Ronin S and X-T3 Settings

EphraimP

I finally updated the firmware on my Ronin S and am excited to finally be able to start/stop recordings with Ronin. However, when I plug the cable into the camera and turn it on, I get a USB symbol on the back screen and nothing else. When I go into the menu and select PC Connection USB tether shooting auto, I get a screen again, but the controls are locked off on the camera and the record button on the gimbal takes a photo, but doesn't start shooting video.

Does anyone know the proper settings to get these two devices playing nice together?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for the tip, androidland. That's too bad. I thought they'd added support for the S. It would have made sense to get the SC if I was buying new, but I've had the S for a while and was hoping to get that feature. I guess it's back to the wonky solution triggering record from on top of the camera. At least I figured out how to power the camera with the rss usb cable that came with my Ronin. It's a pretty annoying work-around, but here's a link to a video explaining how to do it (using the SC as the gimbal) that I found on YouTube. Explanation starts at 8:34: 

1 hour ago, EphraimP said:

Thanks for the tip, androidland. That's too bad. I thought they'd added support for the S. It would have made sense to get the SC if I was buying new, but I've had the S for a while and was hoping to get that feature. I guess it's back to the wonky solution triggering record from on top of the camera. At least I figured out how to power the camera with the rss usb cable that came with my Ronin. It's a pretty annoying work-around, but here's a link to a video explaining how to do it (using the SC as the gimbal) that I found on YouTube. Explanation starts at 8:34: 

Be careful and do tests. I had a problem using the DJI power supply via USB. All my data on the  two cards are erased by switching off/on the DJI to power the XT3 (like explain to 10mm15s in this video). Not all time but twice during my tests. I will never use this technique. And anyway now I have the cable fuji ronin sc to trigger rec on off.

I just velcro a USB C PD battery pack to mine. Then I don’t have to worry about anything and isn’t really much of an inconvenience to me. I would worried on those 10-12 hour filming days that I would draw too much power from my ronin-s anyway. I love that I never have to worry about taking a second battery for my ronin s as long as it is fully charged before we film.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:47 PM, BrunoCH said:

Be careful and do tests. I had a problem using the DJI power supply via USB. All my data on the  two cards are erased by switching off/on the DJI to power the XT3 (like explain to 10mm15s in this video). Not all time but twice during my tests. I will never use this technique. And anyway now I have the cable fuji ronin sc to trigger rec on off.

I appreciated your warning this weekend. I tested it out and didn't lose any clips, so I used it on my weekend shoot. Definitely didn't lose footage, but it didn't keep my X-T3 powered for the whole shoot so I had to switch to my handheld rig with a v-mount battery. I do have an Anker power bank I've used with it before. Seems kind of clunky to gaff it to the gimbal though.

23 hours ago, EphraimP said:

I appreciated your warning this weekend. I tested it out and didn't lose any clips, so I used it on my weekend shoot. Definitely didn't lose footage, but it didn't keep my X-T3 powered for the whole shoot so I had to switch to my handheld rig with a v-mount battery. I do have an Anker power bank I've used with it before. Seems kind of clunky to gaff it to the gimbal though.

I have a handle that comes out of the side of the Ronin s like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Acouto-Lightweight-Stabilizer-Extension-Ronin-S/dp/B07JB7H5XY/ref=sr_1_40?keywords=ronin+s+handle&qid=1571270768&sr=8-40

It gives me a flat surface on top that I just put a piece of velcro tape on and then velcro tape on the battery. I use the smaller anker battery which sits there perfectly and gives me about 4-5 hours. I will go through two obviously on a full day shoot, but never have any issues with it being awkward or falling it off, works really well.

38 minutes ago, steeped-prod said:

I have a handle that comes out of the side of the Ronin s like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Acouto-Lightweight-Stabilizer-Extension-Ronin-S/dp/B07JB7H5XY/ref=sr_1_40?keywords=ronin+s+handle&qid=1571270768&sr=8-40

It gives me a flat surface on top that I just put a piece of velcro tape on and then velcro tape on the battery. I use the smaller anker battery which sits there perfectly and gives me about 4-5 hours. I will go through two obviously on a full day shoot, but never have any issues with it being awkward or falling it off, works really well.

I have the SmallRig handle that mounts to the bottom of the Ronin. It has cutouts, so not a lot of space for something like velcro. I suppose if I really put my mind to it, I could come up with a solution. 

Speaking of running the camera off of usb power, has anyone had the experience of the battery running down over time, even though it was plugged into a power supply (usb or v-mount) that still had plenty of charge. I had that happen this weekend and the camera wouldn't run anymore. Luckily I had a dummy battery that plugged directly into the DC power of my v-mount battery plate.

8 hours ago, EphraimP said:

I have the SmallRig handle that mounts to the bottom of the Ronin. It has cutouts, so not a lot of space for something like velcro. I suppose if I really put my mind to it, I could come up with a solution. 

Speaking of running the camera off of usb power, has anyone had the experience of the battery running down over time, even though it was plugged into a power supply (usb or v-mount) that still had plenty of charge. I had that happen this weekend and the camera wouldn't run anymore. Luckily I had a dummy battery that plugged directly into the DC power of my v-mount battery plate.

I have noticed the main battery does lose charge slowly. I have never had it go all the way down though. I’ve never had the camera on longer than a couple hours straight though. My assumption is that there is still a trickle effect that pulls some charge from the main battery. If you ever shut off for some ugh between shots it negates the effect as the battery recharges off the power bank. I haven’t tested extensively though with how long it takes though. 

3 hours ago, steeped-prod said:

I have noticed the main battery does lose charge slowly. I have never had it go all the way down though. I’ve never had the camera on longer than a couple hours straight though. My assumption is that there is still a trickle effect that pulls some charge from the main battery. If you ever shut off for some ugh between shots it negates the effect as the battery recharges off the power bank. I haven’t tested extensively though with how long it takes though. 

+ @EphraimP

Concur. I've never had the camera run down when using a USB-C PD power supply. (I don't have the Anker, but something similar.) This weekend I shot two hours of 4k h.265 high bitrate video with the LCD on, and the battery didn't run down that I could see. Camera got warm, for sure. Without the powerbank, that's 3 batteries' work. 

16 hours ago, EphraimP said:

It has to be PD compatible power source (9V) for continuous power without battery depletion. Regular USB power (5V) can only trickle charge.

1 minute ago, androidlad said:

It has to be PD compatible power source (9V) for continuous power without battery depletion. Regular USB power (5V) can only trickle charge.

That makes sense. I'm using an older Anker battery with a fast 5V port and a regular one. And I'm pretty sure the Ronin's port is only 5V. Guess I'll stick to the dummy battery and V-mount for super long stuff, which really be very often. I had a second Fuji battery, which would have been helpful, but lost the damn thing taking shots while backpacking. Oh well.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:49 AM, EphraimP said:

Good news if you haven't had a problem with this technique. Now I have the rec triger fuji cable and I can't anyway power my XT3 with my Ronin. But I use a long 2m USB-C cable and I gaff a loop about 40-50cm on the SC's handle and I wear my anker  in my pocket or in a small shoulder bag. Works fine and lightweight!

IMG_7248.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg