Swap Voigtlander 17.5/42.5 combo for PL10-25/1.7?

sgreszcz

Hey there, 

Normally I shoot local events with my GH5 + PL12-60/2.8-4 and PL25/1.4 lenses for outdoor stuff, and Voigtlander 17.5/42.5 pair (plus Laowa 10mm/2) for indoor or lower-light/slower stuff.

I realise now I could substitute most of these lenses with the single PL10-25/1.7 zoom (I would keep my P42.5/1.7 and O75/1.8 for longer stuff).  Even though the lens is heavy, it would be lighter than carrying either of those two combinations and I wouldn't need to change lenses.  I think this might simplify my lens choices.  It will hurt to sell the Voigtlanders (although I already sold my 25mm).  I don't use them that often, but when I do I realise how lovely they make things look.

Anyone tried the Panasonic 10-25 yet?

Stephen

(I would probably keep the Laowa as it is so small and works great as a timelapse lens on my GX80)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I care a lot about the size and weight of my kit. Basically, if it's heavy or bulky it's probably going to stay home and I will use it less. I have the 10-25/1.7 and really enjoy having a lens that can go wider than the standard 12mm on a lot of zoom lenses. Quickly grabbing a wide and then a tight 50mm shot is fast and simple. Absolutely love the manual focus clutch (Panny should adopt this design going forward like Olympus). Build quality is excellent like most of the PL line. If the weight and size of your kit is a priority the 10-25/1.7 is a great addition.

People compare it a lot to the Speedbooster + Sigma 18-35mm combo but I think thats a bit myopic of a comparison as it disregards possible future (and better) MFT bodies with better AF. It's definitely a lighter setup (and more balanced) than the sigma as well. Which really matters when you need it on a gimbal or just have to carry it all day.

I would replace the 12-60 and the PL25/1.4 but keep at least the 42.5 Voigtlander. Those are nice, fast primes with character. GH5 has excellent IBIS so lack of OIS in the lens really won't be a problem.

In my opinion, for Panny MFT cameras and native glass, the holy trinity is the: PL 10-25/1.7, PL 42.5/1.2, PL 50-200/2.8-4

With the Olympus 12-100/4 for when you have only space for one lens.

On a side note: really looking forward to getting my GH5S on the new Weebill-S gimbal with this lens. Match made in heaven, maybe?

I have the 10-25. I've only had it a week now and i haven't had the chance to look at the results on 2 jobs I used it on but I really liked the feel of it. I got it to replace the Sigma 18-35 as it's native and lighter. I have kept my Voigtlanders as I feel they are complementary lenses, great for real low light, bokeh and a different look.

I love my Voigtlander 17.5mm and am thinking about buying more, but at the end of the day it's about what your priorities are.  If the zoom will help you get more shots, or capture the same moment in a better way (for example if you're not having to work around the fixed focal length) then maybe it's worth it for you to go to the PL zoom.

Will the slower 1.7 aperture give you the DoF you are looking for?

I personally like to shoot with primes over my 18-35 as I find the 18-35 too heavy as I hand-hold.  I don't mind the total lens weight as the other lenses are in my bag and not hurting my wrists, but you are likely on sticks so don't have these issues.

I'd suggest that the best way to answer is to get clear on your priorities and then see how the options stack up in light of what you're trying to achieve and how you're working.

Ultimately though, if you're able to capture a better shot then that is very likely to completely eclipse the small loss of IQ you get by changing lenses.  An average quality copy of a great subject is better than a high IQ copy of a boring final film!