DJI Mavic Mini just landed...

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah it seems iPhones are the go to for Drone's. I got a Parrot Anafi for cheap as the owner said it wouldn't connect to his phone. I immediately assumed he probably had an android and I was right, my iphone worked perfect. 

I agree this drone is definitely crippled but its also only $399. I don't need 4k but 4k tends to have less moire and such on these type of cameras for whatever reason and that counts big time.

The primary reason I won't jump on this is the bit rate. That's the deal breaker for me personally. If they'd gone up to 100mbps I'd be all over it. 40mbps though is too low; you can't work with the footage much in post at that bit rate and it has to struggle with fast movement/details I imagine. 

Still it's an exciting look into the future. 

I see this thing as like the iPhone camera app in the sky. No raw, or crazy settings or bitrates....just a clean, easy to use product and something that I can keep in my bag all the time. I honestly will be using this more than I ever used my Mavic Pro. But I am in a weird position now only doing YouTube content instead of freelance work. 

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

I see this thing as like the iPhone camera app in the sky. No raw, or crazy settings or bitrates....just a clean, easy to use product and something that I can keep in my bag all the time. I honestly will be using this more than I ever used my Mavic Pro. But I am in a weird position now only doing YouTube content instead of freelance work. 

This might be an odd question, but what does this thing fly like in the wind? I shoot most Kiteboarding videos and I don't particularly care much for carrying a drone (had a mavic but sold it as I don't like more things to carry), however there's quite some times where companies want drone shots included because they think it looks "pro". Basically what I'm getting at is whether this thing can fly in say 20knots or so?

On 10/31/2019 at 5:19 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah it seems iPhones are the go to for Drone's. I got a Parrot Anafi for cheap as the owner said it wouldn't connect to his phone. I immediately assumed he probably had an android and I was right, my iphone worked perfect.

Ditto, I bought ipod touch specifically for drones only. There are some stuff just works on Apple iOS.  Same for that 5g wireless transmitter monitor too, iOS just work better with lower latency. Even though i jumped from ip7+ to s10 as i prefer Android myself.

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

What review?

The absence of other features I understand, given the limitations and compromises needed to make such a small drone. Not allowing 24 fps though feels like they're blatantly crippling the drone's capabilities so lower budget filmmakers have to spend more if they want 24 fps. I'm all for offering a low cost option, because like I said in a previous post not every release is geared/targeted for us and that's okay. But removing something like that feels very petty and a play straight out of Canon's playbook.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:04 PM, newfoundmass said:

The absence of other features I understand, given the limitations and compromises needed to make such a small drone. Not allowing 24 fps though feels like they're blatantly crippling the drone's capabilities so lower budget filmmakers have to spend more if they want 24 fps. I'm all for offering a low cost option, because like I said in a previous post not every release is geared/targeted for us and that's okay. But removing something like that feels very petty and a play straight out of Canon's playbook.

I forgive them as its their cheapest model drone. Canon gimps their flagships/high end products which is idiotic. 

On 10/31/2019 at 4:04 PM, newfoundmass said:

I have an old phone that I use specifically for filmmaking apps. I understand your frustration but there's alternatives out there.

iPurchased an iPod Touch just to use with my Zoom F8n, because I'm an Android man but it uses an iOS App

On 10/31/2019 at 7:10 PM, DaveAltizer said:

Exactly, YouTubers will eat this up, which will then influence a zillion more people to get this as well. 

Will prove to be very very popular!

On 11/3/2019 at 4:05 PM, Emanuel said:

At least there is something you can take advantage from... a bit of slow motion with the 30p -> 24p conversion LOL ; -)

Slow motion is often good for drone shots anyway

Frankly, I like what I see graded along what has been shot with this bird...

Do we really need sharper 4K outcome with such?

And for those who complain about manual controls, here is something to them:

To be honest, I don't somehow share part of the criticism... For the price and form factor, I find it a perfect no brainer : ) Good luck to those who will stay out of it with any of those outdated or much heavier/bigger birds LOL ; ) I'll probably buy one before they'll launch the Mavic 3 Pro : -)