Laowa 17mm f/1.8 MFT for US$149

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Cinegain said:

If you look at the jumps from GH2 - GH4 - GH5 and now the GH5S/BMPCC4K, there's no doubt in my mind that the GH6-series will be a very special and capable camera. I don't even want to go and switch to APS-C or FF-mount ecosystems.

You forgot to mention Z Cam E2 / E2C / S6!

4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

You forgot to mention Z Cam E2 / E2C / S6!

Solid point! Saw them at IBC. Had the early E1 and thought the new gen was more for tethered and frankenrigged shooting. But he proved me wrong. It can still be kept small and nimble! Great folks too, btw.

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

boat either yet, maybe an X-H2 could change that, but I doubt it. If you look at the jumps from GH2 - GH4 - GH5 and now the GH5S/BMPCC4K, there's no doubt in my mind that the GH6-series will be a very special and capable camera. I don't even want to go and switch to APS-C or FF-mount ecosystems.

I’m invested in MFT at the moment. I think the yelling and screaming about the death of MFT is partisan format bullshit. I like the trade offs of the system. Newer technology is making sensor size less of a “compromise” so I look forward to seeing what’s next in this format and I reckon the GH6 will push the envelope yet again.

Fujifilm is also doing great stuff with their medium format and APS-C stuff. It’s a great time to be a camera nerd.

15 hours ago, kye said:

What focal lengths do you have / use?

I have the Sigma 16mm 1.4 currently and then the Panasonic 20mm 1.7, and the Panasonic 25mm 1.7. I'm just not sure I'd have much use for a 17mm between those 3 primes.

The Laowa 7.5 and 9mm are ones I'm looking at for real estate/landscaper work, since I sold my Panasonic 7-14 (lovely lens but I hate the design.) I've got a Rokinon 12mm T2.2 lens that's doing the trick for right now, but i definitely need some wider lenses. 

9 hours ago, Jonathan422 said:

Is Laowa a generally good brand? Hard to keep up with all the companies.

My understanding was that they were pretty good.  I have been looking at the 7.5mm F2 and read a bunch of reviews and they seemed ok.  I guess do some reading..

3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I have the Sigma 16mm 1.4 currently and then the Panasonic 20mm 1.7, and the Panasonic 25mm 1.7. I'm just not sure I'd have much use for a 17mm between those 3 primes.

The Laowa 7.5 and 9mm are ones I'm looking at for real estate/landscaper work, since I sold my Panasonic 7-14 (lovely lens but I hate the design.) I've got a Rokinon 12mm T2.2 lens that's doing the trick for right now, but i definitely need some wider lenses. 

Oh, I don't know..  think about those times when you've got the 16mm on and you just want to get in a bit tighter..  but can't take half a step forwards.....  and can't crop in post...... and......  yes, makes sense you've got the range pretty well covered.   I was just watching a video this morning from DSLR Video Shooter and was reminded that he loves the Sigma 16/1.4.

I'm looking at the 7.5mm F2 as a replacement for my 8mm F4 SLR Magic drone lens which works fine but the ergonomics are rubbish as it's a drone lens.  The extra couple of stops of exposure wouldn't go astray either for night-time city-scapes.

4 minutes ago, kye said:

My understanding was that they were pretty good.  I have been looking at the 7.5mm F2 and read a bunch of reviews and they seemed ok.  I guess do some reading..

Oh, I don't know..  think about those times when you've got the 16mm on and you just want to get in a bit tighter..  but can't take half a step forwards.....  and can't crop in post...... and......  yes, makes sense you've got the range pretty well covered.   I was just watching a video this morning from DSLR Video Shooter and was reminded that he loves the Sigma 16/1.4.

I'm looking at the 7.5mm F2 as a replacement for my 8mm F4 SLR Magic drone lens which works fine but the ergonomics are rubbish as it's a drone lens.  The extra couple of stops of exposure wouldn't go astray either for night-time city-scapes.

Those Sigma lenses are absolutely lovely and a steal. My only complaint is they're a little big but I'm guessing that's because it just uses a different mount than their other versions and is essentially the same exact lens. Fine by me if it means they keep releasing M43 lenses! 

Most Laowa reviews I've seen have been positive and the images look very nice. I was in kind of the same position, with the Panasonic 7-14 f4. It's a very nice lens, but I hated the inability to put filters on, and just felt uncomfortable with the front of the lens. Those extra stops will be quite welcome, as will the standard lens form factor!