Panasonic G9 Becomes GH5, almost.

Brother

I’ve been curious as to why Panasonic equipped the S1/S1R with an XQD/CFexpress card slot when the S1H has dual SD card slots. Does Panasonic dare to offer 4K RAW recording to S1/S1R and leave the S1H with external raw recording? Does anyone understand Panasonic’s reasoning behind the high speed card slot for the lesser equipped cameras?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, seattledv said:

I’ve been curious as to why Panasonic equipped the S1/S1R with an XQD/CFexpress card slot when the S1H has dual SD card slots. Does Panasonic dare to offer 4K RAW recording to S1/S1R and leave the S1H with external raw recording? Does anyone understand Panasonic’s reasoning behind the high speed card slot for the lesser equipped cameras?

Well UHS-II spec allows for 312MB/s or 2496Mbps transfer rates.

Hence why the Sigma fp caps out at CinemaDNG 8-Bit UHD internal at 25p, which is around 1670Mbps. They could probably do more but there is definitely some overhead and transfer and they need at least 10-15% wiggle room for SD card inconsistencies.

ProRes HQ 4K 60p requires about 1786Mbps

ProRes RAW 4K 60p requires about 1680Mbps

You could do ProRes RAW on a UHS-II SD card.

As for the CFExpress on the S1. Probably for quickly clearing the buffer of the S1R burst shooting High MP raw images. Both cameras share everything except sensor. So it’s just easier and cheaper to have a common body for manufacturing reasons.

1 hour ago, seattledv said:

I believe the SD cards are capable of recording RAW. And I think they went with two SD cards for uniformity and popularity. 

Now it's out, the updated user guide for firmware V2.0 lists a few more updates than were mentioned in the news release (European English version is here -  https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DC-G9/EG_EC_EF_EB/DC-G9_DVQP1406ZC_full_eng.pdf  - see the 'Firmware Update' section at the end, page F-10 onwards - there are 20 new user guide pages to cover the changes!)

In particular, recording to MOV files (with LPCM audio) has been added, including FHD 10-bit 4:2:2 25/30/50/60p at 100 Mbps and 4k 10-bit 4:2:2 24/25/30p at 150 Mbps.

The 10bit 4:2:2 4k recording can be in HEVC (72 Mbps MP4 with AAC audio and HLG video) or H264 (150 Mbps MOV with LPCM audio).

30 minutes ago, nathlas said:

So after allo those info what has left for GH5,GH5s that G9 doesn't got ? 

Earlier post:

On 11/6/2019 at 10:50 PM, Video Hummus said:

LCD is not as high resolution / color accurate.

No C4K.

No 400Mbps All-I

No Cine 24.00 Hz

No anamorphic

No shutter angle / synchro scan

No focus transition feature

No XLR-1 support

No timecode

No HDMI LUT display / record trigger

No video property display layout

No unlimited recording

7 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

The poor G95. What a blunder. 

The G90/G95 does have unlimited video record time and V-Log L as standard, and it's a bit smaller and lighter than the G9.

But I agree - it's too expensive in comparison to the G9 and GH5 (and almost twice the price of the very capable G80/G85).

I can't see many people buying one when they could get a G9 for the same price or a GH5 for only £150 more...(based on current UK street prices).

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Would have put more pressure on the G85 prices to come down.....  (I want one!)

The street price of the body-only version of the G80 has almost halved in the UK over the last three years (so it's not much more than the G7 now), so I suspect it's almost bottomed-out.

I'd watch for cashback offers over December/January, especially if Panasonic do a 'double-cashback' promotion for a short period as they sometimes do (I got that on my G9 back in April during the last 'Easter' period promotion).

The used prices for the G85 aren't bad at all. I've seen them go for as low as $425 which is an absolute bargain. I got mine a year and a half ago used for $600 which came with two lenses. Sold the lenses and ended up only paying about $400ish for mine. Such a great camera! I still recommend it today, my only wish was that the 1080p was better. 

8 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

The G90/G95 does have unlimited video record time and V-Log L as standard, and it's a bit smaller and lighter than the G9.

But I agree - it's too expensive in comparison to the G9 and GH5 (and almost twice the price of the very capable G80/G85).

I can't see many people buying one when they could get a G9 for the same price or a GH5 for only £150 more...(based on current UK street prices).

In the US the G85 always had unlimited recording so that wasn't a problem here. V-Log L though was nice, but with the GH5 only about $200 more new the G95 was DOA. Less crop in 4K, 10 Bit, and 4K 60p made the extra $200, even without V-Log L, worth it. 

I think Panasonic intended for it to become the updated B-cam for the GH5 but circumstances made them lower the G9 and GH5 prices to the point where the G95 really had no market. I hear hardly anyone talking about/using it, which is telling given how many people I knew/know using the G85. 

It's gonna rank up there for me with the LX100 mark II when it comes to a blunder by Panasonic. 

20 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

The street price of the body-only version of the G80 has almost halved in the UK over the last three years (so it's not much more than the G7 now), so I suspect it's almost bottomed-out.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if brand new prices of the G80/G85 have got close to their minimum they'll ever reach, but I'm referring to secondhand prices which always will keep on going down. And if the G95 had been an amazing camera that would have forced the G85 much lower. But as it is now, not many people would sell their G85 for a G95! And plenty of people (like myself) would choose a secondhand G85 over a new G95

16 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

The used prices for the G85 aren't bad at all. I've seen them go for as low as $425 which is an absolute bargain. I got mine a year and a half ago used for $600 which came with two lenses. Sold the lenses and ended up only paying about $400ish for mine.

So in a year and half they're still basically the same price as what you essentially paid for your body back then?

That's kinda my point! Haven't seen the big drop in price I'd hoped for. 

It's gonna rank up there for me with the LX100 mark II when it comes to a blunder by Panasonic. 

Still not as big a blunder as what Nikon did with their own "large" sensor compacts..... the Nikon DL series! What a bloody screw up blunder by them. 

13 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

Such a great camera! I still recommend it today, my only wish was that the 1080p was better. 

Yes, I agree re. the G80/G85 - that's part of the reason I eventually bought a G9 (the other main reason was 4k60p), on which the 1080p quality is in a different league, really.

1080 isn't good in the G85?? I thought it was decent (at least compared to how poor the a6300 did its 1080 vs 4K....)

As I could imagine there might be times I'd do 1080, such as when I know I"ll be rambling on for an hour or so into the camera and I've got limited card space left. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

1080 isn't good in the G85?? I thought it was decent (at least compared to how poor the a6300 did its 1080 vs 4K....)

IMHO, it's quite decent, but it does suffer from some aliasing e.g. on brickwork/roof tiles etc. perhaps contributed to by it being a bit over-sharpened. On the plus side, I've never noticed any moire.

Put it another way, I've owned the G5 & G6 and I don't think the G80 1080p looks much better overall than those two, just a bit different (it looks sharper and punchier but I think you pay for that with some occasional moderate aliasing problems).

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

As I could imagine there might be times I'd do 1080, such as when I know I"ll be rambling on for an hour or so into the camera and I've got limited card space left. 

It's not bad at all in 24 or 30p but 60p isn't very good. It just doesn't have the data rates you'd want.