Sigma Fp first shots - how does internal 8bit RAW compare to external 12bit RAW?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

DSC00019b.jpg

On the Sigma Fp it is definitely worth shooting 12bit RAW to a USB C SSD drive, if you want to make full use of the dynamic range.

If you don't need to boost the shadows by 3-4 stops, or under expose by 3-4 stops to prioritise a particularly bright part of the frame, the 8bit RAW to SD card offers beautiful results too.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sometimes the second frame of a Cinema DNG recording to an SSD is corrupt.

I am using version 1.0 of the firmware, so I am sure a fix will be coming soon.

Also the first frame of each sequence is scaled up, but Sigma acknowledged this in their recent press release- https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2019/10/24/2318/

But Andrew, am I doing something wrong here, I am correct in saying that switching from CINE to STILL carries over whatever Focus/ISO/Program mode setting you already have set in the prev mode?

I just came from shooting my kids Halloween school parade, and it was tricky to switch back and forth between video and stills; I would use the MF/AF switch on the lens to switch, use the CINE/STILL to switch the actual mode, then the Mode button to choose A for stills or C1 for video, so three steps really. And if I hadn't already setup C1, I would've also been having to set ISO. I really wish everything was separate so you could just switch modes solely with the CINE/STILL switch, I'm spoiled with my E-M1m2 setup.

I'm also going to keep reminding myself that this is firmware 1.0, bc as I'm going through and editing what I shot this morning, I'm getting a bunch of DNG clips where, maybe every 10 frames, a frame is off by like 10 frames, so the whole clips keeps jumping all over the place. Fixable by combing through frame by frame and renaming them all, but a serious pain in the ass.

1 hour ago, Brian Williams said:

I'm also going to keep reminding myself that this is firmware 1.0, bc as I'm going through and editing what I shot this morning, I'm getting a bunch of DNG clips where, maybe every 10 frames, a frame is off by like 10 frames, so the whole clips keeps jumping all over the place. Fixable by combing through frame by frame and renaming them all, but a serious pain in the ass.

That's worrying, hopefully they'll come with a fix for that, and the mode switching very soon. What's Sigma's track record with updates?

It depends what NLE you're using, but you could import them all as still frames, sort by time created and then bring them into your timeline... the odd frame that is in the wrong place can't have been created 10 frames before it was captured... if that makes sense... so maybe that can help you avoid having to rename them all?

2011 -Ikonoskop DII 12 bit RAW cDNG

2012 -Digital Bolex D16 12 bit RAW cDNG built by a team with no prior camera manufacturing experience

2013 - Magic Lantern uncovers 14 bit RAW video possible on the 2008 Canon 5D Mark II

2013 -BMPCC 12 bit RAW cDNG

I appreciate that there have been plenty of higher end RAW capable cameras released and uncompressed RAW is a storage hog but why the frak has it taken this long for someone to release a small form factor RAW capable camera with a decent built in screen....All I want is Ikonoskop DII or Digital Bolex IQ with no baked in NR in a small form factor.

3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's worrying, hopefully they'll come with a fix for that, and the mode switching very soon. What's Sigma's track record with updates?

It depends what NLE you're using, but you could import them all as still frames, sort by time created and then bring them into your timeline... the odd frame that is in the wrong place can't have been created 10 frames before it was captured... if that makes sense... so maybe that can help you avoid having to rename them all?

Well the more I edited, the more clips I found like that- maybe it was a one-off error. I finally figured out the pattern, every frame that ended in a 2 (ex. 0042) needed to go back 8 frames, so renamed to 0034 (well, renamed to 0033b, then do a batch renaming of the whole folder once they are all renamed so that everything is sequential), and so on down the list. A pain in the ass for sure, I can't imagine they won't fix it though. Scared to shoot raw on my SSD at the moment though.

Another weird thing- Sigma said that the first two frames of SSD sequences would be messed up for now, but I started seeing the second frame in each sequence was actually a frame from the previous sequence. Its all very odd.

1 hour ago, Waynes said:

Such a shame they didn't go 6k and 4k 50 fps, with same compression data rate.  Would have been more than cool.  The little camera that is, but at the same time almost was.

Makes we wonder if the hackers could do 4kp50 or 6kp50 this way.

I'm sure they didn't do those thing you mention because it can't handle it, just like almost every other camera out there. You're disappointed that a $1900 Fullframe camera that shoots raw video can't do 6k raw at 50fps??

• Administrators

You can bet your house that when we have 8K 120fps, people will be disappointed.

Fundamental human flaw! Never happy with what we have, always want what we can't.

I suppose in a way it drives progress and innovation... the restlessness... but it also creates a relentless pace in the world, where we don't for one moment stop to enjoy what we have. Full frame sensors have only just become fast enough to do 6K readout at 24p, or Super 35mm crop for 4K/60p. A remarkable achievement, let's remember that.

I appreciate that there have been plenty of higher end RAW capable cameras released and uncompressed RAW is a storage hog but why the frak has it taken this long for someone to release a small form factor RAW capable camera with a decent built in screen....All I want is Ikonoskop DII or Digital Bolex IQ with no baked in NR in a small form factor.

I agree... Should be more funky RAW stuff around for artists to play with... Although the technology has always been around, the desire from major manufacturers hasn't. And perhaps it should tell us something that Ikonoskop and Digital Bolex both went out of business! It's not easy.

34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

You can bet your house that when we have 8K 120fps, people will be disappointed.

Fundamental human flaw! Never happy with what we have, always want what we can't.

I suppose in a way it drives progress and innovation... the restlessness... but it also creates a relentless pace in the world, where we don't for one moment stop to enjoy what we have. Full frame sensors have only just become fast enough to do 6K readout at 24p, or Super 35mm crop for 4K/60p. A remarkable achievement, let's remember that.

I agree... Should be more funky RAW stuff around for artists to play with... Although the technology has always been around, the desire from major manufacturers hasn't. And perhaps it should tell us something that Ikonoskop and Digital Bolex both went out of business! It's not easy.

The Ikonoskop was way too expensive and the D16 had a polarising external appearance and the release firmware was bit flakey (especially compared to the later firmware with Bolex Log), but what a thick beautiful digital negative to work with.   It sometimes feels like we want to make Star Wars Episode V but because of all the latest technological wiz bang gadgets we end up making Star Wars Episode I where we end up spending too much time setting up and playing with everything than focusing on the creativity or art part.

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Someone needs to make a device with a USB-C port that takes the CDNG from the camera and outputs compressed CDNG to a T5 SSD in realtime.

I guess you could get one of those intel PC sticks, install slimRaw on it, and then write a script that runs whenever you attach an SSD to it to automatically start the compression process. Doesn’t sound so smooth when I write it out though.