Jim Jannard steps down from RED

Mako Sports

Retires and shuts down the hydrogen project.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/10/25/reds-jim-jannard-retires-shuts-down-hydrogen/

Sounds like bs, all of the bad press as of recent is far to much stress for a 70 yo man.

Once they loose the raw patent it should only take a handful of years before they officially close their doors.

Its what they get for years of shadow business practices and being the big bad bully.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

He has billions in the bank so I'm sure he will be fine.

Given that he alludes to health issues, that comment is rather disingenuous?

Not a surprise that Hydrogen is being terminated. The non-release of the modules and, crucially, the lack of other viewing devices was always going to be a problem.

Komodo must be about the same price as the new Canon... different markets perhaps but comparisons are inevitable? 

No matter a few passions of our own, I only think people should take a better scope on their human nature. No one is above that. Not even a single industry made by man. Technology is made by man. Economy too. So, includes that one. There are no endless ones. I find certain comments disingenuous but in all its extent to be rather honest over there.

• Administrators

While in Berlin earlier this month, I bought a Hydrogen, to see what it's like.

Graeme Nattress and his engineering team at RED are good guys, what they achieved is and always will remain special.

The Hydrogen has nice colour science by Nattress in 4K video and stills mode.

It's got an interesting design, stands out around normal smartphones. I'll keep hold of it and maybe cover it on the blog some day.

The 3D effect was not for me. Interesting technology, but some years off having the impact I expected from it.

28 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

While in Berlin earlier this month, I bought a Hydrogen, to see what it's like.

Graeme Nattress and his engineering team at RED are the good guys, what they achieved is and always will remain special.

The Hydrogen has nice colour science by Nattress in 4K video and stills mode.

It's got an interesting design, stands out around normal smartphones. I'll keep hold of it and maybe cover it on the blog some day.

The 3D effect was not for me. Interesting technology, but some years off having the impact I expected from it.

I'd be interested in reading about it.  Partly because with all the hype, cryptic teaser media releases, and my general lack of interest, I still don't actually know what it is or what it does, apart from underwhelm people!

Hopefully the RAW patent will be a lost suit, and RED will miraculously turn honest, and work towards a wider reach for its products. RED could never have succeeded with Hydrogen because it attempted to beat Apple and Samsung at a game they themselves are losing. Also to assume that last generation smartphone sensors and processors can equal or beat much larger cameras was ludicrous to begin with.

Smartphone Sensors and Computational Photography will improve substantially in 2020. Also I am guessing if RED loses the compressed RAW suit, the chances of smartphones moving from the present 10-bit 422 to compressed RAW is also pretty high. 

20 minutes ago, kye said:

I'd be interested in reading about it.  Partly because with all the hype, cryptic teaser media releases, and my general lack of interest, I still don't actually know what it is or what it does, apart from underwhelm people!

No surprises. The phone flopped and was voted worst tech of the year by some publications. No way he could compete with the big dogs on any kind of level. The resale value has plummeted and this won't help. 

33 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

No surprises. The phone flopped and was voted worst tech of the year by some publications. No way he could compete with the big dogs on any kind of level. The resale value has plummeted and this won't help. 

Wasn't it meant to somehow integrate with their cinema cameras?  Or be able to take their accessories?  I recall it had some kind of accessory port and the implication was that you could take the RED accessories and rig up the phone, either so that the phone was attached to a camera or that the phone was the camera but with extra bits attached.

So much of the promise was that it wasn't really a phone, but would actually be modular in some way?

red-hydrogen-one-1.png&w=728

What was the port actually for?

23 minutes ago, kye said:

What was the port actually for?

The pogo pins on the back? The plan was to produce a module which added a much higher quality camera. Although there was an early photo of the unit, it was never revealed exactly what the module would be or do. In reality they didn’t do anything.

Possibly an attachment to monitor Komodo?

Ι just don't want to imagine what our cine world would be without Jannard and his dream.

When Sony was asking more than 100k$ for a 2k cine camera and Jim delivered an -unfinished and unprepared but marvellous- camera for 15k$ ....

He was one of our breed's pioneers whether we like it or not.

I really respect him and owe him a lot .

Before anyone gets too misty eyed remember this is the same person who bullied employees for whistle blowing against Lance Armstrong and threatened news sites with law suits for being critical. He is also the master of hype and could just as easily have stubbed his toe as be facing real medical problems. 

5 hours ago, sanveer said:

I am guessing if RED loses the compressed RAW suit, the chances of smartphones moving from the present 10-bit 422 to compressed RAW is also pretty high. 

Maybe in a few select offerings but 98% of the smartphone market wouldn't be interested - even I wouldn't because there's just no point when you're making so many compromises, especially in low light where you can see image breakdown so fast even using Filmic Extreme bitrates (~130Mbps HEVC) on the latest iPhone.  

HEVC and HEIF are really quite good for best-of-both-worlds size vs quality on phones, especially considering cloud storage and data speeds - it's why I actually love that Canon is going to offer HEIF on the new 1DX MkIII.

I agree with the rest of what you're saying though :)