Panasonic G9 Becomes GH5, almost.

Brother

I was thinking about getting a GH5 to pair with my GH5S as a backup body, and for IBIS situations.

Now I'm considering the G9.

What are the disadvantages compared to the GH5?  Any potential image quality / codec / bitrate issues, even at 10-bit?

I also own a GX80 (GX85) if that is a useful thing to mention.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

I was thinking about getting a GH5 to pair with my GH5S as a backup body, and for IBIS situations.

Now I'm considering the G9.

What are the disadvantages compared to the GH5?  Any potential image quality / codec / bitrate issues, even at 10-bit?

I also own a GX80 (GX85) if that is a useful thing to mention.

LCD is not as high resolution / color accurate.

No C4K.

No 400Mbps All-I

No Cine 24.00 Hz

No anamorphic

No shutter angle / synchro scan

No focus transition feature

No XLR-1 support

No timecode

No HDMI LUT display / record trigger

No video property display layout

No unlimited recording

I think the GH6 will really pack in the features as it is the only way to differentiate the MFT market (just like the GH5 did 3 years ago). Basically, what can't full-frame mirrorless cameras do yet? A few years ago, it was 10-bit 4K, high frame rates, and great IBIS. Really only Panasonic's own cameras have surpassed that, but Nikon, Sony, and Canon are coming close (and Canon crushing with 1DX III specs that will surely make their way into a mirrorless camera soon-ish).

So the GH6 needs to go all-in.
- Raw externally to an SSD
- Dual ISO that is great to at least 6400 ISO (like the GH5s)
- 6K recording (not a huge deal for me as I'd rather have 12-bit 444 or raw in HD and 4K, but everyone else is doing it, soo...)
- G9 or better IBIS (EM1X territory)
- 120fps in 4K (and in 10-bit!)
- Great AF - definitely starting to find this more and more important to keep my gimbal weight down.
- And the BIG ONE: INTERNAL NDs!!

I'm all about Panasonic's full-frame and excited about where Canon is heading after two knockout releases (C500II and 1DXIII) and amazing RF glass, but a GH6 with the above features with the 10-25mm f1.7 attached would compete on almost all levels.

5 hours ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

GH6: 

• new 20-ish MP sensor
  • dual-gain
  • IBIS
  • 240+fps slow-mo
  • maybe 4K90p or 120p?
  • 4K60p 10-bit internally 
  • reliable AF without hunting/pulsing in video
  • S1H's hinge/fully articulated screen
  • at least the same RAW recording as the S1H

What's interesting to me is that I actually don't really care that much for most of the above improvements..  The dual-gain would be fantastic and the hinge/articulated screen would be nice, but the rest are a bit meh. I would like internal NDs though, that would be sweet.

4 minutes ago, kye said:

What's interesting to me is that I actually don't really care that much for most of the above improvements..  The dual-gain would be fantastic and the hinge/articulated screen would be nice, but the rest are a bit meh. I would like internal NDs though, that would be sweet.

Full Vlog would be a big deal for me. Don't you think being about to shoot a clean 6400 iso and pretty usable 12,800 iso would be pretty cool tho?

3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Full Vlog would be a big deal for me. Don't you think being about to shoot a clean 6400 iso and pretty usable 12,800 iso would be pretty cool tho?

Yes, high ISO performance would be spectacular, which is what I said.  I would actually quite like HLG to be available in 60p too.  Matching a mixture of HLG and Cine-D footage in grading is an extra step I don't particularly enjoy.

3 hours ago, kye said:

Yes, high ISO performance would be spectacular, which is what I said.  I would actually quite like HLG to be available in 60p too.  Matching a mixture of HLG and Cine-D footage in grading is an extra step I don't particularly enjoy.

Ah I missed that. Yeah I rarely used 4k 60 when I had the GH5 due to that, mostly 1080p 60 which wasn't bad

4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Ah I missed that. Yeah I rarely used 4k 60 when I had the GH5 due to that, mostly 1080p 60 which wasn't bad

I’m still trying to work out when to use the slow-motion modes TBH.  I used to shoot 25p a mixture of 60p but have since taken on board @Mako Sports rationale of shooting 25p when something needs sound and 120p otherwise.  Of course this mainly applies to sports, but the rationale about needing sound or not seems to have some logic to it.  Since then I haven’t worked out how to decide between 4K60, 1080p120, and 1080p60 (which IIRC is 10-bit).  These are of course in combination to Resolve and the post-processing that it has, including high-quality upscaling and time-stretching (optical flow and AI) algorithms.

What a time to be alive though - having to choose between time-stretching 4K60 to get 4K120 or up-resing 1080p120 or time-stretching and up-resing 1080p60 but getting 10-bit.

Just have to think through what I value more and what situations I would use each mode in.

5 minutes ago, kye said:

I’m still trying to work out when to use the slow-motion modes TBH.  I used to shoot 25p a mixture of 60p but have since taken on board @Mako Sports rationale of shooting 25p when something needs sound and 120p otherwise.  Of course this mainly applies to sports, but the rationale about needing sound or not seems to have some logic to it.  Since then I haven’t worked out how to decide between 4K60, 1080p120, and 1080p60 (which IIRC is 10-bit).  These are of course in combination to Resolve and the post-processing that it has, including high-quality upscaling and time-stretching (optical flow and AI) algorithms.

What a time to be alive though - having to choose between time-stretching 4K60 to get 4K120 or up-resing 1080p120 or time-stretching and up-resing 1080p60 but getting 10-bit.

Just have to think through what I value more and what situations I would use each mode in.

For me 120p goes out the window if the lighting situation is tricky as I've found you usually get a lot more noise if under exposed. But yeah that can be a tough call. 

12 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

For me 120p goes out the window if the lighting situation is tricky as I've found you usually get a lot more noise if under exposed. But yeah that can be a tough call. 

I did some comparisons with the XC10 between the 300mbps 4Kp25 with 50% time-stretch and the ~50mbps 1080p50 and the 4K timestretch killed the 1080 due to bitrate alone, but the GH5 has much better 1080 so i’m not sure.

I’ll have to do some tests, but TBH I’ve shot the last couple of trips using only 25p and I didn’t really find any moments when I wished I’d filmed in 60p or 120p.

I’m not really a fan of the trendy travel films that are all about special effects without content, and for my own work i’m really just trying to get a sense of what actually happened.  The emotional experience of travelling with kids is very different to the feeling of these hyper-produced videos where every shot is a speed-ramp gimbal shot, so it’s more a case of what is right for the project for me.

Of course, I might be missing something and not know it, which is why I push myself to try other techniques and explore the potential in features of the equipment.  I think there’s a lot of value in learning another genre and then bringing that experience and skill set back to your normal work to be better able to realise your vision.  The more you know and all that... :) 

13 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

LCD is not as high resolution / color accurate.

No C4K.

No 400Mbps All-I

No Cine 24.00 Hz

No anamorphic

No shutter angle / synchro scan

No focus transition feature

No XLR-1 support

No timecode

No HDMI LUT display / record trigger

No video property display layout

No unlimited recording

You just put me back on track towards the GH5.  A couple of those are deal - breakers.