Phantoms (Suspense/Horror Short)

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think it could've been a lot shorter. In fact it probably could've started at the 4:00 mark - not because it doesn't hold your attention, but because there's nothing we see before that which tells us anything we need to know. All it does is raise confusing questions like "why does a college-age girl live alone on what appears to be an industrial-level farm?" and "why does this person keep a baseball bat right next to the front door" (especially as they seem to live in rural Europe?), and "what type of monster uses single-use water bottles in 2019?".

Where the heck you get 'rural Europe' from? xD She's driving an SUV through cornfields. In Europe, she would've been on public transport commuting through the city. Also, in Europe ain't noone got a stove, light switches and powersockets like that.

Back OT. Spoiler alert. Guess someone didn't want her to have that baby. Not sure why though, if you've been made, you wouldn't try to get some answers 'who are you!? What are you doing here?! What do you want from me?!'... although, could be that she just wasn't expecting a reply to come out of the dude's mouth (without one). Typical 'yeah, we should definitely split up'-move ditching the scissors and then go sit in front of an open window. lolz.

That one shot kinda reminded me of Courage the Cowardly Dog (who lives in 'Nowhere').

qXJOUx4.gif

Ah... the nostalgia.

18 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

I think it could've been a lot shorter. In fact it probably could've started at the 4:00 mark - not because it doesn't hold your attention, but because there's nothing we see before that which tells us anything we need to know. All it does is raise confusing questions like "why does a college-age girl live alone on what appears to be an industrial-level farm?" and "why does this person keep a baseball bat right next to the front door" (especially as they seem to live in rural Europe?), and "what type of monster uses single-use water bottles in 2019?".

Well, I don't know about you, but if I was a college-age girl living alone on an industrial farm I would definitely keep a baseball bat next to my front door!  You never know what the yokels will do when they get all liquored up!!

13 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Thanks for your feedback! The theme for me was the anxiety and dread of becoming a new parent. The blank face was sorta being afraid of something that you can't understand.

I definitely thought about just starting at 4:00 (and I still might make a cut starting there as a straight horror short).

Ah! The Rosemary's Baby reference makes more sense with that explanation.

I'm not offering a criticism and saying the subtext should be made so obvious. I'm just making conversation. I've only watched it once and didn't analyze it too deeply.

I thought it looked great! Can I ask which shots were the BMPCC6K?

9 hours ago, billdoubleu said:

Ah! The Rosemary's Baby reference makes more sense with that explanation.

I'm not offering a criticism and saying the subtext should be made so obvious. I'm just making conversation. I've only watched it once and didn't analyze it too deeply.

I thought it looked great! Can I ask which shots were the BMPCC6K?

Thanks. The BMPCC6k was used on all of the cornfield exteriors (except for the sunset farm shot, which was the Dragon X.)