DJI Mavic Mini just landed...

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I believe that in most European countries you are allowed to fly anything up to 250gr without much fuss... provided you stay below 30m... don't run risk of hurting life or property and adhere to privacy guidelines. That is... until you start rolling the camera... then suddenly you're no longer flying for the flight itself (rc model flying) but to capture footage. Then you still need to adhere to all the UAV rules and legislation regardless of the fact it's 249gr only.

And to have the videos straight in here:

Thanks for that link. Haven't been up-to-date with drone legislation for the last year or 2. Used to be a nice grey area... and people (and even police) were interested with what the hell you were flying. Now... it's an nuisance to people or worse... instils fear in them. Of course there were the ones that didn't act responsible... and as usual, the few spoil it for the many.

Well, you're right considering the price and the tech available today. But let's not forget they add wings for such price as well you have no need of more than that to have a balanced pristine cinematic outcome if you're going after of so sacred grail : -)

To be honest the tiny form factor seduces me at a certain point I tend to overcome any shortcomings. Even though there's no reason to not add 4K60p or log there, as you fairly complain. For a higher price, very likely.

The point with such low price is the open gates you have to produce stock footage or any other more prone to be able to end in the hands of inexperienced people you add to your crews. This brings me enthusiasm even if seen strictly under a business point of view if so.

I'll give you an example:

I have a team going to Himalayas in the same moment I am writing to you this. Go figure if not one, you're able to bring to your crew more than one unit as for instance. Follow me?

I also tend to pay attention to price because you can evaluate the potentiality of the gear beyond that.

Even more of an issue than no manual video exposure and no raw photos is the terrible wifi control implementation of DJI's cheaper drones; with the mavic air, for example, I was frequently unable to even fly more than 100 meters away without losing signal entirely. Orbiting around a building, for example, was completely out of the question. Even in direct line of sight, the signal is just terrible, not at all suitable for professional work in any way. Pity tho, the size is amazing, and 30 min flight time is more than enough. I would love to have just slightly upgraded specs in the same form factor, it would be perfect for traveling. 

F dji, they raised prices on year old products & STILL haven't updated their app so galaxy S10 owners can fly their drones.

It will be a year soon & you cant fly without it crashing your phone so hard it restarts. It's not like they dont know, there are hundreds of threads on their website about it & they respond to them with bull crap answers like: "we hope to include that in the future, thanks", "I'll pass this on to our development team". They had updated for the S8 & S9 fast. 

@Parker It is perfect for travelling ; ) Never forget, the best camera is the one you can have and use ; -)

@Snowbro They have no other contenders, that's why...

With such lovely promos becomes useless any Western complaints, so I invite you to use some other phone, it will save the colour of the hair intact : )

And here's the usual Justine (not the 1st time I find a worthy pinch of creative approach from her tech love on the potential of its use along her enjoyable reviews beyond her pleasant presence, truly American, a comfort to those who see the raising of Chinese as main high-tech suppliers of this planet today) :

...yet some other reviewer:

...from the usual suspects:

More footage:

Very light comparative flight footage:

Last but not least informative details on the product:

E : -)

Does it have cinelike? Log seems a bit useless on a tiny sensor like that. 

No manual controls is stupid though. Kind of a killer. 

I just got the Mavic Air and I think I'll be happy with it for now. 

Tech is not a limitation with drones, its just market segmentation. All DJI's drones should have 200mbps 10 bit imho. That said I am not as worried about color with drones, usually not dealing with skintones so you can get away with a lot more.

6 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Not bad at all? Phone do 4K60p for years. 2.7K is unacceptable. And no RAW picture. Only JPG. Clearly they do cripple their models like everybody now. Such a let down. Raw and 4K30P and it was an instand buy for me, even for $100 more. 

And no flat profile. F*** DJI. 

I'm more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt than others, given the goal was obviously to release a drone that went under the limits that would require licenses, e.t.c. When that is your goal some compromises must be made.

The lack of 4K, RAW images, custom options, e.t.c is unfortunate. If you need that stuff then this isn't the drone for you. I feel like people are increasingly spoiled and unable to grasp that last part: not every product released by these companies is for you, stop whining every time they release something that doesn't completely measure up to your specific needs. If you need 4K the Mavic Air can easily be had for about $100-150 more used, or about $200 more refurbished/open box.

But sure, fuck DJI, the company that has allowed people like us to actually afford drones. ?

As an addendum: $399 for a drone that weighs less than an iPhone, is pocketable, gives you the ability to fly pretty much anywhere without a license, with 30 minutes of flying time per battery, and in 2.7K seems like a pretty good deal to me. That's a pretty big technological leap forward, even if it lacks features I'd want out of a drone.

45 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt than others, given the goal was obviously to release a drone that went under the limits that would require licenses, e.t.c. When that is your goal some compromises must be made.

The lack of 4K, RAW images, custom options, e.t.c is unfortunate. If you need that stuff then this isn't the drone for you. I feel like people are increasingly spoiled and unable to grasp that last part: not every product released by these companies is for you, stop whining every time they release something that doesn't completely measure up to your specific needs. If you need 4K the Mavic Air can easily be had for about $100-150 more used, or about $200 more refurbished/open box.

But sure, fuck DJI, the company that has allowed people like us to actually afford drones. ?

As an addendum: $399 for a drone that weighs less than an iPhone, is pocketable, gives you the ability to fly pretty much anywhere without a license, with 30 minutes of flying time per battery, and in 2.7K seems like a pretty good deal to me. That's a pretty big technological leap forward, even if it lacks features I'd want out of a drone.

Lets see how much you love them when they won't add support for your phone (major flagship) and your drone is fucking useless for a year. They force you to buy their expensive screen controller. Fuck dji