Nikon Z6 + 24-70 or essential movie kit

Aquilasfx

Hello I’m a Nikon user,

I usually shoot a loot pictures for work with my d800 and d700 cameras, with these lenses:

14-24 2.8

24-70 2.8g

70-200 2.8g

35 f2

85 1.4g

105 macro

ane for video works I use a Panasonic GH5 with 12-35 2.8 and metabones adapter for Nikon lens. 

What do you think that is better to invest in the:

- Nikon Z6 kit 24-70 f4 + ftz 

- Nikon Z6 essential movie kit with Atomos recorder V cage and cables

I have also Atomos ninja flame, but I don’t use it too much, because it’s heavy to carry. 

Thanks for suggestions

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Make a list of your current issues when filming.  Things that bug you, things that cause missed shots or shots that you have to spend time fixing in post, things you can't do because you don't have the equipment, things that aren't good enough for something tangible outcome.

Then prioritise them.  If I could only fix one issue, what would it be?  If I could only fix two issues, what would they be?  If.....

THEN think about where to put your money.

The worst way to spend money is to solve a problem you don't have, or that someone else has but you don't!

I don’t want to leave the GH5. But I want to use two cameras together. Usually in my work, I have to take also pictures, and sometimes if I use only GH5 I miss some of them, in parallel I prefer not to use too much D800 for videos and for the weight in that kind of work. In any case I want to change my D700 with a machine that produce video, and a Nikon mirrorless is perfect for me. I’m only thinking if buy or not the 24-70 f4 in kit. It seems not so fast, but for video events (the weight and also the possibility to make good pictures) having the same lens it could be interesting for me. 

"I have also Atomos ninja flame, but I don’t use it too much, because it’s heavy to carry."

I would skip the Nikon Z6 essential movie kit with Atomos recorder V cage and cables.  99.9% of the time I'm happy with the image inside the camera, and also find the atomos V to be heavy and unnecessary in most cases.

1 hour ago, socs said:

"I have also Atomos ninja flame, but I don’t use it too much, because it’s heavy to carry."

I would skip the Nikon Z6 essential movie kit with Atomos recorder V cage and cables.  99.9% of the time I'm happy with the image inside the camera, and also find the atomos V to be heavy and unnecessary in most cases.

What do you think about the 24-70 f4 for the videos?

20 hours ago, Aquilasfx said:

The 24-70 2.8 S is usually to heavy for the gimbal? I never had a lens so slow

Full frame 4f is good enough for most shooting conditions and styles anyway.

Modern sensors are producing nice and clean images in higher ISO, and the difference in price/size and weight is substantial, so it is a no brainer for me to go with the 4f.

I had this particular dilemma recently with the EF 70-200 and of course I went for the 4f.

It is 2020, not 1980!

Ofcourse, try first - buy later. Everyone's needs are unique.