Are there any fast pancake emount lenses similar to the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7?

andrgl

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
5 minutes ago, andrgl said:

Are f/2.8 pancakes really the fastest available for emount?

Panasonic 20mm f1.7 would be like a 25mm f/2 equivalent.

If you are talking about for APS-C and don't mind manual focus then the 7Artisans 25mm f1.8 or Meike 25mm f1.8 are both pretty compact.

Pretty compact price too.

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, andrgl said:

Thanks @BTM_Pix, shame they are manual focus, need to take pictures with the a6500.

Its a step up in price but Sony's own 28mm f2 might be an option.

Its more of a soufflé than a pancake but it doesn't look too unwieldy on the A6500

Its full frame as well so a bit more versatile if you change to an A7xx 

Decent run through of it here with the A6500.

Doesn't Sigma offer an 19mm 30mm and another one short-ish option?

Samsung thought it right back in the day. Incredible 10mm fisheye and 30mm 2f and very good 16 and 20mm very small and very reliable pancakes.

Still use an old NX3000 and an NX500 with those, when the NX system started everybody were complaining about the lenses, finally, it was their main strength. One can argue that except AF, NX500 is a better camera than any a6xxx.

I know very little about optical design, but one trend I've noticed with all the old manual lenses I've bought is that a larger aperture means a significantly longer lens.

The MFT pancake lenses are tiny but also have smaller apertures, so, all else being equal, going to a larger sensor size would have a big impact on lens physical size, I think.

4 hours ago, kye said:

I know very little about optical design, but one trend I've noticed with all the old manual lenses I've bought is that a larger aperture means a significantly longer lens.

The MFT pancake lenses are tiny but also have smaller apertures, so, all else being equal, going to a larger sensor size would have a big impact on lens physical size, I think.

Actually, the NX30mm 2f seems to be smaller at 61.5X21.5mm (and 85gr)than the 63X25.5mm (and 100gr) of the Lumix and quite fast at 2f. Canon EF-M 22mm is 60,9X23,7mm 105gr.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/camera-lenses/30mm-f2-0-pancake-lens/