Sigma Fp first shots - how does internal 8bit RAW compare to external 12bit RAW?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, Waynes said:

Was that shot on a 4 bit Cinema camera?  :)

We need more 4 bit Cinema cameras.   BM please give us  4 bit Cinema Cameras?

Careful..  someone will read this and take it one step further and we'll end up with some 2-bit cinema camera company.  We've had those before and they only leave broken promises and heartbreak in their wake!

18 hours ago, kye said:

Careful..  someone will read this and take it one step further and we'll end up with some 2-bit cinema camera company.  We've had those before and they only leave broken promises and heartbreak in their wake!

Maybe It's too late:

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, markr041 said:

My test of 8bit DNG RAW straight to an sd card. I also conclude that having the full dynamic range of the sensor, no color subsampling, and no compression that DNG RAW provides may be a lot more important than 8 versus 10bits.

Stunning footage!

I think in terms of dynamic range 12 bit yields cleaner shadows than 8, probably the main practical advantage. 

6 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Stunning footage!

I think in terms of dynamic range 12 bit yields cleaner shadows than 8, probably the main practical advantage. 

Yeah, which also means that you can expose to preserve/better roll off the highlights (which in the above material do sometimes clip), since with 12bit,. you can raise gamma and shadows in post without getting color tearing artefacts.

8 hours ago, markr041 said:

My test of 8bit DNG RAW straight to an sd card. I also conclude that having the full dynamic range of the sensor, no color subsampling, and no compression that DNG RAW provides may be a lot more important than 8 versus 10bit

Great footage!!