Apple releases 16 in MacBook Pro with better thermals!

Shell64

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

I guess I'm in the minority on the forum enjoying Apple. 

When I have to take out my wallet, being on mac sucks, but it's worth it just to be able to use FCPX and avoid Premiere. Maybe one day I'll have the time to learn Resolve for anything besides color and consider Windows then... 

Nahhh just kidding I'm a fanboy I'll never leave.

Don't get me wrong, i am enjoying the platform too. My iMacs have been real workhorses and FCPX is a gem. 

But when you get into a situation similar to the one i described above you are forced to reconsider the real value of these products, especially the hardware part.

Imagine paying 4500$ from your hard earned money for a laptop and then plugging in your earphones to avoid listening to the 2000 pops that will be produced during an editing session. Then imagine claiming your customer rights from a company that like @kaylee said above "doesn't talk about it". 

Also, the customer support in USA is way better than here in Europe. 

I had a top spec'ed 17" MBP that after two years started to show glitches on the screen and eventually failed. Gpu issues. Almost out of warranty. Later Apple acknowledged a production run glitch that affected a 'few' and ended up  producing a new batch of motherboards (no used parts) and free reparation (so even if under 1% were affected we are still speaking about  thousands of units). All great. But I had the MBP shelved for almost two years before it could be used again. Being quite outdated when it was working again.

That being said. Dealing directly with Apple regarding warranty issues etc for 15+ years I find the services and support great. However getting Applecare for portable devices is recommended  -> Apple are more flexible if shit happens. 

I am not sure how say Dell or HP are dealing with these type of issues nowadays. Some companies have more bad stories than others I suppose. But all have some. Some strives more to make things right in the end.

Leasing/renting the gear can also help minimising that these issues falls back on yourself

I have both Macs and Pcs in the studio.  That will not change.
The latest MBP seems like a nice laptop. But I will probably let others do the benchmarking and stress-tests to se how it fairs with throttling before buying.
The new Mac Pro is also around the corner. Curios to see how it fairs too.

• 2 weeks later...

look: not to shame anyone but i SUCK at the super technical side of this stuff, and I JUST MADE MY 2nd SHORT FILM 100% in resolve, i swear ITS NOT THAT HARD lolol

im living proof!

just try a lil project with resolve as an editor, use the color tab a little, and go from there!

fairlight (for audio) is easy and powerful!

give it a shot!! u DONT have to be a fusion vfx master to get started!! ???

On 11/16/2019 at 12:53 PM, Paul Jonathan said:

Anyone here have the new 16" MBP already? Could you run the Blackmagic RAW Speed Test and post your results together with your configuration here? Would be super helpful in making an informed purchasing decision.

im also interested in who actually has one of these, im thinking abt picking one up

Hi guys, i will repeat my self once again just to make sure that you have been warned about this.

Three out of four 16 inch units are producing pop sounds through their speakers during media playback.

I have a 2019 15 inch model and it does this too, but the 16 inch models are producing louder pop sounds due to the new speaker design.

This is by 90% a software issue but it's not known when and "if" Apple will resolve this through a software update. So maybe you should wait for a couple of months.

If you are ready to spend 3000$ on one of those units, please take some time to read my thread on Apple's site before stepping in an Apple store:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250758649?answerId=251719472022&page=1

I opened the above thread regarding my 15 inch unit's problem but many early adopters of the 16 inch laptop came in to report the same issue. 

I have uploaded 2 videos on YT demonstrating the issue. You will find the links there (there are 4 pages, read them all). In the second video you will see that during an editing session inside FCPX you will hear thousands of pops by just skimming through your media. There is a workaround but it will drain your battery faster.

Dimitris, there seems to a simple software fix posted on the Macrumors forum, did that work for you?

On YouTube someone has found a temporary fix until Apple patches this issue. Its pretty simple - open QuickTime - Select 'New Audio Recording' from the File menu (you don't need to start the recording). Minimize QuickTime and the popping problem goes away in whatever application you're using.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/any-one-notices-the-cracking-popping-sound-of-new-16-inch-mbp.2211902/page-7?post=28012328#post-28012328

Purchased the base 16” model this weekend and coming from a mid 2012 retina as expected, I’m blown away! I purchased a Sony a6500 about 18 months ago and the 2012 even with transcoding, was not a smooth editing experience. The computer was simply too out of date. This new base 16” I’m happy to report is awesome. To be clear I shoot as a hobby and for my own creative projects. I uploaded about 5 minutes worth of slog2 h.264 4K footage to a 4K premiere pro timeline and I was able to breeze through the timeline with NO dropped frames. This included an adjustment layer with a lut. Performance is just a massive upgrade and I am happy!

1 hour ago, Paul Jonathan said:

Dimitris, there seems to a simple software fix posted on the Macrumors forum, did that work for you?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/any-one-notices-the-cracking-popping-sound-of-new-16-inch-mbp.2211902/page-7?post=28012328#post-28012328

Hi Paul. Yep this works on every affected unit. Actually what it does is keeping the internal audio interface in standby mode as the popping occurs due to aggressive switching. The only drawback of this workaround is that the battery life is affected as the switching was there in first place to prevent fast battery drain.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:11 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I think unless you literally have to do work in the field, rather than just would like the option to sit and edit video in Starbucks ;) , then the price of this thing would give me pause to consider the desktop option for the price/performance ratio but also the expandability.

I find that there is also a really important discipline aspect to it as well as with a desktop by you having to have it in a fixed place and I find that far more conducive to concentrated working when I have to go to a place with a desk and a chair. With a laptop you can sit on your arse on the couch in the living room and work but it quickly ends up being just the sitting on your arse on the couch part as you are in living room mode rather than workspace mode and lose concentration.

Its worth bearing in mind of course that if you did want to sit on your arse on the couch or edit in Starbucks then with a network/decent internet connection you can easily remote back to the mothership monster motherfucker beast desktop from a small laptop and have it do all the hard work. You can pick up a 2015 11" MacBook Air for less than £300 which is ideal for that role and many others.

The main point I'm getting round to though is that going back to working at a desk is a good move as we all need to buy these 32:9 monitors !

All that processing power counts for not a lot if you're spending most of your time scrolling and re-sizing.

Absolutely.  Better off getting a serious desktop and a cheap older laptop for checking footage and copying files in the field.

On 11/15/2019 at 11:22 AM, EthanAlexander said:

I guess I'm in the minority on the forum enjoying Apple. 

When I have to take out my wallet, being on mac sucks, but it's worth it just to be able to use FCPX and avoid Premiere. Maybe one day I'll have the time to learn Resolve for anything besides color and consider Windows then... 

Nahhh just kidding I'm a fanboy I'll never leave.

I'm enjoying Apple (most of the time) but also seem to have been lucky without getting hit with the "bugs that don't exist" that much.

When I did the Apple vs PC comparison in 2012 I learned two things:

• Every major piece of software I used was available in both platforms and it was the ecosystem that did it (there is no Apple messenger application for PC for example) and having full integration was of value to me
  • Everyone suggesting that Macs were reasonable computers discussed the pros and cons of buying a Mac vs a PC, and everyone suggesting you buy a PC suggested that you buy a PC because PC1 had a better screen and PC2 was cheaper and PC3 had more RAM and PC4 had a fancier touchpad (and it was buggy but the manufacturer is blaming the OS and the OS people are blaming the drivers, but it's all beta and will totally all be figured out by the time it is released!!).

I decided to buy a Mac partly because I couldn't find a level-headed person that realised I can't buy a PC with the screen from one manufacturer, the RAM from a different manufacturer, and the touchpad from a third for the price they're selling the fourth.  I don't know what it's like now, but the pro-PC media really had an emotional problem about the whole thing.

In terms of specs you pay more for Mac, but in normal usage the Mac makes better use of the hardware it has, even having major software packages run smoothly on the Mac that won't run on the PC with more RAM.  Video editing won't fit this pattern though because for the most part it's about sheer horsepower and has pretty good optimisation, in Resolve at least.

It's probably all changed now, but for video-first I'd buy a desktop PC and stuff it full of CPU / RAM and as many GPUs as I could fit into it :)

37 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Hi Paul. Yep this works on every affected unit. Actually what it does is keeping the internal audio interface in standby mode as the popping occurs due to aggressive switching. The only drawback of this workaround is that the battery life is affected as the switching was there in first place to prevent fast battery drain.

smh...once mine arrives i will test and possibly return if i have this issue.