Canon announce 35mm full frame 4K DSLR!!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/canon-4k-cinema-eos-dslr.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e024803cf0aa"]This is not a rumour.[/url]

DSLRs dead for motion? Think again.

Canon have just announced they have a 4K Cinema EOS DSLR in production, seemingly based on the 1D X. It records 4K over an APS-H sized area of the full frame 35mm sensor. Read the full press release…

[url="/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest gene_can_sing
[html]

This is awesome. I just hope the final version is a bit smaller and not the 1D sized body. The 5D body size is perfect. Not too large, not too small. Just make it 4:2:2 and I will be very happy. Mirrorless will be nice also. And hopefully with 1080p 60fps. I just hope it comes out relatively soon.

[/html]

Guest matt2491
[html]

I just died.

Talk about releasing the floodgates after years of neglect from Canon! New cameras, new lenses tailored for cinema! Oh my!

[/html]

Guest Simco123
[html]

Canon need to price this competitively. If it is too high people will go eleswhere. 4k/24p video is the new video standard for interchangeable lens camera and we will see a lot of from next year. I certainly expect it in the next GH3.

[/html]

[html]

Man, did you see the prices for the Cine Zooms they announced? $45-47,000 USD! WOW! That’s almost twice the price of Arri Master Primes! OUCH!

[/html]

[html]

master primes are 17500€ a piece and you need at least 5-6 of them to be well equipped…
so the canon zoom is half the price of master primes…. in a way….
a 24-290 angenieux optimo is around 55k€, so the canon is a real bargain [img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img] although not starting at 24 (big minus!) and not holding 2,8 like the angenieux…

[/html]

Guest lunelson
[html]

I suspect that without directly saying so this is their answer to the question of 5dmk3 (it has been whispered that there will never be a 5dmk3), and also that perhaps this “4K” figure is similar to what they are quoting on the C300, which is to say: double the res of HD 1080p, and not actually recording a 4k moving image, but using 4k for the sampling the 1080p image. That being said I think it is going to be a major leap forward over the 5dmk2, obviously. Question will be: can we get our hands on it for the same ballpark as we currently get the 5d?

[/html]

• 6 years later...

Interesting articles @webrunner5.  It seems that in this market, if you want something in DSLR form-factor then there is nothing that has all the features you want - every camera has real weaknesses.  I'm guessing that Canon and Nikon will release things that are news-worthy, but I suspect the best we can hope for is another camera or two that have different weaknesses.

I'm hoping for one that has strengths and weaknesses that align with my style of shooting but I wouldn't bet on it!!

2 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Is the C700 FF not worthy of a thread?

Most cameras covered here on EOSHD are for people that own their own gear on a tight budget and want to do as much as they can with cheap stuff.  Pro cams like a C700FF are nice and all, but not the vibe of the website.  

It's confusing since the site is branded with "EOS," but that's a legacy quirk from the halcyon and heady Canon 5DII days.

(woa, 10 years ago now)

This site evolved with the market, while Canon somewhat abandoned low-end video.  So, you have a website with a name that doesn't really jibe anymore, but that's the way it goes sometimes.  

4 hours ago, kye said:

Interesting articles @webrunner5.  It seems that in this market, if you want something in DSLR form-factor then there is nothing that has all the features you want - every camera has real weaknesses.  I'm guessing that Canon and Nikon will release things that are news-worthy, but I suspect the best we can hope for is another camera or two that have different weaknesses.

I'm hoping for one that has strengths and weaknesses that align with my style of shooting but I wouldn't bet on it!!

I would be amazed if Canon came out with a new Mirrorless that had guns a blazing. I think it will be like the article says, a A7 mk III type camera, not a A9 beater. I believe Nikon might actually come out with a D850 Mirrorless and maybe really have a great product, no holds barred.

18 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would be amazed if Canon came out with a new Mirrorless that had guns a blazing. I think it will be like the article says, a A7 mk III type camera, not a A9 beater. I believe Nikon might actually come out with a D850 Mirrorless and maybe really have a great product, no holds barred.

An A7III type camera from Canon that had a good codecs, DPAF, canon colours and reliability, and had 1080 that was downscaled instead of upscaled would be a win for me!

• Administrators

I think Nikon might shade Canon with the generation 1 high-end mirrorless, as Sony sensors are far ahead... especially for video.

Canon can't even do a full frame pixel readout on the 1D X Mark II.

So their mirrorless camera will likely be APS-C for 4K at best.