MFT Lenses On Sony E Mount Cameras

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Thought about doing it?

Nope, me neither.

Except.....I've been thinking quite a lot about the Meike cine primes over the past couple of weeks and the slight sticking point of them being tied into the MFT lens mount cameras.

Its not a massive deal breaker particularly as there are no shortage of great options to mount them on but as someone who also owns a couple of E mount cameras, it would be nice to have the versatility of being able to use them on those too, albeit it in APS-C mode.

The Veydras, which the Meike lenses are "closely associated" with, did have an E mount option IIRC but the new ones don't.

Which got me thinking about whether, as there is some flange distance to play with, there was an MFT to E mount adapter available and it turns out that there is one made by Pixco so £18 later, I now have it and here it is.

527029052_MFTTOE001.thumb.jpg.ffe916c783e19e6f6299cd67f263224b.jpg

As there isn't a massive amount of flange distance to play with (1.25mm) then the adapter is understandably quite thin yet doesn't particularly feel flimsy but I did find that when changing lenses its better to dismount the lens with the adapter attached and then re-attach it to the next lens as its a bit fiddly to lift the locking pin release on the adapter.

Now the first thing to say is, other than to just try that it works, there is absolutely no point in mounting an electronic MFT lens such as this.

34798954_MFTTOE002.thumb.jpg.c273a9f0b03da8c77379eb8c0e535dce.jpg

You will have absolutely no control of the aperture, focus and in most cases the lens will not fill the sensor.

So, absolutely pointless and probably explains why there is no particularly buoyant market in making these adapters ;)

Of course, for our purposes, of mounting manual only MFT lenses to it then it works perfectly.

That doesn't just go for the Meike lenses but of course for any manual lens such as Voigtlander, Samyang, 7Artisans etc.

Its worth checking but most of these lenses are usually originally made for APS-C so even in MFT mount they will have enough coverage.

Where things get really interesting for me though, and I suspect for people with both MFT and E mount systems is being able to re-utilise existing MFT adapters.

For me, these range from an obvious one such as PL...

1136350152_MFTTOE003.thumb.jpg.8f55f9c58503f987e855757b93ac72fb.jpg

To being able to use my Nikon F/G to MFT speed booster which with its integral aperture lever control is so much more usable than having to use a Canon version with a thin F adapter on it and the fiddly aperture lever.

655264430_MFTTOE004.thumb.jpg.5ec05a5e51e83cf6b2a7380586c3b00c.jpg

Next up is being able to mount the Vizelex Lens Throttle Variable ND adapter to make a compact fast swappable full frame system with vintage primes.

1530065070_MFTTOE005.thumb.jpg.1ed2cfaed0de1111278afbfdec72e99c.jpg

Last but not least is being able to use Aputure DEC Lens Regain on the A6500 to speedboost Canon lenses and have electronic follow focus control.

500971122_MFTTOE006.thumb.jpg.5e8bdd5014d3758643eb6ec0b973e164.jpg

OK, so most of these things can be done with dedicated E mount versions of these adapters but the biggest issue is the additional cost of buying them all again if you run both systems.

That £18 adapter (which I had no idea existed ) has saved well over £1000 in additional adapters for the E mount cameras.

Using my warped justification logic, that means I am now legally entitled to buy two of the Meike primes as I will still be £250 up on the deal ;) 

Seriously though, for anyone who is moving from an MFT to E mount system or who has E mount cameras and never had MFT but wants to take advantage of the usually less expensive and more widely available MFT versions of adapters available used then its definitely worth splashing out the £18 for one of these.

Ditto for anyone who has a Z mount system as Pixco also make an MFT to Z mount adapter with which you can do the same tricks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
8 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Yeah thats what set me off on this as it didn't seem to be all the lenses in the set and it also would have tied me in to E mount without a user swappable mount to MFT.

To be honest, even a user swappable mount would be more hassle than this mount adapter particularly as my rather clumsy mechanical skills would no doubt lead me to break something in the process ;)

On 10/27/2019 at 12:44 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Except.....I've been thinking quite a lot about the Meike cine primes over the past couple of weeks and the slight sticking point of them being tied into the MFT lens mount cameras.

Its not a massive deal breaker particularly as there are no shortage of great options to mount them on but as someone who also owns a couple of E mount cameras, it would be nice to have the versatility of being able to use them on those too, albeit it in APS-C mode.

The Veydras, which the Meike lenses are "closely associated" with, did have an E mount option IIRC but the new ones don't.

It is easily BY FAR the biggest downside of the Meike cine lenses vs the old Veydra lenses (which were very appealing!). 

On 10/27/2019 at 12:44 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Ditto for anyone who has a Z mount system as Pixco also make an MFT to Z mount adapter with which you can do the same tricks.

Only one DX Z Mount camera however, the Nikon Z50 (which has got strangely very very little discussion on this forum???). 

• Super Members
11 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Only one DX Z Mount camera however, the Nikon Z50 (which has got strangely very very little discussion on this forum???). 

The FX cameras do have an APS-C crop mode in video so it is workable on those.

I'm guessing the Z50 would get more attention if it had the "one day soon, absolutely certainly definitely soon probably" ProResRAW option.

Based on their non-delivery of it for the Z6, they might as well have said it had it too ;) 

I used to use M43 lenses on E mount with a couple of those adapters...pointless mostly and many will not even mount to the thin (and sharp) adapters.    I could not for instance mount my cheap and nasty "Light Cannon" focal reducer on it at all and I suspect many other adapters would be the same.

One lens that did and was kind of fun was the Olympus body cap "lens" (there are a couple.).      If you use a little clear zoom (video and jpegs) you can remove the vignetting in APSC mode and also in FF mode but with more clear zoom.       In fact, I thought the Body cap lens was BETTER on my A7s/A7 than on my GX7......again, just some fun and the lens ain't that good.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, noone said:

I used to use M43 lenses on E mount with a couple of those adapters...pointless mostly and many will not even mount to the thin (and sharp) adapters. 

Were they the Pixco ones ?

As I intend to buy a few of them, I'm wondering whether I just got a good one as I had no problem mounting a load of different lenses as well as all the adapters !

Yeah, as I said in the original post, using the native electronic ones is completely futile but as a way of getting manual lenses like the Meike's to double up for MFT and E mount APS-C these ones are a good proposition for me.

I can't find a PL to E mount adapter less than £160 so being able to re-purpose my PL to MFT adapter for roughly a tenth of that price is a big win for me ;) 

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Were they the Pixco ones ?

I have no idea.      I just got cheap ones I could find on ebay.      I still have them but no M43 lenses or cameras.

I just like to experiment and i love trying things people tell me I can not do.    I did not try that many lenses and adapters with it but the only one I really liked was the Body cap lens,...jut a bit of fun.     I can see how it would possibly work for you though.      Good luck with it!