on/off with your recording device.

- In-built rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides 30+ hours of use.

- Lightweight (just 94g) and rugged.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

This was announced a few days ago, and I expected people here to get chatting, but since no-one's picked it up... This thing looks really good:

- Revolutionary acoustic design – delivers unmatched acoustic transparency and a natural, uncoloured sound similar to a broadcast shotgun mic.

- Unique infinitely variable gain control allows you to precisely match the mic's output to your recording device.

- Auto-sensing 3.5mm output intelligently switches between TRS and TRRS to accommodate both cameras and mobile devices.

- USB output – the VideoMic NTG is also a fully-featured USB mic!

- Headphone output for seamless audio monitoring when using the USB output.

- Digital switching for high-pass filter, pad, high frequency boost, and safety channel.

- dB peak warning light.

- Auto-power function switches the mic on/off with your recording device.

- In-built rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides 30+ hours of use.

- Lightweight (just 94g) and rugged.

Looks like a great value mic that would find a home doing something just about anywhere.

Putting it in my list. I’m sure the sound performance is good.

"- Revolutionary acoustic design – delivers unmatched acoustic transparency and a natural, uncoloured sound similar to a broadcast shotgun mic."

So why do they still sell their other NTG microphones? This is an exaggeration for sure.

This is clearly competing against newer Deity and Azden on camera mics, do not see many of us sell our Sennheiser/Sanken/DPA/Shoeps microphones for this.

I still believe the MKE440 is the best on camera solution, directional stereo is the best idea. I also expect my Sanken CS-M1 on the Cosi to be a lot better in every aspect (sound quality and characteristics and wind and handling protection) and that is really a boom-able solution.

Certainly seems like  the best on camera mic Rode has to offer, but that doesn't mean their older designs were very good. In all my years in video productions and 20 years as a soundman, I only owned the micro and I recently bought the NT-SF1 from Rode.

It is good that there are a lot more new audio products in the market, I just hope some young people will educate more themselves into sound production.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

"- Revolutionary acoustic design – delivers unmatched acoustic transparency and a natural, uncoloured sound similar to a broadcast shotgun mic."

So why do they still sell their other NTG microphones? This is an exaggeration for sure.

This is clearly competing against newer Deity and Azden on camera mics, do not see many of us sell our Sennheiser/Sanken/DPA/Shoeps microphones for this.

I still believe the MKE440 is the best on camera solution, directional stereo is the best idea. I also expect my Sanken CS-M1 on the Cosi to be a lot better in every aspect (sound quality and characteristics and wind and handling protection) and that is really a boom-able solution.

Certainly seems like  the best on camera mic Rode has to offer, but that doesn't mean their older designs were very good. In all my years in video productions and 20 years as a soundman, I only owned the micro and I recently bought the NT-SF1 from Rode.

It is good that there are a lot more new audio products in the market, I just hope some young people will educate more themselves into sound production.

Recently sold my MKE 600 so now my only serious mic is the AT875R. 

I would love a Sanken CSm1, perfect form factor for my fs5. Just a bit to steep in price for me so i'm looking mostly at the Deity S Mic 2s. 

44 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Recently sold my MKE 600 so now my only serious mic is the AT875R. 

I would love a Sanken CSm1, perfect form factor for my fs5. Just a bit to steep in price for me so i'm looking mostly at the Deity S Mic 2s. 

It is good that we have so many options these days.

Why you sold the 600? I do not see the Deity as a serious upgrade,very different mics anyway.

The Sanken is the feel good hit of 2019 for me. So practical and good performing that it has canceled most of my mics that I had to sell a couple already.

I do a (TV) prime time comedy right now and it is used like 80% of the time, it is that good. 

Balance your budget carefully and you may find room for a better mic.

Money spend on sound are money well spend. A good sounding microphone now, will be a good sounding microphone in 20 or 30 years, and there are no new mounts or better focusing systems to render them obsolete! It is no coincidence that most of us soundies keep an 416 with us all the time, a design of late 60s, that will work no matter what, when other more natural sounding but more delicate mics can fail. I know some people still using their 70's 416 T-12V!

Another thing is wind protection, that is may more important than the mic itself if you shoot outside! I would prefer a 500$ microphone on a Cosi, than a 1500$ microphone on a foam and fur setup!

So, I would strongly recommend the Cinela Cosi, check the video when they use it with the GH5, this is the Cosi Medium which is the right one for the Sanken.

the best production sound source on the internet right now, hear it from a real working professional with some experience on his shoulders.

My opinion is, either go really cheap, because it doesn't really matter and if one cares for sound can find other ways to improve its game (e.g put a microphone like the 600 on a stand where it matters more), or spend more and get something that will not change next year.

7 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

It is good that we have so many options these days.

Why you sold the 600? I do not see the Deity as a serious upgrade,very different mics anyway.

The Sanken is the feel good hit of 2019 for me. So practical and good performing that it has canceled most of my mics that I had to sell a couple already.

I do a (TV) prime time comedy right now and it is used like 80% of the time, it is that good. 

Balance your budget carefully and you may find room for a better mic.

Money spend on sound are money well spend. A good sounding microphone now, will be a good sounding microphone in 20 or 30 years, and there are no new mounts or better focusing systems to render them obsolete! It is no coincidence that most of us soundies keep an 416 with us all the time, a design of late 60s, that will work no matter what, when other more natural sounding but more delicate mics can fail. I know some people still using their 70's 416 T-12V!

I would like some thing that's bullet proof, the Smic 2s is built like 416. And I really only used the MKE 600 for voiceover its was just to long for my ENG style setup. 

I like how the DPA 4060 sounds but the Cos 11 also sounds good and happens to be of a tougher build. I work in sports where there are zero do overs, so its nice to having gear that's built tough. I don't mic players enough to warrant spending that kinda cash on a lav so my countryman B3 will have to do for now. 

41 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

I would like some thing that's bullet proof, the Smic 2s is built like 416. And I really only used the MKE 600 for voiceover its was just to long for my ENG style setup. 

I like how the DPA 4060 sounds but the Cos 11 also sounds good and happens to be of a tougher build. I work in sports where there are zero do overs, so its nice to having gear that's built tough. I don't mic players enough to warrant spending that kinda cash on a lav so my countryman B3 will have to do for now. 

That is false. 416 is an RF condenser, the only cheaper mic "build like 416" is the NTG3, all else are marketing nonsense. Deity just put some glue on  the electronics!

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/tag/rf-condenser

I own the DPA 6060, how they sound for the size is just amazing! Countryman are very good also, no need for extra cash there.

If it has better sound than the current Videomic Pro and the Deity D3 Pro it’s a win in my book and is worth the $230 they are charging for it.

Criticizing the product for not being pro when as a audio pro you KNOW exactly what quality you need, is a bit weird.

Cheap mics are anything below $1000 basically. 

I have a feeling Curtis’ Review will be positive and a highly recommended buy for people with a $300 budget.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:55 AM, Anaconda_ said:

This was announced a few days ago, and I expected people here to get chatting

Because they're copying the Deity V Mic D3 Pro but at a higher price? 

It is hard to not look at the Rode and be struck by the similarity, they definitely must've used the Deity as inspiration. 

On 11/23/2019 at 7:46 PM, Kisaha said:

I recently bought the NT-SF1 from Rode.

Ohhhhh... I want to hear more!

On 11/23/2019 at 7:46 PM, Kisaha said:

So why do they still sell their other NTG microphones?

Why do manufacturers make lenses in more than one focal length?

On 11/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, Kisaha said:

Money spend on sound are money well spend. A good sounding microphone now, will be a good sounding microphone in 20 or 30 years, and there are no new mounts or better focusing systems to render them obsolete! 

Maaaaybe many decades into the future we might see a change, like we've had with the change over from T Power to Phantom Powering. 

But I'm sure if that happens, there will be easy to use adapters / conversions done. 

On 11/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, Kisaha said:

I know some people still using their 70's 416 T-12V!

Exactly what I mean!
(btw, the 416 design is even older than you think....   as wasn't the 415T from the 1950's?)

• 8 months later...

I use the VideoMic NTG pretty much every day. It's just soooo convenient. Plug it in via USB and you have a perfect computer microphone. When you are using it via 3.5mm it turns on/off automatically, and whenever i mess up the levels, the safety track has got me covered.

The noise floor might not be best in class, but those quality of life features have saved me several times 

On 8/23/2020 at 1:46 AM, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Plug it in via USB and you have a perfect computer microphone.

I have found the output on the mic quite through my headphone as a USB mic on the Mac. Will need to play with the settings to see if I can increase the volume. 

4 hours ago, thefactory said:

I have found the output on the mic quite through my headphone as a USB mic on the Mac. Will need to play with the settings to see if I can increase the volume. 

Do you mean you hear yourself in your headphones when you use the mic? I have this situation in Premiere (probably just a setting) but not when I use it in Teams/Zoom. One odd thing is that the mic seems to ignore the physical volume control when used as a USB microphone, so I guess it adjust the levels automatically?