What Wireless Lavalier Microphone System?

Emanuel

Coming from here and there:

Here's a focusing copycat comparative field test by the rather interesting Tom Antos' review:

Dual Lav mics system advantage over other solutions out there such as these ones, David @IronFilm?

In any case heavier than these two, isn't it?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1472750-REG/azden_pro_xr_2_4ghz_digital_wireless_microphone.html/specs

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072850-REG/senal_aws_2000_a_advanced_wireless_microphone.html

Any other shortcomings as nonlocking connectors for the Azden or lack of dual lav mics offer for both of them I guess?

Any other lighter ones to compare with?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Budget wireless really depends on your uses. A lot of people will bash budget options because they don't match the performance of higher end options, but for really basic stuff they're often fine. I have an Azden system that's under $200 (I got them on sale a couple years ago for $129 on B&H) and I've had virtually no problems with them, but I also have only used them in situations that fell well below what their specs say they're capable of in terms of distance. I did use them in a venue Friday that had about 300 people all using cell phones and had no problems with interference even though they're 2.4ghz. That made me happy! 

I'd say if you're within 25 to 50 feet of your camera/recorder and with a relatively clear line of sight you can get away with using a lot of the budget systems. Your mileage will vary when it comes to audio quality (that though often has to do with the mics that come with those systems and can be remedied with nicer ones.)

Currently I have the aforementioned Azden XD system and a Sennheiser XSW set. Both are under $300; the Sennheiser is quite nice, though unfortunately doesn't allow you to limit the output so it runs too hot for my GH5, which won't allow me to lower my preamps any lower. :(

I've looked into getting the Sony UWP D11. You can find some good deals on them used. My biggest fear is buying a more pricey system only for the frequencies to longer be useable as they get purchased by private companies or phased out, but that might be an irrational fear. 

Not s

On 11/5/2019 at 12:43 PM, scotchtape said:

Got the email from BH today, Sennheiser G4 on sale for $450 

I've been kicking around getting the G4. I trash all my promo email frequently, so I didn't see the B&H sale. On the website, they are showing up at full price. Was it a flash sale or something?

13 hours ago, EphraimP said:

Not s

I've been kicking around getting the G4. I trash all my promo email frequently, so I didn't see the B&H sale. On the website, they are showing up at full price. Was it a flash sale or something?

Expired 19/11/6, required promo code that i'm assuming is unique.

1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

Expired 19/11/6, required promo code that i'm assuming is unique.

Typical. That's a bummer. I see that the version with the cardioid lav mic, the ME 4, is bundled with a $100 B&H gift card, so it's at least somewhat discounted. But I've seen some pretty negative reviews of it. Anyone had experience with either the M2 II or the ME 4, or both? I'm wondering if B&H is willing to discount the ME 4s because they didn't sell well.

Maybe it will drop down again during holiday/end of year sales.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:43 AM, scotchtape said:

Is there something wrong with the Deity Wireless Connect system?  Seemed pretty affordable and I haven't heard anything bad about them (also haven't been looking at getting anything new for a while).

Am going to get one myself soon, so I can report back some personal findings. 

One of my good buddies who is also a local sound mixer, really likes it himself. 

On 11/5/2019 at 11:00 AM, Mako Sports said:

Still some issues with 2.4ghz systems

Such as? I can't think of anything notable about Deity Connect Wireless which has been reported as an issue with 2.4GHz

Remember "2.4GHz" is simply a frequency, and there are many many MANY different ways to implement how it is used. 

It is like saying "UHF is bad" just because you had a few bad experiences with a UHF system, or heard some reported, doesn't mean all UHF is bad

7 hours ago, EphraimP said:

Typical. That's a bummer. I see that the version with the cardioid lav mic, the ME 4, is bundled with a $100 B&H gift card, so it's at least somewhat discounted. But I've seen some pretty negative reviews of it. Anyone had experience with either the M2 II or the ME 4, or both? I'm wondering if B&H is willing to discount the ME 4s because they didn't sell well.

Don't get a cardioid lav mic

47 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Am going to get one myself soon, so I can report back some personal findings. 

One of my good buddies who is also a local sound mixer, really likes it himself. 

Such as? I can't think of anything notable about Deity Connect Wireless which has been reported as an issue with 2.4GHz

Remember "2.4GHz" is simply a frequency, and there are many many MANY different ways to implement how it is used. 

It is like saying "UHF is bad" just because you had a few bad experiences with a UHF system, or heard some reported, doesn't mean all UHF is bad

Don't get a cardioid lav mic

Why not a cardioid lav mic? I ask because I'm trying to learn as much about sound as possible.

Also, I'll be very curious to hear what you have to say about the Deity Connect system. I was originally planning to by it because of it's cost to value ratio and because I've been pretty happy with my S-Mic 2. I thought I've read some negative comments about the Connect system on the board and also several recommendations not to buy the first version of a Deity product because they come to market without all the bugs worked out and the second generation is always better.

1 hour ago, EphraimP said:

Why not a cardioid lav mic? I ask because I'm trying to learn as much about sound as possible.

Also, I'll be very curious to hear what you have to say about the Deity Connect system. I was originally planning to by it because of it's cost to value ratio and because I've been pretty happy with my S-Mic 2. I thought I've read some negative comments about the Connect system on the board and also several recommendations not to buy the first version of a Deity product because they come to market without all the bugs worked out and the second generation is always better.

IronFilm I think knows better than me but... omni lavs generally have more natural sounds. Cardioid can also have issues if not properly placed on the subject since they're more directional. 

On 11/8/2019 at 2:47 PM, EphraimP said:

Once you've placed your lav mic, then you've basically got no control over its placement whatsoever (unlike a boom mic you're swinging which you can tweak during the take constantly). Not a good thing for a cardioid, as you'll suffer worse from when your talent goes off axis. 

Additionally cardioid lav mics suffer more from wind / handling noise. 

It is very very very very rare to see a cardioid lav mic in use. 

also several recommendations not to buy the first version of a Deity product because they come to market without all the bugs worked out and the second generation is always better.

Meh, you could say the same about many other products/brands though!

For example Sound Devices is a very well respected brand, yet they had a few stuff ups with their First Generation of the MixPre series. 

I was originally planning to by it because of it's cost to value ratio and because I've been pretty happy with my S-Mic 2.

If you're buying new then I think you probably can't beat if for value for money in this price bracket. 

To do better you need to go secondhand, such as Sony UWP-D11 or Lectro 200 series