GoPro Hero 8 worth buying?

IANWHITE

On 10/16/2019 at 6:00 PM, JudoSurfer said:

With GoPro Plus, the Media Mod and display Mod are $39 each.

the forum topic was about the eight. i presume the black being the pinnacle of the gopro line. most would aim for that

straight from the gopro website are the prices for the eight series accessories. these are the aussie prices of course. i did have a typo mistake in my earlier post, i misquoted us prices when ii meant aussie prices. If you can get those mods for $39 thats wonderful, and it really does prove just how much aussies are getting gouged at the retail level

gopro8.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/14/2019 at 3:21 PM, Cinegain said:

[..]

The HERO8 looks kinda dope. They offer a 'TradeUp' deal where any* camera that gets sent in (in any condition) gives you a 100 bucks off on the new HERO8 (or 50,- for HERO7). Actually earlier today just posted my old busted Fujifilm S8000fd that's got a bunch of glitches I managed to digg up from somewhere (they cover shipping).

There's also a GoPro Plus or something like that, a premium membership service for replacements, cloud storage and 50% off on accessories. One month free (then monthly/yearly billable). So... you take that month and get yourself the accessories you wanted (if Telesin over at AliExpress isn't much cheaper).

The MAX is looking interesting as well. But I'm a sucker for a gd deal and that one hasn't got any. ?

Ah, they've accepted my busted ass good for nothing Fuji and sent out the HERO8 BLK. Noice. Got rid off an old crap camera and saved me €100 in the progress, how Dutch of me. ?

5 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Ah, they've accepted my busted ass good for nothing Fuji and sent out the HERO8 BLK. Noice. Got rid off an old crap camera and saved me €100 in the progress, how Dutch of me. ?

lol. i guess thats a good deal if you can get it. I presume gopro are still making money maybe not as much, but still making money plus their probably counting on you buying accessories to bolster their margins and if you getting one of their cameras  its one less sale for a competitor.

apparently the trade up offer is for the us and eu, i just had a look on the website. I probably didn't need another one anyway.  I do have a nikon 950 that the serial cable that no longer works with, its not the cable as the digi-lapse controller cable doesn't work anymore either. it still takes nice inferred photos however even if they are 2.1 mp

let us know how well it works out for you, should probably keep an eye out on these things ?

On 10/16/2019 at 10:10 AM, JudoSurfer said:

Lens protectors are available from GoPro and other companies for the HERO8.  You also have the option of using the Protective Case (also comes with skeleton back door for improved audio).  Additionally, Polar Pro has also already released lens covers (although not clear, undoubtedly some other 3rd party manufacturers will).  Then there is also GoPro Plus which allows up to two camera replacements per year.

Yes, EIS is not great in low light, but the camera automatically adjust for this.  You don't need to turn it off (but feel free to if you want). 

So you're telling me the "fix" is to put another piece of cheap plastic in front of my GoPro8 to protect it, when previously I could just replace the glass?... sounds like a step backwards to me.

If you don't turn EIS off for afternoon/sunset, your footage is horrible (Hero 7), obviously you can leave it on if you want, same as you can put a protective lens in front of your camera if you want.

On 10/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, tweak said:

It would be an easy sell for the people and pros who actually want/need it. I'm sure DJI know this and they have the tech already so I'd say we are going to see it for sure, it's just a matter of when... I'd also be interested to see whether Gopro tries to fight back or not, I feel like they are on their last legs, but I could also be wrong. 

Agreed.  DJI already have the tech for sure. Not surprising at all that such big companys will have the tech that is many years ahead of the market. 

On 10/16/2019 at 3:56 PM, JudoSurfer said:

Osmo Action has inferior video quality and exposure balance, lacks GPS, ONLY has super cropped stabilization (vs HERO8 On, High, and Boost), does not have auto cloud uploading, has very limited language support for voice commands, lacks stabilization in 4:3, lacks Superview, doesn't offer 2/7K/120fps, has inferior audio, does not offer the much more efficient HEVC (which HERO8 not only has, but has at 100mbps, surpassing h.264 100mbs considerably), lacks live streaming, and has a poorer version of TimeWarp (stabilized Time Lapse).  When it come to actual video quality, Osmo Action doesn't even match HERO7 Black.  Considering the HERO8 has even better dynamic range and quality, the Osmo Action is far from competing with HERO8 Black (even without the Mods).

It's not surprising to me that being the newest one in the market, H8 has better performance than Osmo action in certain aspects, but I'm talking about the cost-performance here.  Every time GoPro drops a new product, the specs and performance sound super enticing, however after sometime, all the glitchy and freezing problems crop up. Haven't got a H8 yet, maybe H8 will have much better user exprience than any other products... But we'll see.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:56 AM, JudoSurfer said:

Osmo Action has inferior video quality and exposure balance, lacks GPS, ONLY has super cropped stabilization (vs HERO8 On, High, and Boost), does not have auto cloud uploading, has very limited language support for voice commands, lacks stabilization in 4:3, lacks Superview, doesn't offer 2/7K/120fps, has inferior audio, does not offer the much more efficient HEVC (which HERO8 not only has, but has at 100mbps, surpassing h.264 100mbs considerably), lacks live streaming, and has a poorer version of TimeWarp (stabilized Time Lapse).  When it come to actual video quality, Osmo Action doesn't even match HERO7 Black.  Considering the HERO8 has even better dynamic range and quality, the Osmo Action is far from competing with HERO8 Black (even without the Mods).

This is just specs comparison. In real life OSMO action works like a charm with acceptable image quality in Cine D while GoPro cameras where always glitchy and unreliable. I can't tell about the new GoPro as i don't have it but Hero 4, 5, 6 and 7 where simply unreliable. Those bugs where never resolved so i wouldn't expect the 8th version to be better. 

50 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

This is just specs comparison. In real life OSMO action works like a charm with acceptable image quality in Cine D while GoPro cameras where always glitchy and unreliable. I can't tell about the new GoPro as i don't have it but Hero 4, 5, 6 and 7 where simply unreliable. Those bugs where never resolved so i wouldn't expect the 8th version to be better. 

the 4 was ok for me, mind you i wasn't shooting marathons or anything. I did notice with the 6 there was a flare or sunspot with the original lens cover on the front which annoyed me. It is with some irony that i say i  have bought a battery eliminator for the 4 i own and the eight has now been released. Maybe i'll see some issues running the gopro for extended amounts of time. i will continue to use the four and six till something breaks i guess.

24 minutes ago, leslie said:

the 4 was ok for me, mind you i wasn't shooting marathons or anything. I did notice with the 6 there was a flare or sunspot with the original lens cover on the front which annoyed me. It is with some irony that i say i  have bought a battery eliminator for the 4 i own and the eight has now been released. Maybe i'll see some issues running the gopro for extended amounts of time. i will continue to use the four and six till something breaks i guess.

Some people have been using them for a longe time without serious issues. My worst experience was with the Hero 7. I lost almost a full day of shooting on a kayak. I had the latest firmware back then, a tested SD card formatted in the device and while everything seemed perfect the camera didn't record a single frame. Actually i pressed record many times as i didn't want to end up with a single file and i could see clearly the record status on the display.