Large Format Cameras Are Changing Film Language, From ‘Joker’ to ‘Midsommar’

User

Just now, EthanAlexander said:

To be fair, almost any lens wide open is soft, but I get your point.

On the flip side, it's great when you need a lot of extra light - you can open up to 0.95 and still be getting the depth of field of a 1.8 so you're getting a bunch of light and at least a chance of getting things in focus at the same time ?

I like the 0.95 lenses on M43 and use them all the time. Still, FF does things M43 can't and visa versa.  That's all.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, EthanAlexander said:

To be fair, almost any lens wide open is soft, but I get your point.

On the flip side, it's great when you need a lot of extra light - you can open up to 0.95 and still be getting the depth of field of a 1.8 so you're getting a bunch of light and at least a chance of getting things in focus at the same time ?

That's one of the huge advantages of MFT - having a bright exposure and not having to contend with a razor thin DoF.

It took me ages to realise that and I couldn't work out why people were saying that getting f0.95 lenses for low light was ridiculous because they unusable and I was thinking "it's not that hard actually" - then I realised they were thinking about FF exposure and DoF and I had one of those "ah ha!" moments! :) 

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

I like the 0.95 lenses on M43 and use them all the time. Still, FF does things M43 can't and visa versa.  That's all.

Agreed.

Fast wides are a weakness, but if you shoot sports then you can laugh in the face of those people with their hernia-inducing 800mm prime lens setups!