Pelican case repair

newfoundmass

So I picked up a 1560 Pelican case for dirt cheap after having used an off brand version. It was used to store computers, but I'd like to use it to store video equipment. 

It's in really good condition, the problem is the case has been modified with five holes, two for power cables and three for ethernet cables. Does anyone have any experience with patching holes in Pelican cases? I'm not too concerned about making them submerge proof, but I'd like to make them as water resistant as possible. 

Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated! 

20191121_223442.jpg

20191121_223750.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Definitely something that it 2-part so that it's curing to form a strong bond.  

You could also try doing a double layer where you cut out things that will fit in flush (glued with epoxy) and then sand them flat and epoxy on patches over the top of that.  Then it's two glue-ups that are protecting it rather than one.

What would you recommend I cut? Maybe PVC? Another friend also suggested that foam insolation that expands, and then sand it down before adding a layer of Epoxy. Another one suggested filling the hole with Epoxy, sanding it down, and then adding another layer or two of Epoxy. 

As long as it's water resistant I'll be happy! 

I'd suggest trying to get a material that has roughly the same properties as what the case is made of. It should be easily googlable and likely you can buy it in a hobby shop or ebay.

The point of that is partly that Pelican would have chosen a well suited material, but also you want something that is as similar as possible so that it expands and contracts the same when heating up and cooling down and is a bit flexible if dropped etc.

I'm not sure about expanding foam or just using epoxy but if they've got the right properties then go for it.  I'd imagine there'd be lots online about it.

No need to overthink this patching job.  Get some PC-7 or plumber's epoxy and try it on a hole.  If it needs reinforcing, drill it out and try it again with reinforcement.

Plumber's epoxy is more of a hard putty, so it will hold it's shape when curing (which only takes around 5 minutes).

Don't use an epoxy that doesn't bond with the case material (polypropylene).  PC-7 adheres to a lot of materials, but not polypropylene.

J-B Weld epoxy is good, but it is more like a liquid than a hard putty.  I don't know much about J-B Welder Plastic Bonder, but I read that it work on polypropylene.  If it is not as strong as (or more brittle than) PC-7, J-B Weld or plumbers epoxy, perhaps the J-B Weld Bonder could be used just to coat the areas on the Pelican case that you wish to adhere the stronger epoxy.  Sand the J-B Weld Bonder after it has cured to create rough texture for the stronger epoxy.

I've filled the holes with Plumbers Epoxy Putty and am gonna sand it down. I'm thinking of then doing a layer or two of JB Weld. The putty seems to have attached itself, since I sanded and prepped the area, and I've taken a hammer and hit it, and it seems to be holding. So I'm thinking, at worst, that'll fill the holes and then the JB Weld can coat and reinforce it. ??