Nikon Z6 - Panasonic GH5 match + audio info

Aquilasfx

Hello,

I-m going to use the first time these two cameras together for a work.

I currently used GH5+v-log+ghalexv3, I would like to match as possible the footage with my new Nikon Z6+Atomos ninja V.

I'm going to use 4k 25p in GH5 and v-log. What setting I have to use for Nikon? 4k 25p N-log on Atomos?

Another doubt about the audio record, I currently use a Zoom H5 with cavalier for interviews, connecting line-out of the zoom to my GH5 mic out (setting mic level adjustment -12db). What setting I have to use on my Nikon Z6 to put zoom audio to the video? Do you think that I have to set in Z6 /microphone sensitivity to 1 (the lowest possible)? Does the HDMI output this audio to atomos? It's better if I connect straight the zoom to the atomos mic/line)? What about the lag?

thanks in advantage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My advice is to shoot a test first, and include each profile from the Z6 then match the images in post and see how you go with each profile and which one works best for you.

In theory anything can be matched with anything else, but in practice that's limited by the skill of the colourist, the tools available and how close a match is required.

This isn't the most sophisticated approach but it will get you into the ballpark and it only relies on basic tools that most NLEs will have..

Yes, a colour checker is useful, but if you're very budget constrained then you can make your own "unofficial" one from paint colour samples from a hardware store.

It won't be an absolute reference (but neither will the cheap ones available commercially) but it will help to match shots between different cameras.

5 minutes ago, kye said:

Yes, a colour checker is useful, but if you're very budget constrained then you can make your own "unofficial" one from paint colour samples from a hardware store.

It won't be an absolute reference (but neither will the cheap ones available commercially) but it will help to match shots between different cameras.

21 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Getting a color checker card is also a pretty good idea. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465286-REG

Here is a lower budget option too:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/mhCyrS92

Yes, I have xritevcolor checker, only used in the past for pictures, using it at the beginning of each session could help? Any specific advise to use in davinci?

what about the audio with zoom recorder?

26 minutes ago, Aquilasfx said:

Yes, I have xritevcolor checker, only used in the past for pictures, using it at the beginning of each session could help? Any specific advise to use in davinci?

Yes. In Resolve you can then use it to help better match your colors. YouTube "x-rite Davinci resolve" and you'll get a bunch of tutorials. It's pretty easy and works really well. You might need to tweak it a little bit but you'll definitely be in the ballpark. You just wanna use it at the beginning or end of each change in scene/lighting, that way you can match them. 

The Z6 should output the Zoom audio over HDMI, just as if you were using a mic, though I've never done it with the Z6. But it's worked like that for every camera I've ever used. The Atomos should record whatever the camera outputs. :)

7 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Yes. In Resolve you can then use it to help better match your colors. YouTube "x-rite Davinci resolve" and you'll get a bunch of tutorials. It's pretty easy and works really well. You might need to tweak it a little bit but you'll definitely be in the ballpark. You just wanna use it at the beginning or end of each change in scene/lighting, that way you can match them. 

The Z6 should output the Zoom audio over HDMI, just as if you were using a mic, though I've never done it with the Z6. But it's worked like that for every camera I've ever used. The Atomos should record whatever the camera outputs. :)

Thank you!

and what about this:

Do you think that I have to set in Z6 /microphone sensitivity to 1 (the lowest possible)? In GH5 I used to put microphone sensitivity to -12dB

It's better if I connect straight the zoom to the atomos mic/line)? What about the lag?

Just now, Aquilasfx said:

Thank you!

and what about this:

Do you think that I have to set in Z6 /microphone sensitivity to 1 (the lowest possible)? In GH5 I used to put microphone sensitivity to -12dB

It's better if I connect straight the zoom to the atomos mic/line)? What about the lag?

You're very welcome! You'll want to test your audio levels but the Zoom should be able to do the heavy lifting, allowing you to lower the Z6's levels all the way down. 

I'm not completely sure about lag, but I'd GUESS that the Atomos accommodates for the lag. I personally would input the audio into the camera, since that's what I've always done in similar situations. 

Hey @IronFilm & @BTM_Pix, do you guys have any thoughts? 

• Super Members
6 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

You're very welcome! You'll want to test your audio levels but the Zoom should be able to do the heavy lifting, allowing you to lower the Z6's levels all the way down. 

I'm not completely sure about lag, but I'd GUESS that the Atomos accommodates for the lag. I personally would input the audio into the camera, since that's what I've always done in similar situations. 

Hey @IronFilm & @BTM_Pix, do you guys have any thoughts? 

I haven't got a Z6 but looking at the manual, there is an additional attenuator function if you can't get the line level signal low enough with setting the gain to 1.

I don't know whether the H5 can generate a test tone but if not you can use a site such as this to generate a wav file that you can play out on it to calibrate the level on the Z6. And the GH5 for that matter.

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiofrequencysignalgenerator_sinetone.php

With regard to the Ninja V, it can record whatever is coming through the HDMI or through its own 3.5mm input. 

To make sure that any delay is constant, I would record what's coming through HDMI from the Z6 rather than putting the H5 output into the Ninja V directly. It will likely compensate if you did connect it directly to the Ninja V but its adding a potential variable that isn't worth having as I'm presuming your master audio in the edit will be from the H5 anyway and you will be post syncing so its best to guarantee that you are keeping the reference audio from the Z6 in sync with itself.

More broadly speaking though, if you are going to be doing these two camera shoots a lot then if it was me then I'd look at investing in a timecode solution (if for nothing else than reducing your cabling ;) )

Atomos are finally about to release the AtomX sync module for the Ninja V and this would let you set up a very effective wireless timecode network with a couple of Timecode Systems Ultra Sync One units attached to the GH5 and your H5. As Atomos have also just bought the Timecode Systems company, the compatibility should at least not be an issue between the products !

The total cost would average out about £200 a unit but as I say, if you are doing this a lot then thats a small price over the long term for the reduction in hassle during and after shooting.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/11/14/atomos-atomx-sync-first-look/