Recorder for live production?

no_connection

We are kind of looking at the Atomos Ninja V, it have a lot of expansion available for lots of uses many of which we don't *need* atm. The ability to use it as a portable recorder it nice tho.

We currently run 720p50 for live video through atem 1 m/e so the actual demand is a bit different.

Do anyone have any ideas of a better recording solution at same or less price?

It probably have to be ssd based since SD card just don't work (learned that the hard way with BMD HyperDeck Studio Mini that simply refused to record)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I don't think you can go far wrong with the Ninja V in terms of what it offers you now and for future expansion.

If its just for what you need right now, records on SSD and is cheap then a used Hyperdeck Shuttle V2 would fit the bill and will usually run you between £120-£150. 

No screen of course and whilst its predominantly a studio device it does have an internal battery that can run it for about an hour and a half so it can be pressed into service as a field recorder.

A halfway house between the Shuttle V2 and the Ninja V, again for what you need now of doing 720p50, would be a used Atomos Ninja 2.

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, no_connection said:

Thanks I will look out and see if I can find any of those.

I don't know where you're based but CEX in the UK currently have one for £125.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=9338716001488a&categoryName=tv-media-players&superCatName=electronics&title=blackmagic-design-hyperdeck-shuttle-2-a

MPB are always a good source of used Atomos monitor/recorders.

They don't currently have a Ninja 2 but they have quite a few of the later Ninja Blades for a fair price, which will give you a slightly bigger screen and a bump in resolution over the Ninja 2.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-accessories/used-photo-and-video-accessories/used-other-photo-and-video-accessories/atomos-ninja-blade/sku-901933/

23 minutes ago, no_connection said:

On the note of Ninja V have anyone had any experience with the NDI addon? And would it support transferring files over it too?

The NDI add on is another Atomos product announcement that is still on the missing list unfortunately, which pisses me off because it was a contributory factor for me buying the Ninja V.

As was the ProResRAW function of it for the Z6, although I was at least cautious enough on that one not to have have held off buying the Z6 until the update actually landed.

The only one of the three AtomX modules that has made it out into the wild thus far is the SDI one, although I suspect the Timecode one might be appearing sooner rather than later now they've acquired the Timecode Systems company.

File transfer with the NDI module isn't currently listed as an option. 

No wonder I could not find any manual or info about it then, NDI sounds really interesting and although I have only played with it in OBS it seems to "just work". File transfer would make the Ninja V a lot more worth. But if they are not going to release it it does kinda put a damper on the enthusiasm or gas factor of it if you will.

I live in Sweden so within EU could work.

I have thought about doing some diy solution too with something like nVidia Jetson (just found out that was a thing) and a USB card or similar.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, no_connection said:

I have thought about doing some diy solution too with something like nVidia Jetson (just found out that was a thing) and a USB card or similar.

The Jetson Nano is probably overkill for what you need it for.

A company called Auvidea make an HDMI to CSI-2 interface that plugs into the camera port of the Raspberry Pi (even the Zero) to enable you to record up to 1080p25 on them.

The interface is around £55 but there are similar products available cheaper. With the Raspberry Pi 4 having USB3 ports you'll be able to setup a small SSD capable recorder with a 5 inch touchscreen for about £140-160.

Making your own solution also enables you to add additional functionality like auto file backup, upload to an ftp server etc etc

Pi 4 is only about half price to a Nano and the Nano seem to have nv encoder/decoder in HW and it has an M.2 slot from what I read.(although can't seem to find it in pics) I think someone is poking around with getting OBS running on one too.

Maybe I can use one for another project, need something to replace Qlab since the only mac mini we have left won't live forever.

• Super Members

The Pi has a hardware encoder/decoder too, albeit not at 4K.

There is no doubt that the extra £50-60 for the Jetson Nano will give you more scope to do more things both in the short and longer term, although the Pi4 has a newer, faster CPU the GPU in the Nano makes it a better package for a lot of applications.

The M.2 slot is actually an M.2 Key-E interface that is primarily intended to add a Wifi/Bluetooth interface which the basic unit lacks, unlike the Pi.

You can get adapter shields to enable you to add the drives though but its more cost and more form factor as well.

The community aspect of the Pi is obviously far more established so you'll find a ton of resources for it to do a myriad of different things and the drivers etc are more mature whereas with the Jetson Nano its very early days in comparison and most users of them (such as me ;) ) are using them for developing machine learning projects so you might not find as much experienced help for the Nano for your particular application.

Having said all that, because of the commonality of key parts such as the HDMI CSI converter, screens, drives etc then you won't lose out by going either route and then changing your mind and going the other way !

Comparison here between them for general use.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:44 AM, BTM_Pix said:

The only one of the three AtomX modules that has made it out into the wild thus far is the SDI one, although I suspect the Timecode one might be appearing sooner rather than later now they've acquired the Timecode Systems company.

Creeping closer to being shipping:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/11/14/atomos-atomx-sync-first-look/

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I saw the thread title, instantly thought "this is going to be an interesting thread...." 

*click*

Immediate disappointment as I realized we're not going to be talking about sound recorders.

I mean if you have a suggestion for a recorder that is easy to use, cheap(ish) and can take XLR and AES(from XLR) then that would be a useful thing to buy as well. Rack mount or portable could both work.

But since the video recording would handle audio as well coming through HDMI from the video mixer it would be used at the sound mixer for those times we don't do video.

• Super Members
59 minutes ago, no_connection said:

I mean if you have a suggestion for a recorder that is easy to use, cheap(ish) and can take XLR and AES(from XLR) then that would be a useful thing to buy as well. Rack mount or portable could both work.

But since the video recording would handle audio as well coming through HDMI from the video mixer it would be used at the sound mixer for those times we don't do video.

Its a tough ask these days finding one with AES3 but if you don't mind using a cheap adapter to get to SPDIF then there are a couple of Tascam options at not too horrendous a price.

The SS-R100 will give you the rack mount option for just under £400.

10180263_800.jpg.7950daa2a05feb9dc672ccc8d225446c.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tascam_ssr100.htm

If you want to save some money, have it double as a field recorder and actually get a higher spec on the recording front then you should be able to pick up a used HDP2 for about half that price. Its a bit of a dinosaur by modern field recording standards but it will get you that digital input that you need which the newer ones lack.

HDP2-large.jpg.c55c3cd1270de300a32d9c55ddf93972.jpg

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tascam-hdp2

16 hours ago, no_connection said:

Define "affordable"?

I reckon the Sound Devices 833 is pretty affordable.... ? At least I thought it was compared to the cost of a fully loaded Zaxcom Nova! :-o

But if  you want a truly dirt cheap field recorder which MUST have AES then a secondhand Roland R88 might be found for a song. 

Alternative a Zaxcom Maxx or Nomad can be found dirt cheap secondhand now that Nova is out. Ditto a Sound Devices 788T

• Super Members
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

It also doubles as a door stop! 

Shhh...I have one gathering dust in my storage locker doing just that and was hoping to offload it ;)

It cost me £15 at a computer fair about 8 years ago because the stall holder thought it was some sort of office dictaphone device.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, no_connection said:

We have a Dlive s7000 with the XLR AES being unused, would I need any adapter or can I just hook it up to spdif?

Might be a daft question but why don't you just use the USB audio recording option that the S7000 has built in to go straight out to a small SSD drive like a Samsung T5?

On 11/15/2019 at 9:30 PM, BTM_Pix said:

It cost me £15 at a computer fair about 8 years ago because the stall holder thought it was some sort of office dictaphone device.

damn, 8 years ago? You got a steal!

However now in nearly 2020.... I'd say £15 is fairly close to what it is worth :joy: