On Test - First Impressions - Sony Rx10 And A7R

Andrew Reid

That's why DXomark rates 5d3 and canons so low in low light scores, first thinking is they are mad, but they aren't because they try to bypass any image processing the camera has when testing sensor, take raw image files and put them trough topaz noise reduction or whatever you use and you get about the same results but with higher MP count on Nikon or sony in this case, result, canon sucks, same for video, take that A7R or d800 footage and reduce noise in post and you get the same results of canon but with better DR and lower need it ISO.

You should check out Dave Dugdal at learningdslrvideo.com.  His reviews of such things are pretty down to earth for hobbyists like myself.  I'm not getting paid for this and I don't want to have to do a bunch of stuff in post.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You should check out Dave Dugdal at learningdslrvideo.com.  His reviews of such things are pretty down to earth for hobbyists like myself.  I'm not getting paid for this and I don't want to have to do a bunch of stuff in post.

Exactly, did you see the difference in DR and how much impact it has on the image ? it is huge, add noise reduction in post and you question why 5d 3 is so praised.

One thing you can't do, moire and aliasing, that is a problem you can't fix in post so I guess that can be a deal breaker.

Exactly, did you see the difference in DR and how much impact it has on the image ? it is huge, add noise reduction in post and you question why 5d 3 is so praised.

One thing you can't do, moire and aliasing, that is a problem you can't fix in post so I guess that can be a deal breaker.

If you follow my posts (no reason you should) you will know my biggest complaints are moire/aliasing (canon rebel line) and post processing (bmpcc proress).  I actually don't mind the T3i when using a 50mm 1.4 for low light shallow depth of field work.  Yes the codec could be sharper but once the moire/aliasing is eliminated you can get good results straight out of the camera.

I don't have a powerful computer so any post processing is going to irritate me.  I shoot a lot of clips with various settings and constatnly having to go into Neat Video would drive me up the wall.  I use it but is slows the whole process down.  I have so many unprocessed clips littering my harddrive.

I shoot a lot of clips with various settings and constatnly having to go into Neat Video would drive me up the wall.  I use it but is slows the whole process down.  I have so many unprocessed clips littering my harddrive.

Get a i7 3770k or 4770k with a GTX 560 or better and you will get much better perf. with neatvideo, I know how painfull it is, from 20 hours render on a wedding from a q6600 I went to 8-9 hours now, doing it overnight.

Now with DSLR/m43  I rarely use neat video, with gh3 I can go up to iso 3200 with no major noise iso, I found that using mp4 28mb/s gives better results noise wise, if I shoot mov 50mb/s there is more detail but I get more noise and 72mb/s 25p has the most detail and most noise, so 50p 28mb/s mp4 is the workhorse for weddings.

On the Nikon I have primes and I hardly need iso over 2000, at iso 6400 neat video comes into play.

With gh3 above ISO 3200 you lose color, even with neatvideo the image is destroyed, colors are muddy, with Nikon you have good colors even at 12800 and can be cleaned nicely with neat video, but it is FX so...

Get a i7 3770k or 4770k with a GTX 560 or better and you will get much better perf. with neatvideo, I know how painfull it is, from 20 hours render on a wedding from a q6600 I went to 8-9 hours now, doing it overnight.

Well you are obviously doing this for money.  I am a hobbyist.  A new computer isn't in the cards for me at the moment.  I realize that I am hamstrung a lot by my pc hardware.  I have an i7 920.  Funny thing is when I bought it I thought it would be my last computer for like a decade!

I have a question about neat video.  Do you go through the little green selector box for every scene or is there a way you can calibarte it and then just apply that calibartion to a bunch of clips with a range of ISOs?  I do the full calibration thing for every clip that needs it.

I currently got Q9300 and 4GB ram, it certainly feel choking itself once and a while (already upgraded to SSD so hdd is not the limit), I think my next upgrade would be a new desktop instead of cameras lol  (got an i7 laptop but I am more desktop user)

Considering no external recorder is supporting Cinema DNG, and that recording 5K to SD cards would require alot of
Compresssion, you can already forget about it.

Not so. Indiecam's indieGS2K records CinemaDNG raw over 3G-SDI to the Hyperdeck Shuttle. Whether raw could be sent over HDMI is another matter. And it's probably less likely that 5K or even 4K could be sent over HDMI. I never said it had to be CinemaDNG, though. If the Bionz X processor can encode H.264, it certainly has enough power to encode 4K CineForm RAW, which requires something like 50-60 MB/sec at 24 fps, about half of what 2K CinemaDNG requires.

looks like a pretty promising camera indeed. I wonder how fast access to menus, ND filters are. I read that the focal length - focus are difficult to use. Did you get to shoot with it? This could be a good one. Also, I'm sure you are going to do tests of it once you can shoot with it to see how the codec actually resolutes. Cheers and thanks!

I have a question about neat video.  Do you go through the little green selector box for every scene or is there a way you can calibarte it and then just apply that calibartion to a bunch of clips with a range of ISOs?  I do the full calibration thing for every clip that needs it

If reception is shoot at candle light and i need neat video, i calibrate only for reception and put it on a separate video track, i set the plugin to the video track and not to the individual clips.

While i do that clubration i feel it's for nothing, the chrominace and luminance is always the same, 100 and 60.

When i apply neat video to scenes where i get noise in shadows but have good portions of image where the light is good, i can crank up the sharpness all the way to 250% with no white halo problems around the edges, neat video has a very good sharpening algorithm, usually you get white halo if too much is used, unsharp mask is worse.

anyone from Europe(im from eu so newegg dont work for me) have any good spec for computer for RAW video (canon 5D mark III +ML raw hack)  and for editing ?

what CPU, GPU whats ssd and hdd what RAM  and so on ...

What monitor is good for that kind of work DELL (with spyder calibration)?

Is there an combo that you can get good computer for 1000 eur or max 1500 eur 

And where from you buy those computer parts or built computer

thank you

PS: i was thinking to those who actually work with RAW