Huge Resolve FPS audio sync cluster fuck / Begging for help!

hansel

Hey,

I am sure some one is smarter than me but I have a general failure of understanding how to handle multiple framerates in Resolve 15 (in the same project). The way they SET fps in the beginning is totally retarded, they should do this for timelines but not projects.

Here is the Setting:
Event shoot, different cameras, different framerate, several Interviews = audio sync-up cluster fuck. Export should be 25fps, How do you do this?

So I started an "interview bits" project that needs to be 50 otherwise the audio does not sync up. Matched the audio with the 50fps easy no trouble. Now I can only export in the same framerate. But I would also like to put b-roll (different fps) over it and so on...

I mean the main trouble I am having is that I would like my project setting to be 25fps and work with several timelines (different fps) to then bring together a fine piece of 25fps. It seems that my only two options are:
1.convert clips to same fps with Handbreak etc. beforehand and hope audio sync works later. or
2. to start three different projects 25fps, 50fps and 59,94fps export the respective clips an then try to muddle it up in the 25fps project, which seems bad practice imho....

How would you go about this? Any experience in this?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, hansel said:

Hey,

I am sure some one is smarter than me but I have a general failure of understanding how to handle multiple framerates in Resolve 15 (in the same project). The way they SET fps in the beginning is totally retarded, they should do this for timelines but not projects.

Here is the Setting:
Event shoot, different cameras, different framerate, several Interviews = audio sync-up cluster fuck. Export should be 25fps, How do you do this?

So I started an "interview bits" project that needs to be 50 otherwise the audio does not sync up. Matched the audio with the 50fps easy no trouble. Now I can only export in the same framerate. But I would also like to put b-roll (different fps) over it and so on...

I mean the main trouble I am having is that I would like my project setting to be 25fps and work with several timelines (different fps) to then bring together a fine piece of 25fps. It seems that my only two options are:
1.convert clips to same fps with Handbreak etc. beforehand and hope audio sync works later. or
2. to start three different projects 25fps, 50fps and 59,94fps export the respective clips an then try to muddle it up in the 25fps project, which seems bad practice imho....

How would you go about this? Any experience in this?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I've worked with multiple frame rates in Resolve for a while now, so I'll see if I can help.

This is my understanding of how it works and how I use it.

I start with a Project at the same frame rate that I want the finished video to have, for me this is 25fps.  Then I create one (or more) timelines in that project, and they will default to the same frame rate.  In v16 (which I am using now) you can also change frame rates on timelines individually through Timeline Settings and there's a button that lets you customise them individually.

Then I just drag all the clips onto the timeline.  When you do this, Resolve puts them all on the timeline in real-time, ie, if you recorded in 50p and drag it to a 25p timeline the video will play in real-time.  If you exported that then the output video would have every second frame of the 50p clip.  If you want to slow the 50p down to 25p (and therefore play at 50% speed) then you can do that on the timeline through Clip Speed, as well as the various speed ramp type functions.  I believe you can also set the speed in the clip in the Media Pool and then when you add it to the timeline it goes in there at 50% normal speed, but that's not how I work.

In terms of sound, when you have a clip on the timeline that isn't at real-time then Resolve does a time-stretch on the audio automatically.  The effect is good but has its limits.

In terms of syncing sound I've never really tried to do it so can't comment on that part.  

The way that Resolve displays FPS all through this scenario is rubbish and completely confusing, so I ignore FPS on everything except the Project, Timeline, and Source Clip.  If I'm doing anything that involves all three of those not matching then I work in percentages.

When exporting you can just set the export settings to your target output frame rate and it should work.  I haven't tried to output a different frame rate than my Timeline so there might be issues there that I'm not aware of, but that's what's worked for me.

Hope this helps!

BTW: why did you film an interview in 50p?

Hey kye,

thanks for the support! I will try to play around with timeline settings although I think they have advanced the whole fps thing with version 16, which is good!

I have gone the Handbreak way now which works. The problem I ran into was that I could not sync audio to video ( I probably could have by changing indivdual clip speed and so on but...) normally I just match the clap at the beginning and that works fine. Maybe for anyone that reads this later there is also clip attributes which lets you change fps for a clip by right clicking on it.

Yeah, from what I have tried once frame rate is set you can't change it and have to export in that frame rate.

I know, should not have happended. But three different cameras, people not knowing that they are contributing to my editing, and then, the heat of the moment, running around doing b-roll and someone grabs you to get a quick interview with some one.

I read a hack about changing a timeline frame rate even after it's had clips added to it and has locked.

(save your project before doing this, and duplicate the timeline as a double-backup, but this is how I remember it going...)

Highlight everything on the timeline, edit->cut, go to the timeline setting for framerate (which should have now unlocked) and change it, then paste everything back in.  I've tried it with very simple projects (like, when you add a few clips and then remember) and it worked, but not sure for anything more complicated.

and yes, I understand about other people choosing settings...  life is full of compromises sometimes!