RED claim victory in Apple RAW patent battle

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

2661426925_0aab402d35_o.jpg

Jarred Land posted today on REDUser about REDCODE (RED’s compressed RAW codec) withstaning the patent challenge by Apple. Although the court documents haven’t been updated in public from what I can see, it does appears Cupertino have failed where Sony previously failed.

Now the stage is set for some negotiations, with RED being in pole position.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Apple is likely interested in acquiring RED for their hydrogen and raw patents as well as help for their new Apple TV+ service. Attacking the legitimacy of the patents is probably just part of their negotiating. I believe this will all be revealed around the nearing Mac Pro launch... including talks of how easy it is to playback 8K on it in real time, 

It’s odd - I get fanboy will be fanboys - but why is everyone on Facebook and reduser saying this is such great news? I mean even if you own a red, why wouldn’t you want to see compressed RAW in other products? Competition is a good thing and it gives consumers more choice. It’s like me celebrating that my S1H won a case that will allow them to be the only camera that can record to an SD card. Why would I celebrate that? 

Thats a damn shame, I was rooting for Apple.

15 minutes ago, crevice said:

It’s odd - I get fanboy will be fanboys - but why is everyone on Facebook and reduser saying this is such great news? I mean even if you own a red, why wouldn’t you want to see compressed RAW in other products? Competition is a good thing and it gives consumers more choice. It’s like me celebrating that my S1H won a case that will allow them to be the only camera that can record to an SD card. Why would I celebrate that? 

They are happy as it wont devalue their expensive purchases.

This doesn't mean others can't be followed and have a different result, though. As of today, good news for RED and to those who have invested big money and praise theirs. Not for many by all means : )

Diversity will always prevail anyway, there will always be place for everyone. It is like censorship, never lasts indefinitely in a way or another.

I’m unclear on how this doesn’t encompass BlackMagic’s BMRAW.... glad that it (apparently) doesn’t? But yeah. BMRAW REALLY needs to start permeating/spreading, or we’re screwed. There has to be viable competition, or the tech will remain artificially out of reach. 

All things considered, IMO RED has some borderline douchey business practices/models across the board. I don’t doubt the validity of their innovation in this instance, nor the right for them to do business as they see fit (or for people to buy into the hype), but it’s 110% not for me. I’ve worked RED footage in post, and believe me, the reason they’ve defended this tech tooth and nail is that it’s the only thing they have going. Any pro body sensor from the last 5 years would match or even obliterate what I saw out of the RED in terms of noise, sensitivity, dynamic range and color fidelity. That’s not to say the RED was bad... it was good footage, especially in compressed RAW. But ARRI still whoops their (and everyone else’s) butt up and down the street, even in ProRes. 

I really hope Kinefinity is joined in making RED-adjacent cameras, because there is an ergonomic sensibility to the brick/brain design. Even ARRI has been pushed into making the “mini” variants for this reason. I’d love to se a Panny EVA-2 with the S1H sensor, in a brick body, with BMRAW licensed under the hood.

6 hours ago, crevice said:

Because you're in a cult.

I'm happy to go with the sigma fp

And compress later on the computer with slimraw.

In a way it a good thing compressed raw is not coming so we have even beter quality with uncompressed.

The only thing I wish for was lossless compressed raw, and I don't think thats covered by the red patent.

I think the patent was about lossy compressed only.

1 hour ago, rawshooter said:

Unfortunately, not. The patent is about any form of compressed RAW.

Any decision is taken by men. On Apple's claim. As of now. That's it. Nothing more. Even Jarred's statement is very prudent and none of showing off other than their humble right to try their own property protection.

Okay, Common Law system where US realm is based means legal precedents to follow up further at a certain point later on.

But...

Which doesn't literally mean that any other compressed RAW cannot be taken as valid to coexist along RED's patents.

I guess it is only a matter of solid grounds and innovate approach on their contenders' filing if any.

Without mention where exactly RED patents are covered?

And under what authority jurisdiction to somehow stand same position/opinion for the subject matter on analogous claiming?

That said, by some other words, IP management and their rights are far to be restricted exclusively to US authorities no matter what office the records have been made. As much as the whole planet doesn't belong to US jurisdiction or attained under their officers, institutions and Courts. Or perhaps Thomas Edison claim to charge royalties over any operator using his invention would have prevailed as effectively did not by any chance ; )

What I see here is the nonobservance of a lot of variables to explore by any other player with a good team of experts and lawyers team to handle the task. As simple as that.

I'm sorry I can sound too plain on topic but all this has been addressed in a much strict standpoint. The issue and myriad of possibilities are beyond that.

Made in China a few of moralists are always ready to jump on is the utmost example of that. The world and the way business works is much more complex than apparently seems. For the market's sake itself.

1 hour ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

And by they way. if recording to an external ssd via usb-c it is technically not recording internally right?

so any camera manufacturer can implement compressed raw over usb-c

The patent covers any form of compressed RAW video recording, whether internal or external.

This is why Atomos signed a licensing agreement with RED for its external recorders that record ProRes RAW:

https://www.atomos.com/press-releases/atomos-and-red-are-pleased-to-announce-a-royalty-based-licence-agreement

Btw., the patents are linked on RED's website and publicly readable:

https://www.red.com/legal/patent