Canon 1DX III, FF 4k60p with 422 10bit internal

ntblowz

• Administrators

No need to buy a faulty Blackmagic Pocket any more.

And this pocket cinema camera actually ships on time.

Cinema DNG is real raw, the results are incredible.

Full frame... can't do without it.

Very adaptable lens mount, more so than EF on Pocket 6K.

Screen is visible in daylight...always a bonus ;)

Autofocus can sort you out a quick shot in RAW but is not bullet proof... I am looking forward to putting manual focus Leica M lenses on my Fp, personally... More cinematic than autofocus material will ever be.

It has a very good E-stabilisation mode. Locks down an image. Crops-in quite a lot, but makes nice alternative to a Super 35mm mode

Colour profiles are cinematic as hell. Orange & Teal is not "overdone", it's very sexy indeed.

Ergonomics are almost Leica-like in simplicity and responsiveness.

Very good menus.

Very snappy and responsive to use.

It is the size of a Sony RX1

And about as heavy... weighs nothing!! The build quality however leaves absolutely nought to be desired, it is as solid as a rock and feels expensive. All the controls have a camera-feel to them, unlike the RX1

Is a bit smaller than a Leica Q but feels even better made.

Mounting holes on side of the body are nice pro touch.

And there is no consumer junk in the menus, and no mode dial. Does not feel like a toy, feels made for artists.

No mechanical shutter, so it's completely silent.

Uses same battery as our favourite GH2!! Keeps the size down. Amazingly, it shoots 4K RAW on the GH2's little battery... Think about that :)

The 40mm F2.8 has the rendering of something faster, looks more like an F2... Very well made, lovely metal casing and manual aperture ring, yet keeps the size down to RX1 / Leica Q proportions when attached. Not tried my EF lenses on the MC adapter yet. Will be interesting to see how the IS handles.

Oh, and it has a Sensor Temperature readout in the Info menus...

Mine's at 31 degrees Celsius ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Django said:

I'm talking about the difference in between 10-bit compressed and 12-bit RAW. The leap there is pretty staggering.

have a look at 10:35 the amount of recovery he can bring back is kinda insane. in any 10-bit compressed camera that over exposed data would be gone!

Ah, well, if we're comparing RAW to compressed anything then it's a different ballgame!

In terms of that highlight recovery - I'm not convinced.  More likely the camera was shooting the first thing but the ISO settings that the camera recorded in metadata would have blown the image all to hell, then the NLE gets the file, applies the ISO blowing the highlights well and truly, then you adjust them down and voila - the signal that was recorded.  This protects against camera operator error, but not if you actually blow out the image.  Try shooting in full sun wide open without an ND at base ISO then try and "recover" the file...  12-bit won't save that!!

While the 1DX Mark III isn't exactly what I'd want in a camera, it is close. A bit smaller (S1 size), non-fixed screen, and the RF Mount would make this an instant buy for me. Canon's image and color (especially it's raw image from the C200 and (soon) C500) is just so freaking good. 

But it does seem like the C500 II non-crippling wasn't a fluke, because they are packing the 1DX with some serious features as well. Looks like Canon could be shaking up for an order that looks something like this:

C500 II - 6k 60fps full-frame, raw internal, 10-bit 422
C300 III - 4k 120fps, full-frame, raw internal, 10-bit 422 (everything the C500 does, but no 6K. OR everything the c500 does but still Super35) - Hopefully with an RF Mount option.
C200 II - 4k 60fps AND the 10-bit 422 codec the C200 was missing, super35 sensor, RF Mount and closer to C100 size.

1DX Mark III - 4k 60fps, raw internal, 10-bit 422, full-frame readout. Maaaaybe 6k.
5D Mark V - 4k 60fps, 10-bit 422, full-frame (no raw)

EOS R PRO -  Same as 5D V, IBIS. 

--

If Canon can fully re-organize their entire lineup in 2020 to match something like or to just keep going down the same path they have started with the C500 and 1DX Mark III, they will be in good shape. But, in my opinion, they need to start giving us the RF-Mount options on all camera models as soon as possible. Or at least launch equivalent camera models with the RF Mount. Their RF lenses are just too friggin good and all have stabilization, which is huge to have on . a 15-35mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f2.8 for video (something their EF counterparts do not have).

2020 might be a very exciting year for Canon. It's been awhile, so here's hoping. 

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

[snip...]

We are truly spoiled for choice lately. The sigma fp looks very interesting. It's like they made this thing for the indie film guys. I actually appreciate the size. It makes the P4K/6K almost a meme. Although, this thing on those faster and huge Sigma L mount lenses kinda looks silly too.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:58 PM, kye said:

I'm curious about why it has to be FF?

I like the FF look, but with great lenses that is possible on APSC or MFT, and when you factor in the price of this camera, the best lenses money can buy aren't actually that much money.

Because I use the camera equally for photography, I need maximum possible dynamic range for landscapes as well as low noise for astrophotography. 
It doesn’t exist in APSC either anyway, XT3 has no IBIS. 

well, as someone cynical once wrote on this board many years ago (me), canon IS coming out with a 4k raw shooting camera... for $6k+ in 2020 ?

still...

...used prices should get aggressive on this thing pretty fast ?

/stoked on the sigma~! looks v cool

14 hours ago, Mokara said:

The crops used on those cameras are because the processors used do not have the processing bandwidth to the extent that would be necessary to cover the full width of the sensor. It has nothing to do with the sensors actual size or resolution. If the processors could handle the oversampling required, then the camera would have no crop factor.

It shouldn‘t be so difficult to understand this: I am talking about the SIZE of the crop all the time. Scroll back and read again. 
And my point still stands: the SIZE of the crop IS determined by the sensors total resolution.

What you are doing is talking about WHY there is a crop at all. 

Maybe we can at least agree that we aren‘t talking about the same thing? 

4 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

My Baby is Netflixx APRROVED mkay! autofocus is for amateurs ?

but yah i have to give it to Canon they really nailed the PDAF technology 

Let's see your pro content, I'm 100% sure it looks amateur. 

The Canon DPAF has been proven in professional settings & can be relied on if you do not have a focus puller (budget). No pro focus puller could even compete with this in it's intended environments. This isnt an A cam for a big budget film & neither is your panasonic/bm or whatever amateur toy you own. 

I've seen these 1D bodies get dropped in lakes, fished out & still work. Dropped out of moving vehicles etc. Still fine. It is a professional camera and wasn't built from the ground up as a cinema camera. 

24 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Let's see your pro content, I'm 100% sure it looks amateur. 

The Canon DPAF has been proven in professional settings & can be relied on if you do not have a focus puller (budget). No pro focus puller could even compete with this in it's intended environments. This isnt an A cam for a big budget film & neither is your panasonic/bm or whatever amateur toy you own. 

I've seen these 1D bodies get dropped in lakes, fished out & still work. Dropped out of moving vehicles etc. Still fine. It is a professional camera and wasn't built from the ground up as a cinema camera. 

Here you go Now shows your work 

This one was shot by my brother & i done the edit 

20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

No need to buy a faulty Blackmagic Pocket any more.

And this pocket cinema camera actually ships on time.

Cinema DNG is real raw, the results are incredible.

Full frame... can't do without it.

Very adaptable lens mount, more so than EF on Pocket 6K.

Screen is visible in daylight...always a bonus ;)

Autofocus can sort you out a quick shot in RAW but is not bullet proof... I am looking forward to putting manual focus Leica M lenses on my Fp, personally... More cinematic than autofocus material will ever be.

It has a very good E-stabilisation mode. Locks down an image. Crops-in quite a lot, but makes nice alternative to a Super 35mm mode

Colour profiles are cinematic as hell. Orange & Teal is not "overdone", it's very sexy indeed.

Ergonomics are almost Leica-like in simplicity and responsiveness.

Very good menus.

Very snappy and responsive to use.

It is the size of a Sony RX1

And about as heavy... weighs nothing!! The build quality however leaves absolutely nought to be desired, it is as solid as a rock and feels expensive. All the controls have a camera-feel to them, unlike the RX1

Is a bit smaller than a Leica Q but feels even better made.

Mounting holes on side of the body are nice pro touch.

And there is no consumer junk in the menus, and no mode dial. Does not feel like a toy, feels made for artists.

No mechanical shutter, so it's completely silent.

Uses same battery as our favourite GH2!! Keeps the size down. Amazingly, it shoots 4K RAW on the GH2's little battery... Think about that :)

The 40mm F2.8 has the rendering of something faster, looks more like an F2... Very well made, lovely metal casing and manual aperture ring, yet keeps the size down to RX1 / Leica Q proportions when attached. Not tried my EF lenses on the MC adapter yet. Will be interesting to see how the IS handles.

Oh, and it has a Sensor Temperature readout in the Info menus...

Mine's at 31 degrees Celsius ?

It does look good, but the lack of 50/60p in 4K kills it for me. I've found that you can shoot handheld in 60p with 4k/6k res & stabilize it extremely well in post. Looks better than any ibis I've tried. 

1 minute ago, Rinad Amir said:

Thank you @snowbro means alot and dont get too attacked by my last post i was only taking piss ?

This 1DxMiii is on my radar too u know )

I recognized & teased back. I wasnt worried haha.

3 hours ago, Sid said:

How might 1DXMk3 heat manangement compare ? Does Mk2 have an internal fan of any kind ?  (I think Panasonic S1H has a very silent fan, and Sigma FP is a fanless design).

Extremely well, never remotely came close to overheating. I couldn't even feel the Mark II heat up 

It's been mentioned, but not enough: RF is the superior mount choice because of the advantages that the short flange distance offers to lens design. Plus Canon has good EF adapters.

Here's hoping for a pro R body with similar video specs to the 1DXmk3! (Not getting my hopes up...)

Also, just because you have good AF doesn't mean you need to use it. I love my S1 and have the DJI focus motor on my Ronin-S which is great for manual focus! But there are lots of occasions (such as tracking in on an object and approaching MFD) where good AF would do a better job than I do. But the S1's AF sucks.

PS: Cinema5D has the FP's dynamic range pegged at 11.3 stops - 1 stop under what the S1 can do. Hardly an amazing result but not surprising since Sigma said it would have only 12.5. Cinema5D also said it has moire. https://***URL not allowed***/sigma-fp-camera-first-impression-sample-footage-and-lab-test-results/

3 hours ago, abehalpert said:

It's been mentioned, but not enough: RF is the superior mount choice because of the advantages that the short flange distance offers to lens design. Plus Canon has good EF adapters.

Well some one should tell Canon because their new RF lenses are heavier and bigger than their EF lenses.

Case and point:

EF 24-70 805grams 3.48 x 4.45" / 88.5 x 113 mm

RF 24-70 900grams 3.48 x 4.95" / 88.5 x 125.7 mm

The RF does have OIS so I’m not sure how much that effects the size. The weight increase can be forgiven I guess.