Panasonic G9 Becomes GH5, almost.

Brother

26 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

What do we want? A GH6! When do we want it? Now!

I'm actually a bit conflicted about the GH6.  I want it to be great so that it lifts the standard of the industry, but I want it to be mediocre so that I'm not tempted to upgrade!  

Ironically, no new camera has actually tempted me in any serious way, so it would have to be something truly special.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Thpriest said:

I'm intrigued by what Panasonic has up their sleeves for the GH5 but honestly it'd take quite a bit to get me to upgrade any time soon. At almost 3 years old the GH5 still does everything I NEED (not want, but need) in a camera. When it's all said and done it will have easily paid for itself at least 10x over, at a minimum. 

2 hours ago, kye said:

I'm actually a bit conflicted about the GH6.  I want it to be great so that it lifts the standard of the industry, but I want it to be mediocre so that I'm not tempted to upgrade!  

Ironically, no new camera has actually tempted me in any serious way, so it would have to be something truly special.

Disagree on the mediocre part, agree on everything else! Ha ha! 

2 hours ago, nathlas said:

This is G9's talk not GH6's. 

So you would prefer G9 than GH5 for hybrid camera after this update  ?

If you don't need the cinema specific features and unlimited record time, absolutely. The GH5 is a decent stills camera but the G9 is superior in stills in every way. It's their flagship M43 stills camera for a reason!

What I really wanted in this update is a fix for IBIS warping at the wide angle. That warping makes image unusable starting from 12mm and I need to turn IBIS completely off which I dont want to. Olympus is using EIS to fix this, I am sure that Panasonic could do the same or even better with their EIS. But we still dont have it.. after almost 3 years. 

On 11/6/2019 at 4:36 AM, Fatalfury said:

This makes G9 very appealing but with all these improvements they should also remove recording time limit (30min in 25/30p, 10 min in 50/60p).

And no 10bit in 24p? 

The 29 minute recording limit has always been blamed on the Euro VAT tax. Camera companies have never wanted a 29 minute cripple but they were always forced against their will to do it because of Euro laws. 

Im told that Panasonic agrees with it's customers and would LOVE to remove the cripple but is affraid to. Even though the law is gone today, camera companies fear that it might suddenly return so they feel its best to just keep the 29 minute cripple limit so they wont be cought off gurad.

Panasonic, Sony and Cannon DO agree with us about wantimg to remove the limit, its just those pesky taxes could return and they have no choice but to be ready, just in case.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:50 AM, Thpriest said:

There wont be a GH6 until Sony is ready to make a new, upgraded IMX270 or IMX272 sensor.

Panasonic and Olympus will just need to wait for Sony to make a fully stacked BSI MFT for replace the current FSI ones.

Otberwize, why remake a GH5 or G9 using the same IMX272?

7 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

There wont be a GH6 until Sony is ready to make a new, upgraded IMX270 or IMX272 sensor.

Panasonic and Olympus will just need to wait for Sony to make a fully stacked BSI MFT for replace the current FSI ones.

When are they expected?

I thought there was talk of a new sensor being produced a couple of months ago.

Guys,..quit asking for Panasonic to buy phase detect AF sensors. They are tired of customers screaming at them for it. Let's face it...Sony liscenses PDAF sensors to Nikon, Olympus and Fuji....but they will probably NEVER liscence PDAF sensors to Panasonic.

Believe me....Sony is VERY happy to see Panasonic customers scream at Panasonic for not having PDAF. Every time a Panny customer says on social media; "Panasonic AF sucks"..a Sony Alpha camera manager says "whew!!...thank you Sony SemiConductor!"

CT

31 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

Guys,..quit asking for Panasonic to buy phase detect AF sensors. They are tired of customers screaming at them for it. Let's face it...Sony liscenses PDAF sensors to Nikon, Olympus and Fuji....but they will probably NEVER liscence PDAF sensors to Panasonic.

Believe me....Sony is VERY happy to see Panasonic customers scream at Panasonic for not having PDAF. Every time a Panny customer says on social media; "Panasonic AF sucks"..a Sony Alpha camera manager says "whew!!...thank you Sony SemiConductor!"

CT

Sorry for my ignorance but why is that?

30 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Sorry for my ignorance but why is that?

On 11/7/2019 at 7:50 AM, Thpriest said:

44 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

CT

Sorry, I meant the PDAF

On 11/7/2019 at 8:44 AM, theSUBVERSIVE said:

G10:

• higher MP count
  • IBIS
  • reliable continuous AF for sports
  • high-speed and high-capacity buffer
  • maybe dual-gain circuit if they can
  • 4K 10-bit

The Panasonic G10 already exists...

image.png.5e624ccd1063e6e863a4d2da89abcd8e.png

So they won't call it a "G10" but something else instead.