Fast Action Low Light - Fuji XT3

Mackeral_Fillet

Hi. 

Looking for some help for an upcoming project. 

What would be the ideal setting / profile for my XT3 for some low light (covered forest) and mixed lighting with harsh contrast MTB action footage?

Im filming in 4K 30 and will try using a 90 degree shutter, as my previous results at 180 degree were quite blurred frames with the bike movement  

Would it be better to film in FLOG to my Ninja V or use a baked in profile like Eterna? Looking for best dynamic range  

I have 18-55, 16mm F1.4, 50mm F 2.0, Atomos Ninja V and Ronin SC to use  
here’s an ideas of a (big budget cinema cam) look: 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Try 4k 60p if you really want to get the action. Flog will give you the most dynamic range. If you are gonna do a lot of color grading the Ninja V would be good to get that 4k 60p 10 bit. But 8 bit is honestly fine as well. 

The XT3 shoots 4k60 internally at 10 bit as well.

But i agree, shoot 60p. I prefer HLG personally.

8 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

The XT3 shoots 4k60 internally at 10 bit as well.

But i agree, shoot 60p. I prefer HLG personally.

shoot I forgot, nevermind

32 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

I don't know if the dynamic range advantage F-log will give you, would compensate for your hard time to focus manually/properly. 

what do you mean about manual focus?

1 minute ago, Mackeral_Fillet said:

Thanks all,

Would 60p make much difference if even if i'm conforming to 30p on the timeline? So not slowing down by 50%?

Yeah its still definitely noticeable. 

23 minutes ago, Mackeral_Fillet said:

Thanks all,

Would 60p make much difference if even if i'm conforming to 30p on the timeline? So not slowing down by 50%?

The difference would mainly be down to your shutter speed. Eg if you shoot 60p with a 1/60 shutter, converting to 30p will be pretty similar to shooting 30p with a 1/60 shutter. That is assuming your software drops every other frame instead of attempting to blend or interpolate stuff, which will look wonky.

A good compromise imo is shooting 4k60 with like a 1/100 shutter. If you slow it down you get slightly more motion blur than normal, and if you speed if up it's just a little choppier.

53 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

The difference would mainly be down to your shutter speed. Eg if you shoot 60p with a 1/60 shutter, converting to 30p will be pretty similar to shooting 30p with a 1/60 shutter. That is assuming your software drops every other frame instead of attempting to blend or interpolate stuff, which will look wonky.

A good compromise imo is shooting 4k60 with like a 1/100 shutter. If you slow it down you get slightly more motion blur than normal, and if you speed if up it's just a little choppier.

Ok thanks. I won’t be speeding up or slowing it down, so not too sure the benefits of shooting 4K 60? I will be loosing light due to higher frame rate also?

Unless I’m missing some other benefit of shooting 60p

52 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Seriously for this kind of shoots, X-T3 would be a B-cam, the size and weight of a rig are just unrealistic for dynamic follow shots.

A-cam would be a GoPro and a drone.

I will have a second camera / drone operator trail side. 

6 minutes ago, Mackeral_Fillet said:

Ok thanks. I won’t be speeding up or slowing it down, so not too sure the benefits of shooting 4K 60? I will be loosing light due to higher frame rate also?

Unless I’m missing some other benefit of shooting 60p

If you are sure you wont be slowing it down, then shoot in the frame rate you will display at.

Light loss is dependant on shutter speed also. So 60p with 1/60 will be identical exposure to 30p with 1/60. On many cameras higher frame rates are lower quality due to binning, compression, or different sensor readout. 60p has no advantage if you are just going to convert to a lower frame rate.